Let's talk beds

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
My father-in-law just got one last week. He said he didn't like it but jts been only a week.
I hated my sleep number bed for about a month. And I mean I HATED it, they would not let me return it. They want you to use it for a minimal of 60 days before returns and thats because your body has to adjust to it.
After I got used to it I fell in love. Been 4 years now. Its great

how much was the purple?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I hated my sleep number bed for about a month. And I mean I HATED it, they would not let me return it. They want you to use it for a minimal of 60 days before returns and thats because your body has to adjust to it.
After I got used to it I fell in love. Been 4 years now. Its great

how much was the purple?

how are you liking your sleep number now?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
how are you liking your sleep number now?
It's great. I've learned that a setting of say 35 on my side is different than 35 on her side as it depends on your weight. So as one of us has lost weight and the other has gained and kept the same sleep number there is more of a hill between our sides. Otherwise it's still great. After you get used to it it's amazing how different a setting from 35 to 40 is. Ours goes up/down in increments of 5. Prior to this EVERY bed I've bought has developed a dip and caused lots of back issues for me so I was buying a new mattress every 2-4 years. We have had this since 2014 and I still can't complain.
Ideally if you can get one that reclines I would only because my wife ends up sleeping under her pillow and starts to snore, I think if she was inclined a bit then she wouldn't snore.
The box spring I really like. Its all plastic, lightweight and no worries about it breaking like a traditional one.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So we wound up buying one, it got delivered about a month ago. We got a P6 360 Smart Bed... my wife would sleep on a cloud if she could, while i'd prefer a sheet of OSB... so being able to adjust her side to cloud and mine to hard, was huge for us. her side is a 30 i think and im either a 65 or a 70. lately a 65 i think. the bed took some getting used to- the first night we hated it to be honest, but now we both absolutely love it.

the "smart" aspect, to me, is just annoying bullshit. some people may like it though.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So I was going to create a mattress/bed thread a couple of weeks ago and forgot.
Our King mattress isnt that old and we FUCKING HATE IT. I think part of the issue is we no longer have a box spring. We originally did and like 2 years ago we bought a new bedroom set. The bed frame (platform frame) we have doesnt allow for the use of a box spring. My Wife wanted one of those bed frames with storage drawers.

So those of you with platform frames or no box spring. What mattresses are you using?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So I was going to create a mattress/bed thread a couple of weeks ago and forgot.
Our King mattress isnt that old and we FUCKING HATE IT. I think part of the issue is we no longer have a box spring. We originally did and like 2 years ago we bought a new bedroom set. The bed frame (platform frame) we have doesnt allow for the use of a box spring. My Wife wanted one of those bed frames with storage drawers.

So those of you with platform frames or no box spring. What mattresses are you using?

fwiw we don't have a box spring either. the sleep number bed doesn't "need" one.

i loved our old mattress it was a stearns and foster that was heavy as fuck that is now on guest bedroom duty. but it was too firm for wife.

one thing that was unclear about the sleep number bed to me without knowing everything was that it is really just a glorified fancy airbed.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
fwiw we don't have a box spring either. the sleep number bed doesn't "need" one.

i loved our old mattress it was a stearns and foster that was heavy as fuck that is now on guest bedroom duty. but it was too firm for wife.

one thing that was unclear about the sleep number bed to me without knowing everything was that it is really just a glorified fancy airbed.
I have thought about splurging on a sleep number. But my Wife has 2 customers (they dont know each other) who are both in the mattress biz.
Both have worked for sleep number and if I'm not mistaking, one of them still does. Both have said they are a total waste of money and they would never own one. Not knocking you guys that have them, so dont take it that way. I also know a handful of people who do own them. They either love them or completely hate them lol.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
We ended up with a king hybrid spring/memory foam bed and love the thing. It is in the middle of soft/firm and is a nice unit. I think it was around 1800, so not a bank statement killer. I am pretty lucky that the wife and I like a similar bed.

On a side note, we have two old queen beds that are our guest beds. They are definitely past their prime, but found a 4” memory foam topper for them on discount one day. It made those beds comfortable as shit.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
How timely. In the market for a king mattress right now too. Just going to lay on some shit at a store, point at it, ask for $150 off and delivery and be done with it

you know who actually has pretty solid pricing on decent mattresses? fucking menards.

ive heard it's because their distribution network is so solid they can move large items easily and efficiently so it keeps the cost down.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
you know who actually has pretty solid pricing on decent mattresses? fucking menards.

ive heard it's because their distribution network is so solid they can move large items easily and efficiently so it keeps the cost down.
Well damn. I’ll have to tell GF. That’s her favorite store

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
How timely. In the market for a king mattress right now too. Just going to lay on some shit at a store, point at it, ask for $150 off and delivery and be done with it

Don't stop at $150. Plenty more markup than that on brick and mortar mattresses if you're buying a $1k or so mattress.

We found a brand/model we like and have been slowly replacing mattresses in the house and at the in-law's lakehouse with the same brand, buying online during mattress holidays that seem to offer genuinely good deals. Mattress Firm in particular. We bought a similar mattress to our bedroom for our daughter's "big girl bed" and what a back-saver because we're in there quite often :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
speaking of off gas, i bought an amazon foam mattress back in the day that i really liked. let it chill for like 4-5 days before we slept on it cuz it WREAKED.

when it came i was dating a broad who slept face down typically.

fuck i thought i had knocked her up for sure and she was having morning sickness.

turned out she was just sleeping face down in it huffffing fuckin' fumes all night and getting sick as fuck.

air'ing those things out is no joke.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
we replaced our Tempurpedic cloud with a Nectar king last year. It just as comfortable, but does not trap as much heat. It came delivered, we gave it 24 hours to expand and off gas. Only complaint is it seems to lack support around the perimeter and corners.

The newer tempur models are supposed to be cooler, that is our only desire to upgrade but we likely won't. Good Info

Reactions: radioguy6
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info