Lets talk range bags!

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been shooting much more recently and am hoping once the weather starts to get a little nicer out to start getting to more outdoor ranges and ranges further away from the suburbs....

That being said, I'll be spending more time at places farther from the house so I'm going to be starting to get together a range bag and was curious what you all had in yours?

I also just ordered a trauma kit for the same reason, better to have it and never need it, than to need it and not have it.

I'm sure the range bag will have the essentials like eye and ear protection, spare magazines and ammo, and some smaller tools like a multi-tool and things like that, but what are some of the other things you guys have packed away in your bags?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
Do you know how to use a trauma kit in case something happened? Some people overdo it and bring giant range bags that take up a lot of space.

I use a smaller 5.11 tactical bag that was about 50-60 bucks.

It holds 8 mags, two guns, I get both pairs of eyes/ears for when my wife and I go, I bring a small gun cleaning kit, a few band aids and gauze and an extra set of batteries for each of the ear muffs since they are electronic.

I then have a separate ammo bag for all of our caliber guns as well.

There are a multitude of options with range bags and you don't need to go crazy. 9/10 at every range, there is someone trained to perform certain medical tasks while waiting for an ambulance. It's not a bad idea to have a small kit with you to help, but, you don't need a huge kit for that either.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Do you know how to use a trauma kit in case something happened? Some people overdo it and bring giant range bags that take up a lot of space.

I use a smaller 5.11 tactical bag that was about 50-60 bucks.

It holds 8 mags, two guns, I get both pairs of eyes/ears for when my wife and I go, I bring a small gun cleaning kit, a few band aids and gauze and an extra set of batteries for each of the ear muffs since they are electronic.

I then have a separate ammo bag for all of our caliber guns as well.

There are a multitude of options with range bags and you don't need to go crazy. 9/10 at every range, there is someone trained to perform certain medical tasks while waiting for an ambulance. It's not a bad idea to have a small kit with you to help, but, you don't need a huge kit for that either.
I currently do not know how to use all the items in the trauma kit, but am going to be looking into that soon as well. It's nothing crazy like some huge kit, or anything, but figure as with most things its better to have and not need it.

I bought a medium size range bag, I didn't want to get too crazy with it by any means, so we shall see how it goes. I went with this bag to start:

I was going to be looking at electronic muffs soon as well, I have normal ones that work really well but it can be a pain in the ass hearing normal conversation with them on.... Any recommendations on brands?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
I currently do not know how to use all the items in the trauma kit, but am going to be looking into that soon as well. It's nothing crazy like some huge kit, or anything, but figure as with most things its better to have and not need it.

I bought a medium size range bag, I didn't want to get too crazy with it by any means, so we shall see how it goes. I went with this bag to start:

I was going to be looking at electronic muffs soon as well, I have normal ones that work really well but it can be a pain in the ass hearing normal conversation with them on.... Any recommendations on brands?

Good stuff.

Here is what my wife and I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G8POKMY/?tag=tcg2007-20

Went with the green as they were less expensive at the time.

They work pretty well and fit comfortably.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
My old paintball gear bag was absolutely HUGE.....

Definitely not looking to repeat that, but just want to make sure I have the essentials as I get out farther.

I'm sure Ill start keeping a list as well to add to it or see what I don't ever use....

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score

I have some Cabela's special $50 range bag. Large enough for both eyes and ears for me and the GF as well as cleaning kit, ammo, mags, etc.

They're fucking awesome. I bought a pair for the GF and I, the Peltor Sport RangeGuard.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UAM0MFG/?tag=tcg2007-20

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I have a nice bag that the wife got me years ago from Smith & Wesson. It's pretty big and can hold a lot of stuff. It has two big side zippered compartments, two snap-flap front compartments, on big zippered rear compartment and a movable partition inside.
The front zippered compartment is designed for magazines and has elastic straps to hold them.

I usually carry the following:
- Two ear muffs (a normal one and a low profile one for rifles)
- One set of silicone ear plugs (to double up, just in case)
- Two eye goggles
- Magazine loaders
- Small shooters toolkit (cleaning rods, oil, cleaning solution, brushes, patches, etc)
- Small screwdriver set
- Multitool
- Hand sanitizer
- Lead removal moist mini towels
- Cleaning rag and paper towels
- Targets
- Piece of cardboard (to hang targets on, just in case)
- Target clips
- Band-aids and bandages, just in case
- A copy of the IL firearms transportation laws with important sections highlighted (just in case I encounter an overzealous cop)

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a nice bag that the wife got me years ago from Smith & Wesson. It's pretty big and can hold a lot of stuff. It has two big side zippered compartments, two snap-flap front compartments, on big zippered rear compartment and a movable partition inside.
The front zippered compartment is designed for magazines and has elastic straps to hold them.

