3800 Looking at minivans

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The Honda Odysseys have 260hp. That's my choice if I have to be seen in a Minivan. You might consider a 2004ish Expidition. They can be had for cheap, come with a powerful engine that gets decent mileage, and have the rear tv and all that jazz.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Grand Caravan family here. On our second one. First one went to 140k, had a sticky lifter around90k but never bothered me. This ones at 120k did replace the engine and rebuilt trans under warranty at 90k, bought it with 66k. I like the room better over the Honda. And I feel you get a lot more for your money out of the Dodge.

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
I swore to myself, even if I have two or three kids that I would NEVER buy a minivan, but that's me. Based off the specs you gave me, with $20-$22k to spend and buying USED, I've made a couple picks for ya...

2002 Cadillac Escalade -- $21995 with 86k miles on it (located in Madison, WI)
12-15MPG CITY, 15-18MPG HWY

3123A.jpg

3123A.05.jpg

Has the screens in the headrests already with what appear to be wireless headsets!
I could definitely see Vogel Stylin' in this Ride!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Cadillac SRX -- $21998 with 59.5k miles on it (located in Brookfield, WI)
15–16MPG CITY, 20–23MPG HWY

R5284.jpg

R5284.05.jpg

R5284.16.jpg

3rd Row Seating, Fully Loaded, 320-hp, 4.6-liter V-8 (also avail: 255-hp -- 3.6-liter V-6)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 GMC Envoy SLT -- $21995 with 47k miles on it (located in Belleville, IL)
15–16MPG CITY, 20 – 21MPG HWY

9278.jpg

9278.04.jpg

9278.08.jpg

My father had one of these and I really enjoyed driving it, lots of rear space!

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey get high marks from everyone I talk to.

There is a guy I know who has purchased 2 Siennas now in the last 12 years or so and swears by them.

My Dad bought and 02 Honda Odyssey and loves it. No problems watsoever. BTW, you can still fit full sheets of drywall and plywood in the odyssey. To my knowledge, its the only newer mini van that is able to do. All the old minis use to though.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
We have an 02 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (3.8L with Autostick), and my family likes it especially with the moonroof we had installed and entertainment center for the road trips. We opted for the captains chairs so that seems to appeal more to my siblings than a bench, if those are even an option anymore. Unfortunately its on its 3rd transmission at 83k or so miles. My dad seems to get pretty good gas mileage when hes taken it to Canada. Though I did inspect the spark plugs and they could use replacement at their current mileage. Def. not going to give decent performance at 100k.

First went under factory warranty (we bought an aftermarket warranty for it too), the one they replaced it with fucked itself after a week, and the one its on now seems to be holding fine. The repairs we've incurred besides those were a heatercore replacement, VSS, and and alternator (making some weird sound when you shut off the car).

I suppose I wouldnt really suggest it, but I wouldnt say its the worst minivan you could purchase. I'd suggest having a warranty though, Chrysler STILL sucks at FWD transmissions.

My g/f's family seems to have had very good luck with their first gen Toyota Sienna, and I imagine they wouldnt hesistate to buy another if something tragic were to happen to it. The only service it has been in for has been for maitenance as far as I know.

My buddy's family has a second gen Honda Odyssey, and havent had any problems with it that I'm aware of, and my neighbor is on his second 3rd gen Odyssey, so I think he's happy with them.

2 Kids and two German Shepards in a 2002 YukonXL Denali fit great and still plenty of seating for 3 more!

Gas mileage is 13.5 regardless of how I drive (city / highway). Impressive nonetheless from a 395HP 6.0L that is AWD. I love the truck, and I can fit a 4x8 sheet of drywall in the back with the door CLOSED! I have used it more as a truck than I EVER thought I would.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
The Pacifica is nice, but just not enough room with 3 kids, and stuff.

I kind of like Caravans and town and country's. Possibly an suv, but its going to have to be big; as in guzzles gas.

Any opinions?

We are buying used, and looking around 20-22K.[/b]

My family had a Dodge Grand Caravan when I was a kid. It was nice, but I think my dad had to but two transmissions into it. We bought it with like 1,000 miles :lolsign: and sold it with 60K

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I swore to myself, even if I have two or three kids that I would NEVER buy a minivan, but that's me. Based off the specs you gave me, with $20-$22k to spend and buying USED, I've made a couple picks for ya...

