Lets talk truck ramps

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Well since I am once again the owner of a pickup and I also have an ATV it seems like I should get some ramps. I am going to assume you guys are my best bet for good info on which ones are good or bad, what to look for etc. Not only have I never had any kind of ramps like this, I have also never used any. My only "experience" was when the dealer dropped my ATV off. He had some long 2x6's with a aluminum piece that sat on the tailgate and some rubber ends at the ground. They worked just fine but I don't exactly want to be carrying around 10' boards in my tiny truck. It also seemed a little sketchy that there was nothing really holding them in place other than friction. Anyway, lets hear what the pros have to say!

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I have these and they're great. They're 94" long, but, everything I own has an 8' bed so it's never been an issue for me. I also didn't pay anywhere near $204 for them. I had shorter ones that worked fine for my old 1500's of yesteryear, but with these newer trucks sitting so high up I needed to not feel like I was going to die loading a machine.

reese-truck-bed-accessories-9516400-64_1000.jpg

Reactions: Broke EF

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Folding ones are nice, but I never found a solid pair of folding ramps that were thin enough folded to slide underneath the machine in the truck bed. That's what I usually like to do with them instead of shoving them in the sides or whatever.
Yeah I was a little worried about that. Not only (generally) more expensive, I would be worried about the folding points. My tailgate will have to be down for my ATV to fit anyway, so I guess if I could get ramps under it in the bed that wouldn't be bad. The bed is 6'2" (74") not sure how tall the tailgate is though.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If they stick out a little no harm no foul IMO. These slide under the machine nicely with the curved part facing up and towards the back obviously. They came with the little pull straps as well for you to strap them to avoid them sliding back when loading, I just take those straps and loosely connect them to the ATV's rear axle and it holds them nicely. Done many a 800 mile trip with them like that without a single issue.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I thought when I read the title and you were needing rhino like ramps as I was about to be like WTF you can't get under there? L O L

I have some generic aluminum folders but I am not putting anything heavy in the back so I don't worry about it. they are just to make it easier to get rental shit like a roto tiller or aerator in the bed by myself.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I thought when I read the title and you were needing rhino like ramps as I was about to be like WTF you can't get under there? L O L

I have some generic aluminum folders but I am not putting anything heavy in the back so I don't worry about it. they are just to make it easier to get rental shit like a roto tiller or aerator in the bed by myself.

I kind of just had that discussion with the wife. I was saying if I move the lift to the middle of the garage I wouldn't be able to put the truck on it because there is a big shelf in the front of the garage. She was like well just use the ramps you have. I said I am not THAT fat, I can fit under it without lifting it, but I have a lift and I want to use it all the time for everything!!

I have some bullshit aluminum ones that i bought at a walmart in kentucky when i realized i didn't have ramps to get my new SXS onto the utility trailer I had with me, and wasn't going to have it's first 40 feet of driving done by me, be trying to jump it onto the trailer

You 100% should have jumped it onto the trailer. But also cant a SXS just crawl up onto a trailer?

• Haha
Reactions: EmersonHart13

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have two bi-fold ramps that I use. One half has a small arch to help with clearance. They fold and store nicely under the ATV. I put a thin board between the front of the ATV and the bed to keep the winch from banging it. As long as I have the ATV in straight (within a few degrees) I can close my tailgate and it presses against the rear tires just enough to keep it from moving around.

I then use a Canyon Dancer strap on the handle bars to the tie down points in the front. If I’m going over rough terrain I’ll also do ratchet straps from rear cargo rack to rear tie down points.

When I walk out the door to go to work I’ll check the brand. I know they’re rated for 750lbs each, but are aluminum and lightweight. Been using them for a over 10 years for the ATV and all three motorcycles. It is about time to retire them though.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I kind of just had that discussion with the wife. I was saying if I move the lift to the middle of the garage I wouldn't be able to put the truck on it because there is a big shelf in the front of the garage. She was like well just use the ramps you have. I said I am not THAT fat, I can fit under it without lifting it, but I have a lift and I want to use it all the time for everything!!

You 100% should have jumped it onto the trailer. But also cant a SXS just crawl up onto a trailer?

it might be able to, mine might also be too long that it would grind pretty bad getting up there.

i always jump it off though... pull forward as far as i can then throw it in reverse and mash the gas off the back.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
These are the ones that I have. They're shown as rated at 600lbs each, which makes me question the ones I have, which I was sure were 750lbs since my cruiser is 640bs dry. I just cinch-strap them to the bumper/hitch to keep them from sliding out and drive the ATV right up them.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I use a set of Titan folding ramps. Used them for my ATV back in the day and use them for all my motorcycles. 10' long arched, makes loading by myself a breeze. They sell sets of 2 or 3 with with middle section. I have the set of 3, linked below. Been very pleased with them.

Do these only fold in half, or do they also fold lengthwise? Trying to imagine if/how it would do both. I like these, and might be a replacement for my ageing Moose ramps, but they wouldn't fit under the ATV if they just fold in half.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Do these only fold in half, or do they also fold lengthwise? Trying to imagine if/how it would do both. I like these, and might be a replacement for my ageing Moose ramps, but they wouldn't fit under the ATV if they just fold in half.

They are 3 seperate ramps. They each fold in half, 5' long. For an ATV you would only need to 2 outside ramps.

I pretty much only use the center section and one of the side sections to walk up while loading/unloading the bikes. The center section is wider then the 2 outside sections. But you can put all 3 together and basically ride up them if you want.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info