Let's talk all terrain tires

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Weird indeed. When I see very blocky tread like that with minial siping, I steer clear because of my Wrangler excursion.

baja_mtz.jpg

The Baja MTZs that were on the Wrangler. Those have similar center siping and I can tell you those tires were straight garbage in the rain. I didn't even want to tempt snow.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
a review on nittto's site of the ridge grapplers;

Sort By:

WRITE A REVIEW FIND A DEALER

Ravin' Ridge Runnner Review
by JEOnNC

Vehicle Information: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (P255/75R17)
Miles Driven:
Driving Style: Normal

Modifications: Hitch, Lift Kit

Overall Impressions
Replaced 35x12.50x20 Trail Grapplers with 37x12.50x20 Ridge grapplers on 2015 Wtangler JK. If you want the MOST AGGRESIVE looking AT/Hybrid tire with the QUITEST road manners then this is the tire for you! Jeep looks awesome with these tires! Thinking Nitto hit it outta the park with this one!

Vehicle Information: 2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT (20 Inch Option)
Miles Driven:

Modifications: Cold Air Intake, Lift Kit, Exhaust

Overall Impressions
Great looking tire. Smooth, comfortable ride. Quiet. Great traction with good clean out capability. Reasonably priced too!

Vehicle Information: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Base 17"
Miles Driven:
Driving Style: Spirited

Modifications: Hitch, Leveling, Cold Air Intake, Lift Kit, Exhaust

Overall Impressions
I bought these for my FJ Cruiser, for all year driving either highway in the city or out in the dirt/snow up in the mountains. The tires look great on the car, have very deep aggressive tread blocks. There are 2 channels that look like they're made to channel water but these have probably 2x the tread depth of my previous all terrain tires. These tires aren't any louder then my previous less agreesive tires. So for now i'm rating them a 5 as dry handling and comfort is awesome.

Vehicle Information: 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Miles Driven:

Modifications: Hitch

Overall Impressions
I went with the 265/70R17 (31.65x10.71) variety on factory Toyota wheels (17x7.5 with 30mm offset / 5.43 backspacing). The Ridge Grapplers were slightly wider and a little over an inch larger in diameter over stock tires, but I had ZERO clearance issues. No frame/body mount rubbing when fully turned in either direction, adequate clearance of suspension, braking and steering equipment and no lift, wheel spacers or modification were necessary. I also found that the added tire size also made my speedometer readings MORE accurate since before I had the tires installed my speedometer would read faster than my actual speed - the new tires actually put my speed readings spot on so I have no worries regarding inaccuracies typically caused by larger tires (this is specifically for my case with a 2016 Tacoma and this particular tire/size - not all makes, models and tires will have similar results). The tread design is perhaps the most aggressive looking A/T tire on the market. Nitto's goal was to produce an all terrain tire with excellent road mannerisms while incorporating designs and capabilities of a mud terrain tire for the daily driver than tends to find him/herself wondering off road from time to time. Personally, I think Nitto nailed it with this design! I couldn't believe how incredibly quiet these tires are on the road! I figured that I would have some sort of hmmmm or vibration given their design, but I didn't notice any difference over the road noise of the stock tires. They are slightly more stiff riding than stock tires, but I expected such. They grip the road very well wet and dry, they don't cake up in the mud and they are INCREDIBLE in the sand! I recently took a trip down to the Outer Banks, North Carolina and we stayed in the North Swan Beach 4x4 Community. To get to our rental home, it took a 7 mile drive down the beach. Sometimes the sand was wet and packed, sometimes it was very dry and loose and sometimes it was somewhere in between. It didn't matter - the Ridge Grapplers grabbed the sand and plowed through. I never even needed to air down - I was running the 45 psi that I typically run on the road while other trucks (including locals) were airing down to 20 psi and some still getting stuck! The tires would even bite the sand well enough to pull the truck up and out of deep ruts left by other trucks. The Nittos on my truck outperformed my friend's Jeep with KO2's and my other friend's F150 with Wrangler A/T's - both of which got stuck a couple of times in the sand on vacation. Being load range E, they didn't mind the truck being loaded down with about 700 lbs of cargo, two adults, two kids and a dog - even in the sand! My truck is a daily driver but I hit the beach nearly every weekend during the summer so I need tires that perform well in both scenarios - Nitto nailed it with the Ridge Grapplers! I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with this tire!

Vehicle Information: 1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 16"
Miles Driven:

Modifications: Hitch, Leveling, Cold Air Intake, Lift Kit, Coilovers, Turbo/Supercharger

Overall Impressions
So I've had a lot of off-road vehicles and tire choices for those of us with lighter setups but still lifted etc. are getting tough. Traditional 285's in anything outside of a 15" rim are getting near impossible to find in anything less than load range E's or maybe a handful of D's. Even for decent four wheeling, a D or an E is just a lot of excess weight and a harsher ride. I'm sure manufacturers are doing this to cover everything from full size trucks down but those of us with lighter rigs pay the price in performance, fuel, ride quality, etc. So, I was really excited to find these in a tall enough tire for my 4" lift but skinny enough for an overlander (4Runner etc.) and light enough in a load range C as well in a 285/75/R17. This did force me into 17's but I was okay as I was replacing rims anyway. PLEASE KEEP MAKING THIS SIZE in a C in 17's and maybe consider making 285/75r16 in a C in this tire as well! This is an excellent "overland" type tire with a great balance between an AT and an MT and still light and quiet on the highway. Great work Maxxis! Meeting the needs for a lot of us. Try finding a 285 in a C in another manufacturer. Maxxis is the only one that gets it and this tire also strikes a really neat balance as previously stated that I really didn't find in anything else available and I did my homework.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Weird indeed. When I see very blocky tread like that with minial siping, I steer clear because of my Wrangler excursion.

The Baja MTZs that were on the Wrangler. Those have similar center siping and I can tell you those tires were straight garbage in the rain. I didn't even want to tempt snow.

ridgegrappler_category_2.png

baja_mtz.jpg

now looking there, the mickey thompsons to me have many more voids in them, causing their poor wet performance id think... the nittos are quite solid and not very mud terrainish

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
And, I really don't have much experience with them yet, but, I've got Hancook Dynapro A/T's on this Z71 Tahoe I just got, done two trips to Hayward with them so far and I like them. They're fairly new, quiet, good in the rain etc. It's apples to oranges though considering LT tires and E-rated.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I had good luck with General grabber AT2s, they were quiet, aggressive looking and damn good in the snow/rain, oh and they are E-rated
I loved my generals. Worked awesome in snow and ice and somehow never pictured them on rocks offroad. Can't speak to quietness as my cucv is loud as fuck.

I'll most likely get these for the Silverado when it needs tires again.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I would do AT3's...that's probably what I will get when I need tires again.

I did have Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my 04 F150. Those were great tires...good on wet streets, and ice. Not that great in deep snow or wet mud though, but I haven't ever been impressed with AT's in that aspect.

I have Fierce Attitude MT's on my silverado...decent on ice, and good in mud and snow. Looks like they will last 70k+ miles easy, and were pretty quiet when I first put them on. I had an alignment problem though, and a couple of the tires wore badly, so they are somewhat loud now. I wanted duratrac's instead, but they were unavailable at that time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info