Let's talk all terrain tires

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Hmmm, I'm actually surprisingly happy by the treadlife on my K02's, maybe rotating every 6k makes a difference?

I had Discount rotating per their schedule. Easily burned down 50% tread life in 10k miles. It was disgusting. But again, medium duty (F350) vs light duty trucks.

They had great traction... just didn't like how they lasted on my truck. The Nittos were much better.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I had Discount rotating per their schedule. Easily burned down 50% tread life in 10k miles. It was disgusting. But again, medium duty (F350) vs light duty trucks.

They had great traction... just didn't like how they lasted on my truck. The Nittos were much better.
I'm knocking on 6k lbs but don't drive enough to notice anything.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
annnnd leaning back towards 295/70-18

cuz this looks fucking awesome.

007-1_zpsb97017c9.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Bump.

I need to get a new set of tires before the winter starts here...so by the beginning of November. I figured I would just go with an A/T tire. I am going with a stockish size at 275-60r20 as I don't want any lift or level. Strongly considering the KO2's. I hate deciding on tires, so someone needs to sway me one way.

I live in the mountains and have a steep ass curvy paved road to get to my house. Winters are mild in temperatures here, but get into the 10's at times and 30's in town where I work. We do get periods of deep powdery snow over a foot up to a few feet. I do tow a trailer with the Maverick on it and also a light fishing boat. I drive on the highway 25 min each way to and from work. About 10 minutes of that is in the mountains. I go skiing, fishing, and desert driving along with road trips. What are my best options?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I loved the KO2s on my Jeep and they weren't that bad on the Raptor. Seems to be no middle ground with them. Either love them or hate them.

I'd just do DuraTracs since they're severe weather rated and call it a day. #duratracs4life

Don't those have poor tread life and loud as hell? I don't know much about those.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I have ko2’s on both trucks and they’ve been great. Can’t speak to mileage as I don’t really drive much. I had general at2’s previously on the blazer and again were great in snow/ice.

To be honest anything severe snow rated is going to be decent. I had kuhmo at51’s on my 2wd Silverado and again were great. They don’t salt here, just some sand every once in a while so plenty of ice. Never got stuck or had any problems on hills.

A friend got 60k out of his duratacs. They were good for like 40k and after that became loud and not the grippiest on ice/snow. They were on a jeep so fairly light. He went to ko2’s this time around.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Don't those have poor tread life and loud as hell? I don't know much about those.

They have poor tread life on heavy vehicles. They're about as "loud" as the KO2s I had on my first Raptor before putting those beadlocks and duratracs on. I think they were actually quieter than the KO2s, honestly.

Thread Info