🏡 Better Homes Let's talk house heaters

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
It's starting to get cold again and I want to be better prepared this winter. I want to replace the baseboard heaters in my house with something more energy efficient. I don't have the budget to do central heating just yet but I was looking at newer energy efficient base board heaters and I see a lot of wall mounted plug in heaters and not sure the route. My energy bill last winter ranged between 200-400 per month with the old heaters.

This one stands out with a lot of reviews and seems people like it. I'm trying to figure out if running a couple of these all the time would skyrocket my energy bill. I think I would want a total of 2-4. (One in the living room, One in 2/3 bedrooms and maybe an extra somewhere if needed.)

Option 1 (living room)

Option 2 (bedrooms)

Open to other ideas also.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
What is your budget? And honestly speaking I am no expert at all...

But I would think a mini split system would be more efficient financially as well as economically vs having a bunch of 110v heaters running consistently?

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

But I would think a mini split system would be more efficient financially as well as economically vs having a bunch of 110v heaters running consistently?

It's pretty low right now. House remodel stuff & fixing up a rental is adding up. I'm okay for a little while because we're getting solar installed this month to cover most of the electric bill, but for right now 1-2K absolute max. Just looking for cheap and get me through the next 3-6 months until the spring.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I have the same issue with electric heaters. Half the house is central air/natural gas heat. The rest of the house is an old addition and all electric radiant heat. Costs me a fucking fortune. I’m going to buy a couple inexpensive non vented gas heater to help a bit but I can’t use them in the converted garage bedroom so I’ll be looking at something more efficient for heat even if it’s another electric heater.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Why spend the money to replace something for one winter if you want to upgrade it again after this year? Just seems like throwing money away for short term gains. If you are having solar put in than that will offset a lot of this extra cost also. Maybe I am just missing something here.

Even if you cut your electricity costs in half lets say 5 months x 200 = 1000 so you are spending 1k to save 500 dollars?
5 months x 400 = 2000 spending 1k to save 1k.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

Wouldn’t waste my time with mini splits unless you have a thoroughly insulated and air sealed house. Heat pumps are great if you can get the load down low enough on the house in our climate. The best stuff on the market has full capacity down to about 5* no option for backup heat on these as well. But the existing baseboards could serve that need.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Why spend the money to replace something for one winter if you want to upgrade it again after this year? Just seems like throwing money away for short term gains. If you are having solar put in than that will offset a lot of this extra cost also. Maybe I am just missing something here.

Even if you cut your electricity costs in half lets say 5 months x 200 = 1000 so you are spending 1k to save 500 dollars?
5 months x 400 = 2000 spending 1k to save 1k.
A whole house central heating system will cost me 12-17K when I got quotes last year. So for me to spend $300-400 now to save $1000 over the winter, gives me time to save up for the heat. I spent over 10K this month on new carpets, paint, well pump etc.. on this property and another rental that I don't feel like buying a central heating system right now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info