🔧 BUILD LikeABauce302's 427 SBF Twin Turbo Build. 404 Error: LS Content Not Found

General Information

Since I've been on this site for awhile now, I figured its time to post up the project I've been working on. Some of you may recognize the car. The previous owner raced it quite a bit and ran it in the IMSM series.

Here is my 90 Mustang LX hatchback:

Mod list:

Engine:
-Stock block bored .040" over
-Stock crank
-Forged rods
-Forged pistons
-Balanced, machined, and assembled by Opel Engineering
-Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads
-Edelbrock Performer RPM II Intake
-Basically your typical stock block H/C/I SBF

Transmission:
-Freddy Brown Built AOD
-Manual valve body
-Transbrake
-3200 RPM stall converter

Front Suspension:
-AJE K-member and A-Arms
-94/95 Mustang spindles
-Moroso Trick springs
-Lakewood 90/10 shocks
-UPR Castor/Camber plates

Rear Suspension:
-TRZ double adjustable upper control arms
-TRZ single adjustable lower control arms
-stock springs
-Lakewood 70/30 shocks

Chassis and Rearend:
-Welded full length subframe connectors
-Welded torque boxes
-Aluminum driveshaft and safety loop
-Custom 9" rear end
-Roll cage soon to be installed

Brakes:
-Maximum Motorsports manual conversion kit
-94 Cobra master cylinder
-Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve
-Maximum Motorsports braided lines
-99 to 04 GT brakes all around

Wheels and Tires:
-Chrome Pony R Wheels
-Rear: 17x10 with 275/40/17 M/T ET Street Radials
-Front: 17x5.5 (narrowed by Weldcraft) with M&H Racemaster Radial Front Runners

There are probably a few things I'm missing. I bought the car in December of 2009 and it's been a work in progress ever since. It was a solid well built car when I bought it, but it needed some work to make it street driveable.

14a3bff6-3e36-4cbb-a12d-b8e88f8b2930.jpg

2014-12-16%2021.46.31.jpg

2014-10-23%2009.02.17.jpg

How the engine bay looked when I first started working on it:
DSC02625.jpg

Teardown and preparation for cleaning up the engine bay:
DSC02640.jpg

DSC02647.jpg

Beginning to fill in all of the holes in the engine bay:
DSC02651.jpg

DSC02659.jpg

296132931_photobucket_16719_.jpg

296132931_photobucket_35532_.jpg

Engine bay all finished:
IMG_20140502_202725.jpg

5 lug swap time:
20141216_214127.jpg

94 spindles all cleaned up and new hubs installed:
20141228_222027.jpg

Maximum Motorsports manual brake conversion with 94 Cobra master cylinder, and new UPR castor/camber plates:
20141228_221705.jpg

Finishing installing new brakes up front:
20150104_163234.jpg

Test fitting the new wheels
20141228_221304.jpg

I've still got some work to go. Before spring I'm going to freshen up the rear end and I'm planning on installing a Holley EFI system. If I have enough time and funds left over, I want to install a roll cage of some sort since I'm planning on running at the drag strip quite a bit.

1688880361145.png
Reactions: HeavyG and Rico

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Nice fox! I tried filling in all those little holes when I pulled the 5.0 out but called fuck it after like the 5th hole :rofl:

Who narrowed those front wheels for you? I really like those.

Weldcraft narrowed the front wheels. I bought the wheels used, already narrowed.

If you notice, I started filling in the factory panels, but later put cover up panels in place. I was getting sick and tired of welding every single hole and then grinding the welds smooth. The fender aprons are pretty thin, so they were starting to warp a little bit. If I ever do this again, I'm going to buy the pre-fabled Scott Rod panels. They weren't available when I did that project.

Gorgeous engine bay, nice car!

Thanks!

On Monday I'm taking my rear end assembly to a shop to figure out what to do with it. It needs to be straightened, reinforced, and rebuilt. I may consider a 9" so I have a bullet proof drivetrain that will handle whatever I throw at it if I decide to build a higher power engine in the future.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for the kind words! I'm hoping to have it out quite a bit this summer. I may scramble to get it ready to run true street at NMRA in Joliet this year.
looks good Matt..me & Doug sure miss it,car was very competitive in the Street Heat Class with many wins.
I wish IMSM was still around. I would love to run my car in a similar series. I'm trying to dial it in for the 11.0 NMRA true street class.

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
Weldcraft narrowed the front wheels. I bought the wheels used, already narrowed.

If you notice, I started filling in the factory panels, but later put cover up panels in place. I was getting sick and tired of welding every single hole and then grinding the welds smooth. The fender aprons are pretty thin, so they were starting to warp a little bit. If I ever do this again, I'm going to buy the pre-fabled Scott Rod panels. They weren't available when I did that project

Ohh ok. I didnt notice. I attempted welding the holes but it pissed me off too much so I stopped lol.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Whats all the rear end work costing you and who is doing it?

Im leaving my rear end completely untouched until something shatters. Lol

I'm taking it to VRN welding. I'm getting 9" ends welded on, it needs to be straightened, and I want bracing added. I may have coilover brackets welded on too, for future purposes.

I haven't gotten a price quote yet. I may go with a 9" if the cost to upgrade isn't that far off from a complete overhaul of my 8.8.

great thread Matt...we sure miss it man,ran consistent all day.
oldpics024_zpsf0013a09.jpg

Awesome picture! It's been a great car to own. I was in college when I bought the car and only had it to the track a couple times. Due to lack of time and being on a college kid budget, I just couldn't get it to the track. When i did run the car, it ran consistent times for me and was easy to drive.

Since I bought the car, I rebuilt the engine due to a blown headgasket. One of the fire rings blew out and got sucked into a cylinder and tore up the cylinder wall. Luckily the rest of the engine was okay.

I used the rebuild as an opportunity to upgrade a little bit so the engine would breathe better. I had the heads ported by hi flow heads and I went to a more aggressive cam.

I also replaced the transmission with a Freddy Brown built AOD. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the car gets off the line with the transbrake. I'm really hoping those improvements will get it closer to 11.0s on motor.

Along with that, I've installed a Nitrous Express plate kit. I'll probably spray a 50 shot just to get the car off the line even better and drop another 3 to 5 tenths off my ET.

The suspension hasn't been touched yet. I'm building the chassis and drivetrain to handle up to 1000 rwhp. After I have some fun with this setup, I want to step up to an n/a 408 or 427 stroker. At some point I'll have to install coilovers and an anti roll bar.

After I pulled the rear end out, I put one of my new wheels in place to get an idea how it would look. The Pony R wheels look perfect. I still haven't decided what wheels I am going to buy for drag racing. I'm on the lookout for a set of 5 lug 15" bigs and littles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Thread Info