🔧 BUILD LikeABauce302's 427 SBF Twin Turbo Build. 404 Error: LS Content Not Found

General Information

Since I've been on this site for awhile now, I figured its time to post up the project I've been working on. Some of you may recognize the car. The previous owner raced it quite a bit and ran it in the IMSM series.

Here is my 90 Mustang LX hatchback:

Mod list:

Engine:
-Stock block bored .040" over
-Stock crank
-Forged rods
-Forged pistons
-Balanced, machined, and assembled by Opel Engineering
-Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads
-Edelbrock Performer RPM II Intake
-Basically your typical stock block H/C/I SBF

Transmission:
-Freddy Brown Built AOD
-Manual valve body
-Transbrake
-3200 RPM stall converter

Front Suspension:
-AJE K-member and A-Arms
-94/95 Mustang spindles
-Moroso Trick springs
-Lakewood 90/10 shocks
-UPR Castor/Camber plates

Rear Suspension:
-TRZ double adjustable upper control arms
-TRZ single adjustable lower control arms
-stock springs
-Lakewood 70/30 shocks

Chassis and Rearend:
-Welded full length subframe connectors
-Welded torque boxes
-Aluminum driveshaft and safety loop
-Custom 9" rear end
-Roll cage soon to be installed

Brakes:
-Maximum Motorsports manual conversion kit
-94 Cobra master cylinder
-Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve
-Maximum Motorsports braided lines
-99 to 04 GT brakes all around

Wheels and Tires:
-Chrome Pony R Wheels
-Rear: 17x10 with 275/40/17 M/T ET Street Radials
-Front: 17x5.5 (narrowed by Weldcraft) with M&H Racemaster Radial Front Runners

There are probably a few things I'm missing. I bought the car in December of 2009 and it's been a work in progress ever since. It was a solid well built car when I bought it, but it needed some work to make it street driveable.

14a3bff6-3e36-4cbb-a12d-b8e88f8b2930.jpg

2014-12-16%2021.46.31.jpg

2014-10-23%2009.02.17.jpg

How the engine bay looked when I first started working on it:
DSC02625.jpg

Teardown and preparation for cleaning up the engine bay:
DSC02640.jpg

DSC02647.jpg

Beginning to fill in all of the holes in the engine bay:
DSC02651.jpg

DSC02659.jpg

296132931_photobucket_16719_.jpg

296132931_photobucket_35532_.jpg

Engine bay all finished:
IMG_20140502_202725.jpg

5 lug swap time:
20141216_214127.jpg

94 spindles all cleaned up and new hubs installed:
20141228_222027.jpg

Maximum Motorsports manual brake conversion with 94 Cobra master cylinder, and new UPR castor/camber plates:
20141228_221705.jpg

Finishing installing new brakes up front:
20150104_163234.jpg

Test fitting the new wheels
20141228_221304.jpg

I've still got some work to go. Before spring I'm going to freshen up the rear end and I'm planning on installing a Holley EFI system. If I have enough time and funds left over, I want to install a roll cage of some sort since I'm planning on running at the drag strip quite a bit.

1688880361145.png
Reactions: HeavyG and Rico

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'm finally getting started on swapping the new engine into the car. This past weekend I removed the trans and started taking things apart in the engine bay. At this point the engine is just being held in place by two bolts. I'll remove the hood and lift the engine out sometime this week. Once the engine is out, there is a small spot of rust on the passenger side frame rail that I want to fix before it gets any worse. It's just one spot about the size of a quarter where I noticed the paint bubbling.

I also began prepping the 427 for installation. I mocked up the headers and front motor plate. It's a tight squeeze, but the headers clear. I need to open up the water pump holes in the motor plate because they are slightly smaller than the ports on my Meziere electric water pump. I'll come up with a solution for that next weekend.

Now that the transmission is out, I will be sending it out to have the bell housing cut off and replaced with one that is SFI certified. I also need to order a new torque converter. I'll be figuring that out this week.

Here are some progress pics
vvNhZ5t.jpg

qT3T4WV.jpg

yahl62n.jpg

V7pjZU1.jpg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'm really hoping to have this car moving under it's own power this year. I'm going to try to do as much of the turbo fab as I can, but may end up calling in some help to finish welding the piping so I don't end up with a leaky mess.

My fuel system should be here within the next week and I just ordered an intercooler from CG fab. With most of the parts on hand now, I will be making progress pretty quickly.

Reactions: dpwalsh14

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
So this is how shit gets done when you don’t have kids! What engine management do you run?

It certainly does make it a little easier to work on the car without having kids lol. I have a Holley EFI HP system. It's been in the car for a few seasons. I purposely learned how to use it on the cheaper engine before I melt down one I care about.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Did a little more work this weekend. I finally pulled the old engine out. In typical fox body fashion I found a little bit of rust at the bottom of the passenger side shock tower.

There was a small spot where the paint was bubbling. I took a punch and hammer and gave it a couple whacks to see if it was solid, but sure enough it punched right through. I couldn't get any before pics because I quickly grabbed the cutoff wheel and went to town :LOL:. Luckily it was pretty minor and I was able to find clean metal without too much cutting. I'll pick up some steel plate tomorrow and weld it back up before next weekend.

"Old" engine that had less than 1,000 street miles and maybe 25 quarter mile passes on it :LOL:.
msF1fpO.jpg

Typical fox body feature
RyAzFM2.jpg

After some cutting, I found clean metal and it's almost ready to be welded back together.
lSB7qCy.jpg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Finally making some progress on the car again. A few weeks ago I ran into a road block while test fitting the engine. I couldn't get the engine down as low as I wanted, due to oil pan clearance issues with the K-member and steering rack. Since I'm mounting the engine to the body with plates, I was just going to space the K-member down and call it a day. As I removed my ancient AJE K-member, I decided to just sell it and order a new one from Team Z with matching A-arms. Like everything else currently, I had to wait for the new stuff to arrive. Fortunately it was only 4 weeks. I think the powder coater was backed up.

Here is a pic of the first test fit of the new engine. Header clearance is a little tight, but it fits like a glove.

Wf0hJGP.jpg

Then out came the engine again and now the K-member.

mL3ezQW.jpg

While the engine was back on the stand and my hands were tied waiting for suspension parts, I figured now was a good time to install my Motion Raceworks billet valve covers and coil brackets :love:

qGogK9A.jpg

ibo4k9j.jpg

Now fast forward to this past weekend when my new K-member and A-arms arrived. Yesterday I spent all afternoon in the garage and got the front end mostly put back together. The steering shaft doesn't reach now, but I think that will be an easy fix.

uGuRg1G.jpg

New K-member and A-arms installed, plus new Viking Crusader front coilovers and rear shocks installed. Ignore the ugly engine bay. Once I'm done with fab work, I'm going to pull the engine back out and paint it.

6ISFtR4.jpg

fGZ7TsH.jpg

6JFvxdb.jpg

And while I was motivated and making quick progress, I went ahead and hung my BBRC fuel tank and Magnafuel 750 pump.

1Kgg4qT.jpg

This weekend I'm going to try to get the engine back in it so I can figure out how and where to mount turbos.

Thread Info