Let's talk all terrain tires

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
I read a ton of reviews and ended up buying a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3 for my old truck. Only had them for about 18 months before I sold that truck but they were terrific.

I'm thinking of picking up a set for my Ram. I don't really like the look of the stock 22's and 285/45R22's. (which are basically 32's) I'd prefer more sidewall in an all-terrain tread pattern. I believe 33's just fit without changing anything, so I might look for 20" wheels and maybe 285/55R20 which is a 32.5 or 305/50R20 which would be a 33 and be nice and meaty.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I read a ton of reviews and ended up buying a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3 for my old truck. Only had them for about 18 months before I sold that truck but they were terrific.

I'm thinking of picking up a set for my Ram. I don't really like the look of the stock 22's and 285/45R22's. (which are basically 32's) I'd prefer more sidewall in an all-terrain tread pattern. I believe 33's just fit without changing anything, so I might look for 20" wheels and maybe 285/55R20 which is a 32.5 or 305/50R20 which would be a 33 and be nice and meaty.

My stock size is a p rated true 33" tire. Might be worth looking at.

Light weight. Low cost. 20" whwel Bigger tire.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
cost isn't really an issue, I actually really liked the aforementioned revo 3s, they are available in a LT 305/50R20 and LT 285/55R20.

Why get an LT tire tho? My truck on its stock tires is nearly 18k gcwr. Why not save 20-40lbs per corner and get better mpg, be quicker and wear slower.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

Phalabala Phalabala be like

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
Why get an LT tire tho? My truck on its stock tires is nearly 18k gcwr. Why not save 20-40lbs per corner and get better mpg, be quicker and wear slower.

I'm not married to an LT rated tire obviously! I just want a good tire that would have a similar load rating to the stock tire.

No matter what I end up with if I move down to a 20" wheel it will be lighter than stock. 5th gen ram limited black editions actually have upgraded front knuckles to coat with the weight of the stock boat anchors. :)

Reactions: Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

I had the Revo 2's on my truck and when they were brand new they were decent. But once they had only a few thousand miles on them, like between 5k and 10k they were worthless. They'd spin up in the rain like I was on ice, understeer like a bastard, and couldn't get them to bite in the snow.

It looks like they added more and deeper siping to help with cold/snow grip. The Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar that are on the truck now have done a great job all the way through their life. When this set wears out the exact same will be going back on, unless they have a new/improved version.

Edit, forgot to include that the truck is wearing its second set of those Goodyears.

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
I had the Revo 2's on my truck and when they were brand new they were decent. But once they had only a few thousand miles on them, like between 5k and 10k they were worthless. They'd spin up in the rain like I was on ice, understeer like a bastard, and couldn't get them to bite in the snow.

It looks like they added more and deeper siping to help with cold/snow grip. The Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar that are on the truck now have done a great job all the way through their life. When this set wears out the exact same will be going back on, unless they have a new/improved version.

Edit, forgot to include that the truck is wearing its second set of those Goodyears.

nice, I guess that is something to keep in mind. That being said, my old truck had 32k on it after 9 years so.... i don't need to drive much.

• Wow
Reactions: Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Wow, you could push your truck further than that in the same amount of time, lol.

My first set of the Goodyears had a lot of highway miles on them, about 60k before I replaced them. This second set is more balanced since I have a car for doing long road trips now. Further back in the thread I measured and averaged the remaining tread depth and their current mileage. They're pricey, but so far so good.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Anything new to report? I'm trying to decide between the General Grabber A/TX, FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W , and Toyo Open Country A/T III but in all reality it might just come down to what is in stock haha

I was planning to replace the stock tires with the Toyo AT III ( I had the AT II on my 2 trucks and they were awesome ) but they have not been in stock.
The Grabbers get really good reviews.
The falkens look decent but my brother had a set about 10 years ago and they did not last very long.
Their longevity could have changed by now.

I've had Nitto Ridge Grapplers for a year and a half and am a big fan.

Rain and snow too ?
They do not have much siping so I didn't know how good they would be in the rain.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Anything new to report? I'm trying to decide between the General Grabber A/TX, FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W , and Toyo Open Country A/T III but in all reality it might just come down to what is in stock haha
I'm still rocking my second set of Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar's (265/65-18) on my GMT900. They've got about 30,000 miles on them and still averaging 0.22" depth across the tread (factory is 14/32 - 0.4375"). They've taken a beating (I-65) and have been great. Good communication and very little road noise.

I'll quite likely go with these again if there is enough of a truck left to put them under. Though I might drop down to the Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse AT to save some $$$.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I was planning to replace the stock tires with the Toyo AT III ( I had the AT II on my 2 trucks and they were awesome ) but they have not been in stock.

I had ATII's on my Duramax on the old wheels/tires, they were good but not great, tread wear was a little fast for my liking - 1/2 worn in about 15k.
But, I went ahead and put ATIII's on the new wheels and I'm fairly happy with them. Ride good, quieter than the II's. I only have about 500 miles on them so can't really comment on wear yet.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
From a tire guy point of view Id say go for the Toyo at3s if you can get em. Then the generals then the Falkens or maybe a Cooper at3. I'm actually fairly pleased with the cheap venom power xts I've put on my half ton (they look like if a bfg ko2 and a ridge grappler got together). Got 13k on em and alot of that is pulling a trailer and they've barely even worn other than they need rotated due to feathering the edges on the front ones. Little noisy but if that doesn't bother you they also do fairly well down my sandy gravel road when it's a mess and imo they're pretty hard to beat for the price.

Reactions: Eagle

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
ATX’s are solid, but I’m a K02 snob. Just like the way they drive and lack of road noise with them. So far I’ve had nothing but good things to say about them.

I'll be putting K02's on wifey's 4runner when I lift it and maybe on the Scout once it gets to that point.

Thread Info