Let's Talk About Gas Gauges

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yes, gas gauges. Hey, forums are a dying medium and I'm just doing my part to keep this shit on life support.

Anywho... I suddenly find myself in possession of two vehicles propelled by liquid fuel: An Audi Q5 and a Maserati Ghibli SQ4. Both are similarly efficient with the Ghibli getting 15 miles of range per gallon city and 25 highway and the Q5 getting 18 and 26 respectively. Both also have similarly sized gas tanks and can travel about the same distance on the highway but they measure fuel very differently and it's driving me mad.

The Q5 acts like every gasoline car I've ever owned. You fill it it up and the gas gauge goes a bit over the full mark and just sits there for like the first 50 miles before it starts to move down. This is not at all accurate but it makes you feel good. "Hey, I've driven 30 miles and still have a full tank!" The Ghibli, on the other hand, has a digital fuel gauge and that fuel gauge starts dropping after maybe 10 miles. And I fucking hate it.

And here's the thing, it's technically more accurate but years of driving gasoline cars has conditioned me to enjoy that period of time where the fuel gauge is reading full even though I know full fucking well that it's not.

Am I the only one? Would this bother anyone else?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've learned to rely more on the "distance remaining to empty" readout than the actual needle on the car. I get why having the two gauges acting differently is annoying, though.

The Coopers gauge is that weird little "Bar Icon" thingy next to the speedo... I ignore it until it yells at me when it gets to its last bar, it turns red, and starts to nag on the dashboard. 300-350 city range, 400 highway range, claims 23-24 with normal habits.

The Burb I also ignore until it yells at me. When it finally stops telling me range to empty (Anything below 20 miles I think?) I finally fill it.

Mustang, I happily ignore until the entire display of the fuel gauge turns red (which is the cars "Low fuel" warning basically).

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
After taking a couple 330+ mile trips in my 235i, the most unsettling thing it does, is that once it gets around 1/4 tank left, the needle just STOPS. For many many miles. As does the distance to empty estimation. You're just driving along looking at it going.....is it broke? Am I about to run out of gas? Then you say screw it I'm just gonna keep driving! And eventually it does start to move again. But its like from Full to 1/2 tank, its normal. From 1/2 tank to 1/4 it just drops like a rock, and then from 1/4 to empty it's like it goes into fuel reserve mode.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
It is something that I initially found maddening, but I have grown use to it. I find the gauge in my F150 way more accurate but I don’t monitor it like I do in the Mustang. I credit that to the gas tank being almost twice the size, getting 8-9 more MPG’s, and not paying for gas in the truck.

On the other hand in the Mustang I monitor the fuel level way more closely. I think I’m getting great gas mileage the first half of the tank because the needle takes a while to move when full. Then the backhalf of the tank I feel like I get 50-60 miles out of it lmao. I’m hoping when I install my new fuel gauge and sender it becomes more accurate.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
My TransAm's fuel gauge is stuck at Full. I feel awesome every where I drive it.

Right up until the Tripometer starts to read 150 miles. Because after that, who knows how much fuel is left, its like Russian Roulette with fuel.

In the Focus I rarely look at the gauge itself. I've become reliant on the Range to Empty indicator. Which is usually way more accurate than the gauge.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
This works great for rental cars. I get in, drive to my meeting, drive back and often it hasn't move off F. (Off course, sometimes I get cars that the previous renter did this to me.)

With new cars, there's a computer between the sending unit and the gauge, so it can read anyway the programmer likes. I wish they would give you the option of picking "accurate" or "classic". My ½ tank reading is more like ¼ tank left.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
My TransAm's fuel gauge is stuck at Full. I feel awesome every where I drive it.

Right up until the Tripometer starts to read 150 miles. Because after that, who knows how much fuel is left, its like Russian Roulette with fuel.

In the Focus I rarely look at the gauge itself. I've become reliant on the Range to Empty indicator. Which is usually way more accurate than the gauge.

My z28 is the same. Gas gauge is stuck at full. Once in awhile it will just move around on its own. I just fill it at 150miles as well. When the gauge does work on any vehicle I drive a always fill up at 1/4 tank.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I honestly don't mind any of the fuel gauges in the cars nowadays. I don't know why but I am still used to old piece of shit cars even though it's been 10+ years from having one with the below examples.

A. Fuel gauges that didn't work at all for various reasons.

B. Gas gauge that moves as fast as the speedo (8mpg or lower)

C. Gauges that just randomly bounced around whenever it reached a certain threshold making it as useless as example A.

So I have always used the odometer to figure out how much gas I have, which is hilarious since math is my nemesis but for some reason I can look at the odometer and figure out how many miles I have to E. I'm spoiled rotten with newer cars with the range feature! No more Mafh!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If it always reads full, it's not grounded. Often the ground wire breaks from corrosion (outside the tank).

I've already traced and tested the wires right up to where it hits the tank. They are all fine.

Hence either sending unit, or the arm is stuck. Either way from there requires me to drop the tank to investigate.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It's funny, this must be a Chrysler product (or by-product) issue. All of my other vehicles give you that nice "full" buffer that you speak of, but, my dodge truck gauge starts dropping almost immediately. Like, within 20 miles it's below full.

It is aggravating, I've just never seen anyone else put it in words lol.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Gauges? We don't need no stinkin' gauges. (insert bandito tossing gas gauge smiley)

When I was a kid, gas gauges often did not work and let's not even talk about accuracy. You filled the car up, looked at the mileage and estimated when you would need your next fill. I seem to remember running out of gas more often back then.

You guys are spoiled by your fancy-schmancy "gas gauges".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info