Looking at a used 17 Ram 4wd 5.7...thoughts?

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio
If your only planning on keeping the truck 2-3 years, by the ram, past that it will be rusty. I just sold my ‘13 FX4, paid 35k for it in January ‘14 with 9k miles, sold it in September’19 for 35k with 64k on it. I maintained it, and got all my money back, hardly seems like a good reason to buy another?

I like the looks of the ram, I just don’t like seeing rust scabs on a late model truck though.

Reactions: guspech750

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Been looking for a truck and am between an F150 & Ram. Both V8 and 4wd. The Chevy's just look ugly IMO. The F150's seem to all be a few thousand dollars more. Not looking for anything loaded. I came across a few Ram's and would like thoughts on them as far as reliability and dependability. Could care less about gas milage.

11 - 17 5.0 F150 is worth looking at.

Tundra and Tacoma too (reliability).

Reactions: Unitsn4

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
My dad bought a '17 Ram Limited 5.7 4x4 in September. I've driven it a few times and like it a lot. The interior is great and it just feels solid. The 8 speed trans feels smooth and never feels like it's hunting for gears.

He traded in his 2012 Ram for the '17. The '12 didn't have any rust issues and spent its life outside. The '12 was a good truck with no reliability issues while he owned it. I drove it quite a bit whenever I needed to tow my car or haul something. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Ram truck for myself.

Reactions: Unitsn4

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Take a look at the every Ram you see on road. I have yet to see many 4th gens in general (2009+) that have rust issues. GM's are much worse. It's all bullshit preconceived notions just like the trans will fall out after 50k miles. There's a reason Ram has taken over the #2 truck spot. I bought my Ram brand new in 2015 and have put 105k+ miles on it. The truck has been virtually trouble free. The biggest issues were the rear defroster went out (fixed under warranty), broken exhaust manifold bolts (also fixed under warranty, the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain) and now the back up camera has moisture inside. Engine, trans, axles, transfer case have been flawless. Not a spec of rust or even any signs rust could be starting... Ram makes a good truck, I like it way more than the 07 F150 I had before.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
IMO reliability among the big 3 trucks is basically the same for the newer models. They all have rather insignificant issues, with no manufacturer being worse than the other. Most guys that disagree with this are still living in the 2000's and don't know shit about newer trucks, or they got unlucky with a certain manufacturer and think it applies to all their products.

Buy based on appearance/interior/budget/performance/whateverisimportanttoyou and don't look back.

If it breaks one day and you think "Ah man shoulda bought a ferd" just look up the issues on the f150forum and you'll feel better. Shit happens

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
If you can squeeze a new ram I would do that with the very large incentives. If u have any questions u can pm me I have contacts at a few dealers.

Looks like they all have 0 for 72. I don't want to be tied up that long in a payment since the college bills will be rolling in during that time.
A good friend of mine owns a Ford dealer in Oswego. I have him looking out, too.

I still have the bird & SS. My 02 F150 needs to go. It's my beater, but I don't want to put any more money into it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Take a look at the every Ram you see on road. I have yet to see many 4th gens in general (2009+) that have rust issues. GM's are much worse. It's all bullshit preconceived notions just like the trans will fall out after 50k miles. There's a reason Ram has taken over the #2 truck spot. I bought my Ram brand new in 2015 and have put 105k+ miles on it. The truck has been virtually trouble free. The biggest issues were the rear defroster went out (fixed under warranty), broken exhaust manifold bolts (also fixed under warranty, the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain) and now the back up camera has moisture inside. Engine, trans, axles, transfer case have been flawless. Not a spec of rust or even any signs rust could be starting... Ram makes a good truck, I like it way more than the 07 F150 I had before.

