lets talk pressure washers

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I've had a 7HP craftsman with a briggs motor at 2800 PSI for somewhat less than a decade. The carb finally gummed up in the fall so cleaned up the carb but had weird issues keeping it running after. Dug into the carb again yesterday and everything was fine and still super clean. Then I noticed all the throttle mechanisms were all jacked up. I'll take the time and replace those parts but it was time for a new one after getting pissed.

Ended up going with this one after super brief research and hope it was the right decision. Home depot earned the biz after taking $50 off to match F&F's price (which is 10%), another 10% off via coupon, and free shipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJFOebB3CQU

Anyone have input on whats good on higher end residential or even slightly into the commercial realm?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I looked at the Generacs and had pretty damn decent reviews but the generacs didn't have like even have like rubber inflatable wheels?

Nope plastic wheels and tires, wasn't really an issue for me I've had them with tuber tires and ended up with flat tires I'm way to lazy to replace tubes on something like that, the generac has some chincy features but over all is pretty good, most of the problems people have are due to shipping stuffs broke right out of the box

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I owned a power washing company for 20 years.

Main differences between pressure washers, IMO, are heat, pressure and quality of components.

Heat really helps with many cleaning jobs especially those involving petroleum products. A "hot" machine is a big step up for a pressure washer owner.

Pressure is dependent on both PSI and gallons per minute. The more of each, the stronger your spray.

I used Hotsy equipment because of the quality of components (less breakdowns) but each machine listed for over $8K. Those were too much machine for a homeowner.

Hotsy does make some smaller systems but I have been out of the business for years so I'm not sure about models/prices. If you are interested, contact Great Lakes Hotsy and talk with Ron or Gary. Tell them Cliff sent you. 708-474-9660

They sell machines, new and used. Also do repairs and sell good cleaning soaps/chemicals. Family business with great people. They are just off of Torrence Ave. and 294.

Great Lakes Hotsy

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
One thing I will say, is I would stick to something with a common engine. A Briggs, Honda, etc...

Why? Just like everything else, they need maintenance and repair. SO parts availability is crucial. And they'll usually break when you're in the middle of using it (kinda like snow-plows). So access to quick/easy parts is key for me. With that said, something with a Briggs is hard to beat.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have this one:

Ryobi 3000-PSI 2.3 GPM Honda Power Control Gas Pressure Washer-RY803000 - The Home Depot

The Pump casing failed once already in less than a year and was replaced under warranty....

ASIDE from that I've liked it, plenty strong for my needs, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone given that it had a critical failure in my first 6 months of owning it, and its likely to happen again since the pump design itself isn't stellar.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I have something similar to this one. I believe it's 3500 or 4500 psi.

157308_2000x2000.jpg

It's at the yard we store our equipment, trucks, and machines. For home use....I dont have one. Been thinking of getting the Ryobi 1600 psi for $80 at Home Depot to wash my car. Haven't decided yet.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
[MENTION=112]ktraver97ss[/MENTION], how's your power washer gremlins going?

Yeah I think so, was talking to a friend about it and he had the same issue when plugging his into an extension cord rather than direct to the outlet. I have used it twice since and it was flawless, even when connected to the filter. So I think that could have been the issue combined with the cold temps that day. I realized the other times it was struggling like that and popping breakers it was also under 40 degrees.

The unit I bought was a Karcher K2000 I also have a gas powered Honda I have had for like 15 years. It runs great but is too heavy to load and unload for mobile detailing and its pretty loud. I also don't like having to be going back and forth to turn it on and off while washing a car. The electric unit from Karcher is less powerful, but just enough for detailing. Auto on/off is convenient and saves me time. I choose this one because of its larger footprint, so its not falling over, the collapsible handle so it will fit under my trucks tonneau cover, and it uses standard tips so I can use my foam cannon on it. The hose and gun are typical plastic crap and the gun doesnt allow you to close your hand enough and I get fatigued from holding it kind of quickly compared to my nice Hotsy guns. I plan on taking it, and that reel off and finding a way to connect a standard pressure hose to it.

I owned a power washing company for 20 years.

Main differences between pressure washers, IMO, are heat, pressure and quality of components.

Heat really helps with many cleaning jobs especially those involving petroleum products. A "hot" machine is a big step up for a pressure washer owner.

Pressure is dependent on both PSI and gallons per minute. The more of each, the stronger your spray.

I used Hotsy equipment because of the quality of components (less breakdowns) but each machine listed for over $8K. Those were too much machine for a homeowner.

Hotsy does make some smaller systems but I have been out of the business for years so I'm not sure about models/prices. If you are interested, contact Great Lakes Hotsy and talk with Ron or Gary. Tell them Cliff sent you. 708-474-9660

They sell machines, new and used. Also do repairs and sell good cleaning soaps/chemicals. Family business with great people. They are just off of Torrence Ave. and 294.

Great Lakes Hotsy

I had a 230v 3 phase Hotsy at the big shop, I think was like 4000 psi but I never cranked it to that. It would run 2 wands at the same time with more than enough pressure for washing cars. I had one issue with it repeatedly. The spring that was inside the pressure adjuster would rust and break. After a couple replacements I greased it up good and didnt have the problem again. It was def overkill for residential use though, it was like $5k.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Floor machines are awesome for sidewalks/driveways/warehouse floors. I had one that looked like a walk behind lawn mower. Cut the time to pw flat surfaces to 1/10th of using a hand wand.

On a related note, I laugh whenever I see some company obviously used a 0* nozzle to clean sidewalks. You can tell by the very thin lines they cut through the dirt in a circular pattern. These nozzles are made for concentrated pressure on a small point. Use a 15*, 25* or 40* for something like a sidewalk.

When you see swirl marks in a completed flat surface cleaning, it means too little pressure or not enough/no soap. The job was not completed properly if there are any swirls.

There may have been a stainless steel spring available for your needs. Stainless steel is a good idea if you keep having a part rust out. It's more expensive but lasts much longer. The lube was a good idea.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
There may have been a stainless steel spring available for your needs. Stainless steel is a good idea if you keep having a part rust out. It's more expensive but lasts much longer. The lube was a good idea.

I tried to get a stainless one, Hotsy didn't carry one and couldn't tell me the specs of the spring so I could source one. The original ones were cheap so I ordered 3 and lubed it up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info