• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Logging a second IAT sensor? HPT 3bar OS

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Wanted to break this topic off of my build thread...

Anyone out there in TCG land know if you can add a second (stock) IAT sensor to a fbody PCM and log data from it?

I need to start logging ambient air temp. This seems like a logical thing to do via the PCM... maybe with the EGR or old MAF inputs?

I'm WAAAAAY outside of my understanding of the PCM at that point... I guess I'd have to see what signal the PCM expects from both of those sensors under normal operating conditions, figure out how to make the IAT sensor output its data in the same format, then figure out how to "convert" the data on the other end....

That sounds like a PITA... anyone know an easier way!? :rofl:

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Its been years though since I've done it so I don't remember the details on how to do it but I used to log trans temps pre and post Cooler when I was trying to find a really effective place to mount it. Its just like logging a Wideband on HPT you have to plug the output of the sensor directly into the HPT box and set the parameters in HPT accordingly. No need to go through the PCM though.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Hrmm 5v signal... should be able to drop this straight into HPT then with one of its inputs...

IAT.jpg

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Most folks only run WB data through the EGR if they don't have the inputs at the scan tool from what I recall... I have 4 or 5 inputs with the HPT pro scanner though... wondering if its just easier to pipe it in directly rather than dick with getting it piped into the PCM...

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock IAT? :dunno:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
1999+ LS1 PCM EGR Pin-Out:
Blue Connector:
Pin 41 - Black, EGR Pintle Position Ground - Grey wire
Pin 47 - Grey, EGR Pintle Position Sensor 5V Reference - Black wire
Pin 55 - Brown, EGR Pintle Position Sensor Signal - Blue wire

Here's the sensor and wiring, only 2 wires...
GM_IAT_For_AEM_web.jpg

Would I only need Pin 47 (5v reference) and Pin 55, for signal if I wanted to route it into the EGR?

Otherwise... for routing to HPT, maybe I can steal 5v from something else and feed one side of the IAT sensor with that and then pipe it straight into the AUX input on the HPT MPVI box?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
you need the 5v reference and the easiest 2 wire setup i found was a spdt switch on the tft circuit.
hell you could install a rotary switch and have the potential to log the temp of your farts.
i just always figured that with a pre and post ic sensor if you did 6 runs at 3 each position that enough data to get an average....the more runs the better you can toss erroneous data

some info from alldata
IAT
Intake Air Temperature Sensor
The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor (3) is a thermistor which changes value based on the temperature of air entering the engine. Low temperature produces a high resistance (100,000 ohms at -40°C/-40°F) , while high temperature causes low resistance (70 ohms at 130°C/266°F) . The PCM supplies a 5 volt signal to the sensor through a resistor in the PCM and measures the voltage. The voltage will be high when the incoming air is cold, and low when the air is hot. By measuring the voltage, the PCM calculates the incoming air temperature.
The IAT sensor signal is used to adjust spark timing according to incoming air density. The scan tool displays temperature of the air entering the engine, which should read close to ambient air temperature when engine is cold, and rise as underhood temperature increases. If the engine has not been run for several hours (overnight) the IAT sensor temperature and engine coolant temperature should read close to each other. A failure in the IAT sensor circuit should set DTC P0112 or DTC P0113.

TFT range
Sensor Resistance Hot 70 ohms at 266 deg F Sensor Resistance Cold 1000,000 ohms at -40 deg F
The transaxle fluid temperature sensor is a thermistor which changes value based on the temperature of the Transaxle fluid. A high transaxle fluid temperature may cause the vehicle to operate in Hot Mode. While in Hot Mode, shift points may be altered, 4th gear disabled, and TCC forced ON in 2nd gear.

A failure in the TFT sensor or associated wiring should cause DTC P0712 or P0713 to set. In this case, a value based on engine coolant temperature will be substituted for the TFT sensor value, and the Transaxle will operate normally. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code Tables. See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
im guessing that if you te'd the 5vref through a resister into the sensor signal then just ran sens signal and ground to the egr sensor inputs youd be close...if you knew the exact resistance on the IAT/TFT 5v ref resisters you could have it damn near the original temp pid equation

meh im not really thinking too hard about it, im staring at my garage mess and drinking coffee, so just take these as ramblings

now that im thinking about it your probably gonna have to calibrate/test your sensors at several different temps to make sure you have a matched set to elimnate variables ...at least without switching sensor locations, which id figure to be a cunt, so its worth walking into the parts store with three thermos's of hot warm and cold water and a dvom :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
just label sensor location and assign a number and just give the number of revs tps increases at the start of your log and youll always know what sensor was in use on that log

replace your radiator dammit, im telling you even an oem replacement will be better than that gunked up junk

But i'm talking IC cooling issues, not radiator issues... :io:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Most folks only run WB data through the EGR if they don't have the inputs at the scan tool from what I recall... I have 4 or 5 inputs with the HPT pro scanner though... wondering if its just easier to pipe it in directly rather than dick with getting it piped into the PCM...

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock IAT? :dunno:

I would pipe directly to HPT. It will be easier to just do it direct and you have more freedom of movement to set your own custom formula with that versus doing a semi-ghetto rig through another sensors circuit.

Yeah, I think I might just give it a whirl... I setup a custom input in HPT... maybe just wire one up? I THINK I have a stocker IAT somewhere. Will have to locate it.

Do I just ground one side and run the other side to the scanner then?! :dunno:

The IATS does not have a polarity since it is just a thermistor. You can hook up either pole to your 5v feed wire and send the other pole to your HPT MPVI to log. All resistors, except the diode kind and possibly a few others I am not thinking about, are not polarized.

I made a Powerpoint slide a while back for the different IATS resistance values at different temperatures for some nitrous timing tuner box stuff I was building then but it will work for you too. Between this and the voltage table also in the powerpoint it should give you all the information to set your formula up in HPT VCM Scanner. Let me know if you don't have Microsoft Office and I will convert it for you. I attached a few pictures from the slides that you may find most helpful. The regular calibration data that comes with the GM external IATS is:

Temperature Ohms
48 degrees F 7000
87 degrees F 1930
146 degrees F 560

The following IATS calibration tables are from the tunefile calibrations in those car's just to be used as examples. The last table that appears fuzzy is a Ford IATS calibration table whose IATS reads different resistance per a given temperature. But since their IATS operates off of 5v ref you can use the resistance and resulting voltage values at said resistance to set your formula for your GM IATS logging.

Attachments

• Factory IATS Resistance Values.zip
    175.8 KB · Views: 46
  • GM IATS Resistor Values2.jpg
    GM IATS Resistor Values2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Ford IATS resistance_values.jpg
    Ford IATS resistance_values.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 61

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
ps with additional IAT sensors (or just ziptieing them in a new spot) you can check how well your radiator is pumping out heat, ambient/pre ic roadway air temp, post ic temp, then a post radiator temp

then the other two you just put on the IC inlet and outlet

it would let you see how well everythings working

over-engineered and actually probably fairly cheap aside from the sensor purchase of a matching set

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
My wideband is hooked through my egr... Was really easy iirc

Do you have hpt? If so you must teach me the way. I tried following a write up online but couldn't get my wideband to read in hpt. I am wondering if my egr isn't even wired up from the swap though. Anyone know which pinout number the egr signal wire is? Might be the problem

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Do you have hpt? If so you must teach me the way. I tried following a write up online but couldn't get my wideband to read in hpt. I am wondering if my egr isn't even wired up from the swap though. Anyone know which pinout number the egr signal wire is? Might be the problem

you figure out those oil feed fittings? i can give you the wiring info but considering how you can judge thread size....:drums::jg:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info