local 597

GIMPY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 21, 2009
Elgin
The fitters have been very good to me, but I think I'm pretty good at what I do...lol

Are you looking to get into the service end or construction?

To me it doesn't really matter. As long as there is work I'm happy.. but at that starting hour I'm already taking a hit I can't afford to loose. As of this month I have 10 yrs experience. Multiple certs from aws. I know union has there own certs etc so they will probably just look at those and laugh

GIMPY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 21, 2009
Elgin
My buddy is a fitter and cannot get any work. Been mostly unemployed since the BP build finished up. He is very frustrated with it and thinking about a career change, especially with a newborn in the house now.

Wow that's pretty bad. I use to do alot of welding in the food industry. Tig welding chocolate melting pots and such for some big candy companies. But I was max out on pay so I left. Went back to a job closer to home to save money on gas. If ur buddy can tig weld really nice tell him to drop by savage brothers corporation out of elk grove and fill an app out. Don't mention my name cuz there pissed I left..

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
To me it doesn't really matter. As long as there is work I'm happy.. but at that starting hour I'm already taking a hit I can't afford to loose. As of this month I have 10 yrs experience. Multiple certs from aws. I know union has there own certs etc so they will probably just look at those and laugh
Sounds to me like you should definitely try for the construction end with your welding experience. I'm a UA certified welder SMAW/TIG mild/stainless, and that's honestly what kept me working when times were bad. The union will love your welding experience and will most likely help out a lot in getting into the program.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you can take a pay cut for a bit. Journeymen make $46/hr. We have the best health coverage around, a good pension, and a 401k that the employer contributes $6/hr to.

Like I said, if you're a good fitter, you'll mostly stay working. I'm a construction fitter and get paid over scale, have a company vehicle, gas card, cell phone, and get a couple weeks paid vacation.

GIMPY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 21, 2009
Elgin
Sounds to me like you should definitely try for the construction end with your welding experience. I'm a UA certified welder SMAW/TIG mild/stainless, and that's honestly what kept me working when times were bad. The union will love your welding experience and will most likely help out a lot in getting into the program.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you can take a pay cut for a bit. Journeymen make $46/hr. We have the best health coverage around, a good pension, and a 401k that the employer contributes $6/hr to.

Like I said, if you're a good fitter, you'll mostly stay working. I'm a construction fitter and get paid over scale, have a company vehicle, gas card, cell phone, and get a couple weeks paid vacation.

That sounds like you got urself into a very good position. I'd love to be in your shoes. Things I hate the most is being stuck in a welding booth doing production parts been doing that my entire career and it gets so damn boring. I feel like a bird stuck in a cage 90% of the time lmao. Hopefully by next month I'll be able to stop down and fill out an app. Thank you for the information. Its much appreciated.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
That sounds like you got urself into a very good position. I'd love to be in your shoes. Things I hate the most is being stuck in a welding booth doing production parts been doing that my entire career and it gets so damn boring. I feel like a bird stuck in a cage 90% of the time lmao. Hopefully by next month I'll be able to stop down and fill out an app. Thank you for the information. Its much appreciated.

No problem! And I hear ya on the fab shop stuff. I did a little of that back in the day and it wasn't for me. Honestly, I don't even enjoy welding all that much anymore. What I really enjoy is the layout/design aspect of the job. The company I'm at now does mostly smaller type jobs so I rarely spend more than a few months at the same place, and a lot of times I'll be doing a job that is a couple days to a few weeks long. Keeps me from getting bored.

Lemme know if you have any questions, I'll try and point you in the right direction.:bigthumb:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info