They all rust.

they all suck and will rust eventually.

crazy how cheap these things are used- that 17 he's talking about for 22k is crazy.

edit. well. the fords likely won't :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
IMO reliability among the big 3 trucks is basically the same for the newer models. They all have rather insignificant issues, with no manufacturer being worse than the other. Most guys that disagree with this are still living in the 2000's and don't know shit about newer trucks, or they got unlucky with a certain manufacturer and think it applies to all their products.

Buy based on appearance/interior/budget/performance/whateverisimportanttoyou and don't look back.

If it breaks one day and you think "Ah man shoulda bought a ferd" just look up the issues on the f150forum and you'll feel better. Shit happens

:werd:

get the most whatever you can for your money and fuckin' send it.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
I have a 17 Ram 1500 5.7 Laramie, and I've had zero complaints, hasn't been to the dealer for anything but oil changes in the 2.5 years that I've owned it. In regard to the rust, the 3rd gens were terrible because Dodge put some insulation inside the bed walls that held moisture and salt, eventually eating a hole in the bed above the rear wheels. Early 4th gens had some rust issues, but they are also 11 years old at this point, and I haven't seen any of the later 4th gens (2012+) with any rust issues.... yet. I can tell you that the interior is awesome, and the ride is the best out of the big 3, very comfy on road trips.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
The Ram trucks are pretty stout.

Rust issues are not as common as you might thing, just a common misconception from owners that hear this or that from the interwebz.

Father has a 2013 big horn and a bit under 70K miles. No issues, but, he has the infamous head tick starting to come around.

Otherwise, they are great trucks overall and look pretty good too.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
rust is such a ridiculous thing, we have some work trucks that have never seen inside of a building in their life, and rarely if ever get washed, that don't have a spec of body rust...

then you can look at the 11-16 super dutys that started rusting from inside out on the door seems and it's like wtf did you just not try this go round

Reactions: Grabber

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
rust is such a ridiculous thing, we have some work trucks that have never seen inside of a building in their life, and rarely if ever get washed, that don't have a spec of body rust...

then you can look at the 11-16 super dutys that started rusting from inside out on the door seems and it's like wtf did you just not try this go round

I’ve wondered the same thing. We’ve had 88-98 GM trucks that stayed crazy clean for years. Then the 99-06’s pretty much left the showroom with no rockers. (More so 99-03’s)

Reactions: Yaj Yak

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
The biggest problems I’ve seen with Rams (and I know this doesn’t exactly aim at 1500’s) is from the heavy duty side of them. There is a shop I dealt with at my last job and there was always 3500+ dodges there getting the frames fixed and stiffened because the metal they used was so weak it had issues. And this was on super clean tow trucks / flatbeds/ etc, with no rust to be found, they just would have frame issues by the motor and back by where the rear front leaf spring mount.
I will say I really like the Rams look and interiors. I’d love me a 2500 Cummins.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’ve wondered the same thing. We’ve had 88-98 GM trucks that stayed crazy clean for years. Then the 99-06’s pretty much left the showroom with no rockers. (More so 99-03’s)

right? it's like how can one generation be AIGHT and the next it's like wtf did you do.

we've had a few 07ish tundras... they were minty AF when we wnt to sell, but then you read about the frame issues they had before it and it's like wtf.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
market share talk moved here:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
In regard to the rust, the 3rd gens were terrible because Dodge put some insulation inside the bed walls that held moisture and salt, eventually eating a hole in the bed above the rear wheels.
I have an 07 NNBS Silverado where they did this. The truck has 175k+ miles and is mechanically 100%, interior is 95%+. I take good care of her, she’s been an exceptional vehicle. Saying that, the rear wheel arches are rotted out. The underside of the bed rails are rusted out, being held together by the spray-in bed liner. The roll pans (both sides) are completely gone. They did a shit job in that area.

Angers me because I love the truck and have always planned on keeping it forever, still do. But would need to replace the whole bed and that’s some serious $$$.

Looking at all the reviews (professional, friendly) and comments, I suspect my replacement will be a RAM, they’re really doing great lately. But hopefully not for years to come, cause I’m attached to my truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info