I usually carry the following:
- Two ear muffs (a normal one and a low profile one for rifles)
- One set of silicone ear plugs (to double up, just in case)
- Two eye goggles
- Magazine loaders
- Small shooters toolkit (cleaning rods, oil, cleaning solution, brushes, patches, etc)
- Small screwdriver set
- Multitool
- Hand sanitizer
- Lead removal moist mini towels
- Cleaning rag and paper towels
- Targets
- Piece of cardboard (to hang targets on, just in case)
- Target clips
- Band-aids and bandages, just in case
- A copy of the IL firearms transportation laws with important sections highlighted (just in case I encounter an overzealous cop)
LOVING the last item! Good call on that one just in case.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Best $100 I’ve spent. You can talk without having to lean in to one another and still kill some paper.

RAPER

Reaction score
ahhh.. range bags.. for me this is an ever evolving situation. I shoot several different diciplins and use the same bag for both. I also bring with a pretty fancy 3-gun style rifle bag that will house a majority of the weapon specific gear that I need to bring with.

My range bag is one of the larger varieties and with a huge center compartment and two side compartments that can house pistols. I use one side for keeping tools (allens, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, specialty tools that may have came with equipment i use) and the other side for pistol mag storage. The center section I keep 2 pairs of shooting glasses, 2 sets of muffs, sunblock, shotgun chokes, and then i have enough room for pistol and rifle ammo (shotgun ammo is brought in a septeate bag). This goes with me every time I shoot anything. My 3 gun rifle bag has onboard storage for me to bring mags and extra ammo. it always has chamber flags in it also.

I also use a small duffle bag specifically for keeping all my target stand items together. Stapler, markers, medium sized binder clips, range finder, spotting scope, and smaller paper or sticker targets.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Also figure I'll use my old golf laser range finder for the time being or until it finally kicks the bucket.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
i just double up. I like having soft ear plugs while also using a range set.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
The shit I was reading said as long as you get 20dB reduction, anything over that is just overkill because you may as well start putting in earplugs as well as the muffs for real loud stuff.

Besides, at $50 a pop was worth it to me and having the slimmer band on your head makes it so you can stuff a hat on top of it (or under).

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
the only advantage i see with the head sets is it increases voices and little sounds like that. Its awesome not having to scream at each other at the range

RAPER

Reaction score
all i use anymore are amplified muffs.. it makes life easier trying to hear range commands and just being able to carry on conversations. a must have and i use a simple $60 set and they work fantastic

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
Good stuff.

Here is what my wife and I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G8POKMY/?tag=tcg2007-20

Went with the green as they were less expensive at the time.

They work pretty well and fit comfortably.
I also have the Howard Leight and pretty sure it's the same model. I believe I got it on sale for $35 through Amazon. Not expensive, but definitely one of the best investments you can make when it comes to shooting. I plan on buying a second pair for anybody that I go to the range with. And it's also convenient to be able to talk and have conversations while still being able to shoot and not pop your eardrums with all the shots being fired.

As far as range bag. I currently use the free NRA one I got from signing up. I do plan on getting something a little bigger with more pockets. I carry a couple pistols, cleaning kit, a couple eyes and ears, and some tools, plus a loader for the pistol ammo. I also bring a couple cans of ammo depending on how much I plan on shooting.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
So I have a backpack problem. :rofl:

Right now I have a LAPG 3 day pack as a range bag. A LAPG operator pack in my car as a GHB, but have also used it as a range bag. 5/11 Rush 12 that I have used as a range bag and loaded up for work and or vacation. 5/11 MOAB10 that I EDC, but have also used.

Here is the 3 day bag that I mainly use for range.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html

As far as ears, I wonder if I could get away with using my Bose QC35s turned on since they are noise cancelling.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I throw all my shit in the gun bags of what I'm using for the day. Some of my rifle bags will hold more than your average range bag. The Drago Gear bag i got for my AR10 recently has like 20 different compartments. Will hold everything you need minus targets, unless you want to fold them up, which i don't do.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
The shit I was reading said as long as you get 20dB reduction, anything over that is just overkill because you may as well start putting in earplugs as well as the muffs for real loud stuff.
I agree. Some amount of noise you just can't block.
I sometimes use the earplugs and my 35 db muffs, but when shooting a .308, the concussion just slams into your skull and that's what you hear.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll start wearing my racing helmet. :hsughlol:

Don't use the Bose noise cancelling headphones. I don't think they'd work with the kind of noise at a shooting range since the noise will just go right through the plastic shell on those things. You really need the foam filled ear-protection earmuffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom