Let's Talk Yak's (& I don't mean KJ)

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
what are you guys using? how are you transporting them, specifically you guys with pick-em-up trucks? I'm looking for a pair. I've had some super cheapo's in the past we kept at my cabin but they're long gone.

The first one should be at least a little fishing equipped a la rod holders, anchor tie downs & great stability. I'm ~195lbs & 6'2". I also prefer a sit-IN kayak.

The 2nd one is merely for lake/river cruising but again, stability is key. Not concerned with speed really but stability & maneuverability. This one is for a much smaller female in the 5'4" area. I'm feelin' sit-IN here as well.

Any paddle info too would be great.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
the j racks work the best IMO. I put two on top of my BMW, used throw them in the back of my tuck but they stick out so damn far being 10'+. In a pickup, the ideal way to do it would be a ladder rack, or a rail system on top of a tonneau cover/cap with those j bars. then the bed is still useable for other gear

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
as far as kayaks, I've got a pair of the bass pro house brand ones, ascend. forget the model number, they were about 4 bills each. there are a lot of reviews out there for kayaks, should be able to narrow your choices down pretty easily once you settle on a style and price range.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
yak-riding-xinjiang.jpg

very stable. i dont think htey mind how much you weigh, as long as you are not a sumo wrestler. will hold anything you will put on it.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Lightweight paddles are well worth the money. We had a set of carbon fiber ones that we'd always fight over who was going to use. A lightweight yak is also nice but I'm sure your use won't require much carrying of them. We would lug ours from the parking lot down to Montrose beach or even from the street through the park to the river. It's not that hard but it's nice when they're not too heavy.

I've also been thinking it be nice to pick up a pair of kayaks. Think my dads were stolen out of his back yard last year so don't have any to borrow anymore.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info