Let's Talk Crab Legs

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm going to boil or steam some crab legs Thursday night for some friends of mine and I'm wondering what you guys use for side dishes and sauces? I'm debating seasoning the legs with Old Bay before cooking or adding it after the shells are cracked?

Clarified butter is a must. How about a Hollandaise sauce to give more dipping choices?

For side dishes? Veggies? Artichokes? Twice baked potatoes? Just a salad?

I'm debating making a cheesecake parfait for dessert. Graham cracker crumbs layered with homemade cheesecake and homemade whipped cream with a strawberry or blueberry lemon topping. One of my guests is a good cook and I want to "Wow" him.

What do you guys do and how does this sound?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I will definitely have some clarified butter. I want to offer some unusual yet good tasting choices so I thought a Hollandaise which is mostly butter, egg and lemon would work well. The richness of the Hollandaise may be good with the clean taste of the crab. I'm picturing the taste combo and it works in my mind.

Same thing with artichokes. I think dipping them in the butter or Hollandaise might work, too.

The parfait idea comes from a recently failed cheesecake. I got water in my ring mold pan and it ruined my cheesecake crust. I froze the cheesecake then took off the crust and put the cheesecake into new graham cracker crumbs. It failed miserably as a cheesecake but tasted so good, I think it would be awesome as a parfait. Layer of crumbs, then cheesecake, then whipped cream. Repeat and then top with some type of tart fruit sauce to break up the sweetness.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Definitely steam them!!! Add salt, 3tbsp butter and Old Bay to the water. Get the water to a boil (or a touch below boiling), drop the crab on top of the steaming section of the pot, close the lid and walk away for 8-10 minutes (no peaking in the pot). Easy, tasty and a tried and true method that never fails.

Sides; Do corn of whatever style you like, your hands are already messy, might as well do corn on the cob halves and since the Old Bay is already out season it with that.
Potatoes can't miss. Do country style taters. Cut the spuds into 6-8 chunks, toss them into a big ziploc bag with virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, basil and a little oregano and shake the hell out of the bag to mix up the spices and oil until everything is coated. Put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes on a non stick cookie sheet.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
bcb79ef3cdd15c4211efce3dfa5af924.jpg

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Definitely steam them!!! Add salt, 3tbsp butter and Old Bay to the water. Get the water to a boil (or a touch below boiling), drop the crab on top of the steaming section of the pot, close the lid and walk away for 8-10 minutes (no peaking in the pot). Easy, tasty and a tried and true method that never fails.

Sides; Do corn of whatever style you like, your hands are already messy, might as well do corn on the cob halves and since the Old Bay is already out season it with that.
Potatoes can't miss. Do country style taters. Cut the spuds into 6-8 chunks, toss them into a big ziploc bag with virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, basil and a little oregano and shake the hell out of the bag to mix up the spices and oil until everything is coated. Put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes on a non stick cookie sheet.

This! Times 10! Or Greek Potatoes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info