2002 Cadillac Escalade -- $21995 with 86k miles on it (located in Madison, WI)
12-15MPG CITY, 15-18MPG HWY
[/b]

Its partially because of people that think like you that we have high gas prices. So many USELESS un-needed SUV's on the road today. Look at that shitbox. Its got a brush guard, I guess the expensive front ene will need to be protected when it goes off-road. But It will NEVER GO offroad! The closest thing to off-road will be when the bitch that buys it takes little johnny and little susie to soccer practice.

Useless car. Towing stuff or carrying lots of things is one thing but when I see someone at soccer practice or putting two bags from the grocery store in the back is pisses me off.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I hate it when people say that... How is it useless if you can afford it? How is it any different than driving a pickup truck that gets the same mileage and not using it for it's utility? No different at all.

I drive in my Excursion by myself 90% of the time and I have no reserve doing so.

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
My parents have had like 5 Dodge/Chrysler Minivans. My dad currently has an 07 Town & Country fully loaded, his previous was a 99 T&C I believe that now my older sister drives, and it has had some problems in the last year, transmission and the A/C going out. But he always had the extended warranty and they covered it all. I liek them, we won't ever have one, but it's nice for families with 3 kids or more if you travel a lot with them.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I hate it when people say that... How is it useless if you can afford it? How is it any different than driving a pickup truck that gets the same mileage and not using it for it's utility? No different at all.

I drive in my Excursion by myself 90% of the time and I have no reserve doing so.
[/b]

I just hate it when people drive these huge SUV's for no reason other than "it looks cool" or "it looks big" or "its safe". These things suck down gas causing a bigger demand, causing higher gas prices for all of us. They pollute the earth, and there a hazard for other people on the road. I dont know about you guys but I wouldn't want to be plowed into by some cell phone talking bitch in a huge SUV that realizes her 4500 pound truck cant stop as good as a car. I know you probably tow cars and haul parts in your Excursion but I hate when I see a lady loading two bags into the back of her huge SUV at Jewel then trying to back out (while on cell phone) and almost running over a Civic because she cant see it.

Ron, just buy a Montana, put a L67 into it and be done. :)

4423eaf2-1e84-4618-af4f-9254f805d091.JPG
The Pacifica is nice, but just not enough room with 3 kids, and stuff.

I kind of like Caravans and town and country's. Possibly an suv, but its going to have to be big; as in guzzles gas.

Any opinions?

We are buying used, and looking around 20-22K.
[/b]

Look into the Infiniti QX56 4WD my mom jus got 1 its nice it has ab/320 hp it is a v-8..it is big 2..it fits 8 ppl...

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Honda Odyssey is the way to go in the minivan area. No ands, ifs, or buts. Proven by consumers choice and ratings. Toyota Sienna is right along with the Odyssey - but Odyssey looks much better IMO.

If I was to buy one - it would be the Odyssey. I will never - ever -ever ever buy a mini van though ;) Thats just like giving up! LOL!

J.E.T.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I just hate it when people drive these huge SUV's for no reason other than "it looks cool" or "it looks big" or "its safe". These things suck down gas causing a bigger demand, causing higher gas prices for all of us. They pollute the earth, and there a hazard for other people on the road. I dont know about you guys but I wouldn't want to be plowed into by some cell phone talking bitch in a huge SUV that realizes her 4500 pound truck cant stop as good as a car. I know you probably tow cars and haul parts in your Excursion but I hate when I see a lady loading two bags into the back of her huge SUV at Jewel then trying to back out (while on cell phone) and almost running over a Civic because she cant see it.

Ron, just buy a Montana, put a L67 into it and be done. :)
[/b][/quote]

Hippy

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I've seen my wife's Dodge average 31 on the highway. Thats huge compared to those SUV numbers. Insurance will also be lower. Honda has had lots of transmission problems over the years to. Price wise Honda and Toyota hold there value to much for buying used. With the Dodges depreciation you can get a lot more for your money. And I don't care about resale myself. My family thrashes them within a few months. No one would ever want to own our vans when we finish with them!!!!lol

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
caravans can be had pretty cheap, but the transmissions do, as others have said, have a tendency to go out.... typically before 120K. depending on how new/old you are looking, and how cheaply, dont shoot me, but go find a previa. they'll typically last FRIGGEN FOREVER and im not a toyota fan.... buddy's family has 2 or 3, (they just lost one @ 288k miles. and they seem to be very low maintenance... but get this... you check the oil from under the driver seat :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info