Let's Talk Crab Legs

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm going to boil or steam some crab legs Thursday night for some friends of mine and I'm wondering what you guys use for side dishes and sauces? I'm debating seasoning the legs with Old Bay before cooking or adding it after the shells are cracked?

Clarified butter is a must. How about a Hollandaise sauce to give more dipping choices?

For side dishes? Veggies? Artichokes? Twice baked potatoes? Just a salad?

I'm debating making a cheesecake parfait for dessert. Graham cracker crumbs layered with homemade cheesecake and homemade whipped cream with a strawberry or blueberry lemon topping. One of my guests is a good cook and I want to "Wow" him.

What do you guys do and how does this sound?

skeezer

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
I've had king crab so good you don't even need to dip that shit in anything. Maybe a little butter.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I will definitely have some clarified butter. I want to offer some unusual yet good tasting choices so I thought a Hollandaise which is mostly butter, egg and lemon would work well. The richness of the Hollandaise may be good with the clean taste of the crab. I'm picturing the taste combo and it works in my mind.

Same thing with artichokes. I think dipping them in the butter or Hollandaise might work, too.

The parfait idea comes from a recently failed cheesecake. I got water in my ring mold pan and it ruined my cheesecake crust. I froze the cheesecake then took off the crust and put the cheesecake into new graham cracker crumbs. It failed miserably as a cheesecake but tasted so good, I think it would be awesome as a parfait. Layer of crumbs, then cheesecake, then whipped cream. Repeat and then top with some type of tart fruit sauce to break up the sweetness.

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
Definitely steam them!!! Add salt, 3tbsp butter and Old Bay to the water. Get the water to a boil (or a touch below boiling), drop the crab on top of the steaming section of the pot, close the lid and walk away for 8-10 minutes (no peaking in the pot). Easy, tasty and a tried and true method that never fails.

Sides; Do corn of whatever style you like, your hands are already messy, might as well do corn on the cob halves and since the Old Bay is already out season it with that.
Potatoes can't miss. Do country style taters. Cut the spuds into 6-8 chunks, toss them into a big ziploc bag with virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, basil and a little oregano and shake the hell out of the bag to mix up the spices and oil until everything is coated. Put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes on a non stick cookie sheet.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
I love to grill them and sometimes boil or steam.

I love their own flavor. No butter or seasoning for me.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Steam boil and pour just a little fresh lemon and butter on mine, usually eat king or snow crab about once a month. LOVE IT!

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I do king crab in the oven steamed. Put them in a dish with a little bit of water and cover with foil. 20 minutes at 350. Clarified butter is all you need to go along with it.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Mmmmm, so good.
Asparagus makes a decent side, corn on the cob.
Gordon Ramsay approves

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I do boiled with zatarans crab boil... delicious.

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
Definitely steam them!!! Add salt, 3tbsp butter and Old Bay to the water. Get the water to a boil (or a touch below boiling), drop the crab on top of the steaming section of the pot, close the lid and walk away for 8-10 minutes (no peaking in the pot). Easy, tasty and a tried and true method that never fails.

Sides; Do corn of whatever style you like, your hands are already messy, might as well do corn on the cob halves and since the Old Bay is already out season it with that.
Potatoes can't miss. Do country style taters. Cut the spuds into 6-8 chunks, toss them into a big ziploc bag with virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, basil and a little oregano and shake the hell out of the bag to mix up the spices and oil until everything is coated. Put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes on a non stick cookie sheet.
This! Times 10! Or Greek Potatoes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom