Lets talk open car haulers!

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I started using the Uhaul vehicle trailers then found R & P Trailers in Seneca and rented their steel fixed deck auto transport trailer when I needed more deck space and it was cheaper per day. When it came time I needed a trailer to haul 1 ton diesel trucks I looked for fixed and tilt bed trailers. I started at R & P which didn't really try to sell anything more on offering information they thought I needed to know since it was my first trailer. I wanted to verify so went to visit 2-3 other bigger name trailer dealers in MI who were more aggressive with sales pitch but didn't have much in what I was looking for, had higher prices but did have bigger overall inventory. Went back to R & P and bought a Sure Trac 20' tilt bed wood trailer and mounted a 12k Harbor Freight winch and worked the hell out of that trailer until I didn't have the need for it and sold it. My experience was wood deck is cheaper, lighter and not as slippery when wet. I wanted a tilt for non runners (to unload) and on my trailer the whole rear deck touched the ground when tilted so I had no issues with lawn tractors or anything else that might have issues with 2 fixed width ramps. I had steel eyelets for strapping loads but mines also had the optional rub rails which I preferred to use to secure tire straps. I thought the 7000 GVWR of trailer wasn't enough for what I needed but found out that the rating does not take into account the amount of the trailer weight that passes unto the tongue so depending on tongue weight in my case about 900 more pounds of capacity.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So now that I own a trailer, I need to get belts/tie downs. What do you guys recommend on the tie downs? My trailer doesn’t have D Rings on the deck. Strapping points are on the side rails and back rails. Also I have noticed at big rim car shows, guys only strap the 4 wheels down. I very rarely see anything on the axle and or frame. Is that okay or should I be using something on the axle and or frame as well? I see tie downs on Amazon for $100 set of 4, but then see some online for $300 for a set of 4.

What do you guys recommend for a hitch? Currently have a BS one from Uhaul. With a 6” lift on my truck I’ve read I should be looking for a 10” adjustable. Also do you think the tongue weight scale on the hitch is needed?

Also any preventative maintenance I should do?

Outlaw Outlaw and tag anyone else that regularly uses a trailer

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I use these straps for anything heavy - car or truck kinda shit.

Mac's Tie-Downs 511618 Black Pro Pack with 8' x 2" Ratchet Straps, and 24" Axle Straps and Fleece Sleeves https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PPNCNO/?tag=tcg21-20

For lighter stuff like tractor or UTV I use these:

Rhino USA Retractable Ratchet Tie Down Straps (2PK) - 3,033lb Guaranteed Max Break Strength, Includes (2) Ultimate 2" x 10' Autoretract Tie Downs with Padded Handles. (2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0942D2MG7/?tag=tcg21-20

The auto tension function is very nice to have.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
One thing to keep in mind, sometimes new straps can stretch as they break in.
I always open them all the way up and wrap them around a tree on a hot day then hit them with the hose and let them dry a few times. That seems to take care of it.
Chains are a pain but don't stretch.
I strap to axles and suspension cross members.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I use these straps for anything heavy - car or truck kinda shit.

Mac's Tie-Downs 511618 Black Pro Pack with 8' x 2" Ratchet Straps, and 24" Axle Straps and Fleece Sleeves https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PPNCNO/?tag=tcg21-20

For lighter stuff like tractor or UTV I use these:

Rhino USA Retractable Ratchet Tie Down Straps (2PK) - 3,033lb Guaranteed Max Break Strength, Includes (2) Ultimate 2" x 10' Autoretract Tie Downs with Padded Handles. (2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0942D2MG7/?tag=tcg21-20

The auto tension function is very nice to have.
I was looking at those straps, but I don’t have D Rings on my trailer. I think I need something with these types of ends. Screen shot won’t post

24EB58B5-46AA-4825-AA9E-8997DE9F9213.jpeg

Reactions: Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I was looking at those straps, but I don’t have D Rings on my trailer. I think I need something with these types of ends. Screen shot won’t post

View attachment 114894

The only thing I'd be hesitant on with wheel straps is if they vibrate or flap against a rim they'll trash the finish on it.
Or a slip when installing them and ding...fuck...
Like your Impala, my C10 has $$$$$ wheels on it and I didn't want to have anything close to them on a trailer.
Any decent trailer shop should be able to install D rings in the floor of your trailer then you'll have all sorts of options available and tbh they're a lot easier to use IMO.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
These are the best for a car with some z track on the floor, as you don't need to worry about the suspension flexing and coming unhooked.

But they don't work well on cars with a tight wheel well and little ground clearance.

I don't have d-rings on the floor of my car trailer either, so I just strap to stake pockets on the bed rails with these.

Performax™ 27' x 2" Commercial Grade Padded Ratchet Strap Tie-Down at Menards https://www.menards.com/main/p-1642874257884888.htm

On the rear of my car, I just go through the wheels with the straps. On the front, I use axle straps wrapped around the control arms, and use a ratchet strap to the trailer frame stake pockets.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Well it took a while, but I finally bought a trailer. I never got any responses from any quote requests from manufacturers or dealers. A little suprising, but oh well I guess. Anyway I kind of just let this sit for a while and focused on other projects. A possible car purchase that fell though got me back onto wanting a trailer. The one I linked in the first post was still the best deal for a new trailer. I got the green light that I wouldnt be murdered if I came home with it, so this morning I tool a long ass drve down to grab one.

20220618_105452-X2.jpg

They had around 20 of them on the lot, so I grabbed one from the newest delivery. Its a 20' (18' wood deck, 2' steel dovetail), two 3.500lb axles with brakes on both, all LED lighting, both fenders are removable. Its not super fancy, but is pretty nice for the price. I got there about 30 minutes before closing so we just hooked it up and I took off. I eneded up pulling off to grab something to eat atfer like 5ish hours of driving.

20220618_134652-X4.jpg

Not suprising, but it pulled extremely well. Brakes were very smoth as well, probably the nicest I have ever towed. It does make the truck really bouncy when empty, we will see how it is with the car soon.

So here it is all tucked away :)
20220618_161517-X4.jpg

20220618_161527-X4.jpg

I need to take off some stickers and clean it up some, but overall I am really happy!

Now to get into the fun stuff! It has two D-rings on the front welded just behind the little bumper deal. For now I am going to order THESE. I figure these will be good to have around regardless, but I plan to use them when I need to move the car this week. However I want something more permanent in the back of the trailer. If I can avoid it, I dont want to mess with the finish. I would possibly drill the metal. but I dont want to weld to it since its powdercoat. Lets hear some sugestions from the towing professionals.

Is there anything I should do to the wood like seal it or paint it or something? I am gonna buy a spare for it, I would have today but even though I asked about them the guy didnt sell me one LOL. I think he was in a hurry, didnt ask me any questions, didnt offer me any accesories (which I would have bought) just sign here here and here, you're all set! He wasnt a dick, and wasnt pushy at all, just wasnt trying to take any longer than it needed. But anyway, plans are spare, battery wired to the 7pin to charge from the truck, some lights, a cheap winch, and I think thats all. I never bought the reciever, so I am gonna order that up soon as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info