Let's Talk Tire Shopping Real Quick...

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
So I was informed a couple days ago about how to read a tire to find out when it was manufactured. I bought my current set about a year and a half ago only to learn they sat in a warehouse for about 3 years before being sent to Discount Tire.

I'm looking to purchase some new tires this week and want to know the appropriate way to ask for tires that aren't collecting dust for years before being installed? My thought process leads me to believe that if I present a request like that, it will only delay the delivery of the tires if they don't have them in stock and I don't have a lot of free time due to work schedule. But I also don't want to end up with tires that will again need replacing soon.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes, I love tire shopping...

I would be more concerned about a tire being driven on and used being old vs. one that sat in a climate controlled warehouse collecting dust that is old. Age, while important, is a little over sold IMO. Some of us here would have to put a new set of tires on the vehicle each time we drove our car in some instances just based on age. I'd focus on being more vigilant in monitoring your tires for issues if they're older.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
For my Mustang, in not too worried about getting an older set of tires. I drive the car aggressively enough that I end up replacing tires every other season. I would be more annoyed if I got an older set of tires for my daily driver, since I expect to get 3-4 years out of them.

I only got a little over a year and 22K miles out of my current set

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The tires that were on my GN were older than I care to admit, but the car sat indoors all the time while still being driven enough to not develop flat spots. There still isn't any cracking or signs of the tires falling apart. I think age is kind of relative to the environment. I know for a fact that DTC wouldn't touch my old wheels if I didn't intend to buy new tires, but it's a liability thing I guess.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
For car/truck tires the added on year or so to the age prior to mounting isn't too big of a deal. Yes, we'd all like the freshly molded stuff, but typically the contact patch size and compounds are enough to offset the age. If they were sitting outside the whole time then yeah, I'd be telling them to take them back and put on something new(er).

On motorcycle tires, especially sport/soft/race tires you want as fresh as you can possibly get. Even sitting around for a year is enough to degrade the adhesion characteristics of the rubber to the riding surface. If/when I get tires at the track they're usually from the tire manufacturer themselves. The last three sets I had swapped on were less than 90 days old at the time of purchase/mounting.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info