looking at some used XJs

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
werd to the rust thing....

my xj had fewer miles than my gtp but rust in the craziest places- like inside the truck under interior panels and stuff.

i had major prolllems when i lifted mine- working on it... the front bolts on the rear leaf springs froze inside of the sleeves they go through, and wouldn't come out to save my life... they were spinning- but basically just became part of the sleeve. it sucked, eventually they had to be hardcore torched out of.

also the top of the shocks- the studs are going to break if you replace touch them. its not if. they will. i looked at mine and they broke... most xj guys get bolts back through the dealio by cutting holes in the floor. which was messed the f up to me, cuz im not one to hacksaw shit. so i used some mechanics wire and fished it through holes forever away from the deal... then i fished them through the deal and then put nuts on em with a impact and just hammered down on em.

i liked my newer one because it had coil packs right on the plugs and was super smooth that way.. but yeah i dunno im just blabbing now.

i miss mine occasionally. kind of.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah definitely wouldn't lift it, really wouldn't modify it all too much. Just basic maintenance stuff. Would like to find a "newer" one, with the more rounded tail lights, but we'll see, there doesn't seem to be all too much out there, but I am definitely waiting for the right one to come along.

GraFFix

A 302 and a little boost
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
Good luck I spent a good month looking for mine...even started looking in Indiana and Wisconsin. Looked at a bunch and they were either beat up or rusting..etc. I finally found a clean 97 with 78k on it for a great price. Ive had it for 2 years so far and the only thing I had a problem with was the AC compressor. I slapped a new one on had it recharged and I got colder air then Ive had in any car ive owned. Other then that Ive changed the oil and filters and drive it like I stole it.

Things to check...Oil leaks, floorboards, under body rust those are the most common issues.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
jeep AC and heat ftw :fy:

yeah the axles kinda suck on them too, but do ok under normal driving conditions....lol

finding a well maintained one is key. a very regular customer at my shop an 01 cherokee with 105k miles that looks and drives like it's new off the showroom. not a spot of rust anywhere, and it's been meticulously maintained all it's life. it's white, and i would buy it in a heartbeat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info