License plate info please

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
Do I need or can I obtain a temporary license plate? Do I get it from Illinois or Texas? I know it’s been discussed here and I can’t remember what was discussed in the thread.

I bought a truck and it’s located in Texas. I’m debating on driving it back or possibly just trailer it back to Chicago and it’s not an issue. I wanted to ask those who have gone this route and obtained a plate either from the state where the vehicle is located or your home state?

Thanks for your time as always

Joe

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
Do I need or can I obtain a temporary license plate? Do I get it from Illinois or Texas? I know it’s been discussed here and I can’t remember what was discussed in the thread.

I bought a truck and it’s located in Texas. I’m debating on driving it back or possibly just trailer it back to Chicago and it’s not an issue. I wanted to ask those who have gone this route and obtained a plate either from the state where the vehicle is located or your home state?

Thanks for your time as always

Joe

Illinois only gives temp plate if you have the title. You would get the temp plate from the state your buying it in. I have drove 5+ cars across the country without a plate and never had issue. But if you want to be safe you would get the temp plate from Texas DMV. Make sure to check out what is required before going down there. Its NEVER an easy process without wasting a bunch of time.

Spectragod

Reaction score
If you have a title you can get a temp plate, if the vehicle is financed you can use the buyers order and the bank paperwork to obtain plates. Don’t forget insurance, even if you have grace time to apply, I always err on the side of caution and get a policy started with the bank info.

Of course, I’m in Ohio, the rules may be different in Illinois

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Might vary by state but you have multiple days to obtain plates or a temp tag. Even your insurance would cover a vehicle for 48 hours.

Is it from a dealer? I’d just rock one of their advertisement plates and just drive it back. I’ve done it multiple times with multiple cars and have never been pulled over and if you are you just have to prove you have insurance and just purchased it (bill of sale/title)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom