Lets try this again. New Focus RS - Take Two

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Tooks some pics of the car on the Winter tires earlier this week as I said good bye to the winter tire set and HELLO MPSS Nurse! I can't wait to rip around on/off ramps when the MPSS are warmed up. So much face distorting grip.

Cleaned up the calipers when I switched. I took the time to thoroughly wash both the summer and winter sets as the calipers. So swapping them took about 3 hours. And the calipers are still filthy from an entire winter without a single wash.

IMG_0283 by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

And some night time shots on the Winter set before they got put away.

IMG_0667 by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

IMG_0672 by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

IMG_0669 by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I still love the look of that car!
I know people criticize the ride for being punishing, and I agree that its stiff in normal, and punishing in Track.

But I give absolutely zero fucks when I'm hammering it around a bend and the car sticks like nothing I've ever been in. I can only imagine what its like on a set of R comps or slicks.
Looks great! Hopefully you wire brushed those rusty hubs and put a thin layer of antiseize on them.
Nah, gave up on that early on. I would worry if it had the stupid screw that Honda's and some others have that bolt the brake rotor to the hub. If it did I'd remove that asap because when that screw strip it sucks hard core.

I also did a 'mod'.

I purchased a Ford premium ESP for 5yr 75k miles bumper to bumper everything. I normally don't but honestly I've decided to keep the car. I'll probably start modding it next year. I mostly bought the ESP for the interior stuff like the Sync/climate/accessories.

I'll probably leave the engine alone for now and do a set of DSC Tractive coil overs. They are expensive, but come with a controller that connects to the Canbus and reads all of the driver inputs along with Yaw/g-force sensors so it can adjust the shocks on the fly. These are race level shocks that should take handling and ride quality up to the next level. They even support stuff like launch control to allow more rear weight transfer.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
the RS is still something special. I still don't see many of those on the road even today. Not like I do with ST's thats for sure.
Yeah I see Fiesta STs all over. Almost as many Focus STs.

still wouldn’t mind a Fiesta ST. They are so damned cheap I could easily make it happen. The 2014s can be found for less than $10k with decent miles.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I see a blue RS once or twice to week when I'm going to work. During winter, he hammered the throttle taking a left turn and it was fun to watch it stay planted and scoot. Whereas when I tried to do that in my GTI behind him and keep up, my traction control activated while rolling its eyes saying, "you can't keep up with that car around a low speed corner, moron!". :D

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I see a blue RS once or twice to week when I'm going to work. During winter, he hammered the throttle taking a left turn and it was fun to watch it stay planted and scoot. Whereas when I tried to do that in my GTI behind him and keep up, my traction control activated while rolling its eyes saying, "you can't keep up with that car around a low speed corner, moron!". :D
With my old ST I could feel a shudder coming from the inside front tire when I went WOT and feel the tire slipping. Problem would have gone away with a LSD, but Ford just has the open diff with a brake assisted diff.

With the RS is pretty much mash it all the time anywhere/everywhere and it does witchcraft with torque vectoring. Takes on-ramps at rediculous speeds no matter how ham fisted you are with the throttle. An RS really has no concept of understeer.

I disabled the AWD once because I had a notion that the car really wasn't using it much, but a short drive drove the point home. The system is working ALL the time, seamlessly shifting the torque around, even at part throttle. Its invisible until its not working.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

That kid lives in Naperville off of 103rd

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Oh shit son.

Time to h@x0rz my Focus.
1598562474825.png

Thread Info