let's talk pickup caps / shells / toppers / campers etc.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I got a LEER 100XL on my Silvy that I picked up on Craigslist for $400 and it's at least a $1400-$1600 top. Carpeted inside, rubber seals on the rails (I need to replace them), tilt out quarter windows, led brake light, interior light and a front sliding window by the cab (which I don't need since I don't have a slider on the truck). I like it but at the same time I don't like it.

Pros
TONS of room
Carpet inside is nice (bed rug matches it perfectly)
Tilt windows keep down the heat
Keeps the cab cooler due to the extra shade from the cap.
4 bolts hold on the cap and mounting points are built into the fiberglass
Plywood built into the roof for extra strength and add ons like lockers, fishing pole holders. etc
Cuts down on wind resistance better than an open bed, I got an extra 1-3 mpg's
I added a lock to the cap (and tailgate) that locks and unlocks via the keyfob remote which makes life a lot easier.

Cons
Weight
Light enough to remove by yourself (150-200lbs) but heavy and cumbersome enough to want help.
Tough to find a good storage place when it's off that's out of the way.
Gelcoat finish fades/oxidizes no matter what you do. Mine is silver and the almost full shade difference is making me want to sell it.
Visibility goes down a bit but it's not a huge deal.

From all the manufacturers I looked at LEER made the best one for me and they're really good tops and probably the best ones out there because of the huge amount of options if you're buying new. They're expensive but the quality is worth it and from all the other tops I've had experience with (which is a lot of them) LEER seems to be the best quality, style and durability. Jason Tops are a close second but seemed cheaper made. Lakeland made good tops but I think they got bought out by LEER (I could be wrong).

Best advice is to keep looking on Craigslist and maybe you'll get lucky like I did. If you don't like it you can always sell it (I'm still on the fence about selling mine).

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I have a LEER for my Silverado and a trifold tonneau. I don't leave the cap on unless we're traveling. It's carpeted with slider windows and I have a LED light. Fits great and no issues at all. I think the same people in Indiana make them all and they just slap their name on it.

My last one on my Titan was a Ranch and its identical to the LEER.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Interior shot of the carpet and slider that I've never used. It is nice that the entire window comes out for cleaning.
d8d507251a568fc60039a416e9cdcd4a.jpg

Pics don't show the color fade and honestly some people don't notice until I tell them but I can see it in most lighting conditions.
2cb4be997f3cba03ea4151840dd4f76f.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
weird bump but i for whatever dumb reason remembered this thread.

there are some things now, if i were to do it again, i'd do different for sure, and a few id do the next cap build i did.

hpOananl.jpg

things im glad i did- and stuff id wish i did differently.

1- getting a legit "contractor cap"- having the ability to put weight on it- which i planned for a roof top tent, but ditched that idea- is HUGE. i have been on the roof of my cap several times, and it's sturdy as fuck. i can also put lumber/long shit/whatever on the thule rack tracks and it's totally solid good to go.

KZqgxvVl.jpg

2. the toolbox on the driver's side is awesome for storage. i just wish i'd have done the fiberglass door then wrapped it in black vinyl- right now it's a plexiglass door (like all their windoors) with black vinyl inside of it to completely black it out and have it look uniform.

67pitd6l.jpg

3.doing the toolbox on the driver's side was key also, because anything on driver's side of the vehicle i can see in my mirror really easily- merging, whatever, look over shoulder, good to go- having a clear door on the passenger side was key because merging that direction, moving a trailer/navigating a tight spot, i can see out of it just fine.

4. i wish i did a slider on the passenger windoor- just to have some air flow in the cap when wanted.

5. the lighting options are chincy as fuck. my toolbox light falls down since i got it, and it's totally because of how they mount the lights. big ol' meh here, if i were to do it again id likely run my own led strip lighting.

6. i wish leer offered better lock setups for these door options, i used the lube they recommended since new and they still freeze up on me from time to time.

7. if a window breaks, be ready for a long fucking wait time. passenger side window shattered on me, and it legit took 4-5 weeks or so. which was mind boggling as i thought they'd be pretty standardized.

8. leer's wiring is also quite MEH, small gauge, butt connector'd in a lot of spots, not really "secure" either. none of my interior lights work currently, and i haven't cared enough/had enough free time to diagnose why exactly, past making sure there is power at the wiring block.

9. fit/finish/color match of it is fucking awesome. my truck is a difficult color to match well, and it looks like the cap was factory.

oyQjGrwh.jpg

10. as mentioned below, i wish id have done a removable back window.

i can't get to my truck back window or the outside of the rear cap window to clean them and currently they are dirty as fuck. short of me lifting my couple hundred pound cap, sliding it back on some boards, and then cleaning it and putting it back on, it'll stay dirty.

That fold down window is great. I can't stand the water marks on the window after the car wash too.

Great info here, I wouldn't have thought of the opening window being needed to clean windows

i should have done this. fold down window would have been key. i want to clean my back window so bad but legit cant get in there with the slider.

Either that or slide the top back to clean the windows.

so i have a slider rear window in the cap , not in the truck, and i can't clean more than the 12x12 slider opening on my truck back window with it open from inside my cap. which i didn't think would be the case but oh well.

QzAVrSnl.jpg

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Yaj Yak Yaj Yak go get it..

FREE

05 Fleetwood TIOGA 23E Motorhome for sale in Chicago on Facebook Marketplace

$2000 Generator just maintained and new carburetor. Tires only have 3k miles on them and also has new spare. All the upgrades in the RV come with it! Blue OX Tow w/wireless brake, brand new RV cover, rear camera, satellite, bike rack, water hoses, water filter, grey & black water pipes

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I went with a cheap Gator vinyl roll up and couldn't be happier. I originally wanted a tri-fold Undercover Flex fiberglass but not only did you have to drill drain holes in the bed for drain tubes but also the reviews said there still was water in the bed after hard rains. That compounded with the fact that to access the entire bed you'd have to completely block your back window made me steer away. So far my tonneau has been dry and works great. For sub $300 if it lasts only 2-3 years I'll just buy a new one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info