3800 Limited slip questions...

VHGTP

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
well, i am thinking about gettin one of these LSDs for X-mas but i am not sure which one is the best. the Cya Racing LSD looks good and is cheaper ($499). the Quiafe one looks kind of overpriced but is it the same thing?? also, is there anybody that belongs to ilgpc that has experience installing these? i would pay with beer and $$$!! :eek: :p i think if i went to a transmission shop they would rape me on cash. any feedback would be great! thanks! :D

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Differences: The C-Ya and Intense LSD are clutch type LSD's. They use a clutch in the differential to pre-load the gears. The quaiffe is a Torque Sensing (sp?), or Torsen, differential that does all of it's work through gearing, no clutches to wear out. I have heard that some people have had issues with still having one wheel burnouts with the quaiffe, but i am not cerain why. A lot more expensive, but i think they are capable of taking more punishment than a clutch type differential.

Bc

GTPictor

Addict
Nov 16, 2008
McHenry
I havent heard anyone having probs with a quaiffe and one wheel wonders but im sure if they did they had monster slicks on and a broken half shaft(not that it couldent happen any other way). I have the quaiffe and f*cking love it. I cant sit and roastem no more they stil spin but im movin'. After i read in a post that mike dye him self would go with a quiaffe over his and scotts lsd i bit the bullet and bought it and have never had a resason to look back. However ive heard alot of one wheel wonder horror stories fro mthe other lsd out there and have heard about people breking there lsd. I havent heard as of yet on quaiffe owner break thier diff yet ( I intend to be the 1st (i beat the hell out of my car)). If you got the cash go quaiffe if not im know mikers lsd would be my next choice.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by GTPictor@Nov 20 2003, 01:01 AM
I havent heard anyone having probs with a quaiffe and one wheel wonders but im sure if they did they had monster slicks on and a broken half shaft(not that it couldent happen any other way). I have the quaiffe and f*cking love it. I cant sit and roastem no more they stil spin but im movin'. After i read in a post that mike dye him self would go with a quiaffe over his and scotts lsd i bit the bullet and bought it and have never had a resason to look back. However ive heard alot of one wheel wonder horror stories fro mthe other lsd out there and have heard about people breking there lsd. I havent heard as of yet on quaiffe owner break thier diff yet ( I intend to be the 1st (i beat the hell out of my car)). If you got the cash go quaiffe if not im know mikers lsd would be my next choice.
FYI...Miker HAS broken a QUAIFFE.. :eek: :blink: <_<

and i believe he has a revised..c-ya, in it now.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
hey adam you would have to settle for the second to break a quaiffe diff. Miker broke one on his second trip out with it. Since he has gone back to his diff that stood up for 2 years of racing. Made a few refinements to it and now its better then before.

Also there are many cars out there running intenses lsd and they do one wheel burnouts big time. And thats with cars running 10.5 inch slicks and running low 13's. I know a few diffs have been broken on mikers lsd but I think its due more to worn cases and the gm gears not holding the power. Remember that most running low 12's and11's are very light and running intense diff's. There for less stress on the diff's. I think that is the number one reason for such a few breaks on these cars. I think you can count on one hand the number of broken C-ya diffs.I'm hoping next year to be putting down some serious power with a c-ya diff a very light car and running 1.6 60's to compete with the intense diff. We'll see what happens.

VHGTP

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
when i do the LSD i am also gonna have a Thrasher shift kit installed to.(might as well... right?) i am gonna buy a new transmission filter but what kind of transmission fluid should i use? the kind that came with the car... or is there a better high performance synthetic? i just dont want to fuck up the tranny cause i REALLY cant afford to be replacing one of those babies right now!

Yeah, just get non synthetic, and any brand will do. just make sure it is compatible with our transmissions. i forgot what they call it....it should say in your manual, or look on clubgp for a fast answer.... ATF Dexcron (??) III something like that.... you need about 7-8 quarts of fluid when you drop the pan and replace the filter.

I may have a thraser shift kit (medium setting) for sale. I don't have the extra parts to make firmer, cuz hales helped me put it in, and I don't remember taking the extra parts. i think he stole them from me ;)

this shift kit was taken out of my car before my trans was looked at. miker then put in a custom one with the rebuild. i think he said i got a medium setting again.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
OH also if your thinking of doing a shift kit cause your in the trans anyway to do the diff. Well think again two differant parts of the trans.And two totally differant jobs. If you don't want to replace the trans then stay away from a shift kit. I ran 105k with stock trans and stock shift kit making low 13 sec power.

VHGTP

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by gtphale@Nov 21 2003, 03:28 AM
OH also if your thinking of doing a shift kit cause your in the trans anyway to do the diff. Well think again two differant parts of the trans.And two totally differant jobs. If you don't want to replace the trans then stay away from a shift kit. I ran 105k with stock trans and stock shift kit making low 13 sec power.
what?? stock shift kit?? so what you are saying is NOT to put the LSD and the Thrasher shift kit in at the same time?? not sure what u meant!

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
the lsd is kinda on the side of thr trans.....you wont open up the tranny and need to change the fluid for that.

The shift kit is in the tranny, and you will open it up and have to change the fliud.....2 seperate jobs.

Id stay away from a shift kit. I think a shift kit on max is not to good for a stock tranny. It gotta put a ton more stress on stuff already. You want faster shift, get a PCM by one of our sponsers.....youll love it.

I got a DHP and SNM motor mounts and it shifts plenty fast and hard.

Could be harder but I dont wanna see my tranny go to fast now.

i only had my shift kit on medium, and it was fine, it was not the cause of my trans failure. it never shifted hard, just quicker. if it is set too hard, it can cause problems, but at medium, it won't cause problem, and will probably helps your clutches, because of less slipping.

on and hale, i have never seen the thrasher box, but i did have the stock springs, so i am not sure where it went....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info