Long term Optima review

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Why not I’m in the mood. Bought my base 13 Kia Optima new and it has served me well 130k miles later. Just needed cheap, reliable transportation into the city for work everyday so a base model it was. Let’s go over the good the bad and the ugly.

Ugly: headlights. Why even have them on this car? They do nothing. My 50yo car with halogen bulbs is light years ahead of this car in this department, and that’s not an exaggeration. Two kerosene lanterns duct taped to the bumper would be just as effective and look cooler.

The stereo. Admittedly I’m a bit def but it’s like the stereo has gas and is trying to keep it down in church. The sound itself isn’t bad, but the volume is. I even replaced the speakers for more sensitive ones just to be able to use Bluetooth on the highway lol.

Ride. Stiff and unforgiving. And This is with the 16” wheels. Now, changing tires was a vast improvement but it’s still a go cart. I drive a truck for work so getting into the Kia after work feels no different at times over big bumps.

Bad- Road noise. It’s a bit loud on the highway.

Brakes. Even new they sucked. I’ve tried different pads and rotors but there’s a bit of a lack in confidence with these brakes.

Window lock feature from the drivers seat. You would think if the driver wants the windows locked he’d want to be in control of them but nope. Hit window lock and nobody in the car can move one up or down lol.

Seat setting. Tilt and raising it up or down are tied together on the same motion with manual seat control. It sucks. I want the seat bottom tilted back a bit, but that’s also going to lower it.

Good-reliability. 1 battery, tires, oil and a few sets of brakes. Has also gone through 2 sets of wheel bearings but that’s it after 130k miles.

Ergonomics. Everything feels right at home. The seats themselves are comfortable. Driving position in very comfortable for me.

Drivetrain. It’s a go cart, but here it’s a fun aspect. It even rides like one but damn can this thing get tossed around and you don’t have to give a fuck about it. I have the na 2.4. Getting some lifter tick at first start up but only for less than 2 seconds. This car has served me well in numerous road rage battles, it holds its own pretty damn well.

Interior. Even with stiff riding it doesn’t rattle. It’s held up amazingly well inside. Look and feel is great for the price range it’s in. Coupled with the ergonomics it’s a great place to be in.

All in all, it did everything I asked of it and excelled in a few categories. I plan to drive it till it blows up but will be replacing it with a newer one for sure. I just have to check off a few more boxes like better headlights, electric seats, and better stereo.

EC024661-30C4-484D-ADB7-BB396361385B.png

4F8404EE-1873-45D6-B6E2-31AA974AFA81.png

3C79E63B-3C40-4699-87C3-ECD3C97C4AA1.png

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Great White Drake
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list