Let's take a Cruise out to Kankakee River State Park! Sunday April 10th @ 2:30pm!

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
Teege24 Teege24 do you know what route you will be taking? 113 along the Kankakee river? I will probably jump in down by coal city or braidwood I’ll have to get Mook Mook to message me when you guys are close
I have not decided on an official route yet but I was planning on taking 90 to 53/290 to 355 to Hwy 6 and from there various backroads that include Cedar Rd/Hwy 4, Hwy 52, Hwy 43 to Wilmington Rd / Hwy 25 to Tulley Rd / Hwy 79 to Hwy 102

Some of those roads listed are county Highways.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I have not decided on an official route yet but I was planning on taking 90 to 53/290 to 355 to Hwy 6 and from there various backroads that include Cedar Rd/Hwy 4, Hwy 52, Hwy 43 to Wilmington Rd / Hwy 25 to Tulley Rd / Hwy 79 to Hwy 102

Some of those roads listed are county Highways.
Yeah I forgot 102 runs the river on the opposite side, I live like 18 miles from the park near 113 so I’ll just be jumping in down here most likely

Reactions: Teege24

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
Yeah I forgot 102 runs the river on the opposite side, I live like 18 miles from the park near 113 so I’ll just be jumping in down here most likely
Sounds good! Have you been here before? I hear there is parking on both sides of the river, trying to figure out which would be the better one to go too.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Sounds good! Have you been here before? I hear there is parking on both sides of the river, trying to figure out which would be the better one to go too.
North side. The south side just has little access roads to get to hunting areas. All the "park" stuff is on the north side of the river.

• Love

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
North side. The south side just has little access road to get to hunting areas. All the "park" stuff is on the north side of the river.
Thank you!

Waze automatically directs you to the South side area so I was curious if I was missing something about the North Side lot.

I'll have to remember to use Google Maps for this trip!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, I've run through there quite a few times. Other than some mild curves on 113 there isn't much there to see.

Usually we'd leave Lockport taking Briggs and crossing over I-80 (lots of stop/go) and take that to 52. Then take 52 down to Bourbonnais and get a late breakfast or early lunch in town. Then come back up 120, or go get lost in the country. Keep in mind that's on a couple of cruisers (motorcycles), and we try to avoid traffic/towns as much as possible. Just have to watch coming through Manhattan, it's a slow speed limit and the cops like to watch.

The run back 102 up to Wilmington is fine until you get a few minutes from town. Then you get dropped speed limits and moronic drivers.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
1quick 1quick

If you are a lock to join us, I may alter the route to take 55 to I believe its the Coal City Rd Exit (Pick you up) and then we take 113 over.
As an aside, take 55 to Lorenzo Rd (exit before 113, Coal City Rd). Make a right and go west about 3 miles to Will Rd, make another right. I present you with a 1/4 mile echo chamber. I'm sure the locals love the sound of loud cars, but eh... The road itself dead-ends at the Des Plaines river, but you can go east and catch River Rd, which eventually dumps you into Wilmington.

1648485681909.png

1648485767109.png

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
As an aside, take 55 to Lorenzo Rd (exit before 113, Coal City Rd). Make a right and go west about 3 miles to Will Rd, make another right. I present you with a 1/4 mile echo chamber. I'm sure the locals love the sound of loud cars, but eh... The road itself dead-ends at the Des Plaines river, but you can go east and catch River Rd, which eventually dumps you into Wilmington.

View attachment 115505
View attachment 115506
Now that looks pretty cool!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Now that looks pretty cool!
I've run through there many times, usually coming from the other direction. At Mill Rd, if you were to go south from Lorenzo there is a small preserve people can park and gather at. Gravel lot and not very large, but it is a place. Or, if you continue further west down Lorenzo and take it to Dresden Rd, go north and it'll dead-end at the Heideke park. Gravel parking with latrines. Can't really do much there unless you're planning on fishing, but it's something to see.

However both places take focus off of the original idea, and also take you further away from it. But figured if anyone was going to be in that area and didn't know about them, it's something to do.

My last trip that direction I took 55 to Coal City Rd, then dropped down 113 (to Division), then got on 53 and took Route 66 all the way down to Bloomington, then rode back up 55 to get home.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
1quick 1quick

If you are a lock to join us, I may alter the route to take 55 to I believe its the Coal City Rd Exit (Pick you up) and then we take 113 over.
Unless for some reason I get called out to work I’m in, if you want to hit that covered bridge I can get you a more direct route and it goes through another preserve, I could meet up with you guys out there, there’s another nice restaurant in that area also fairly expensive/fancy though on the river

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Unless for some reason I get called out to work I’m in, if you want to hit that covered bridge I can get you a more direct route and it goes through another preserve, I could meet up with you guys out there, there’s another nice restaurant in that area also fairly expensive/fancy though on the river
Since you know the area, we'd usually start in Plainfield and run Ridge Rd down to Hansel Rd (west), which turns in Cemetery Rd, then take that over to 47 (Morris), then cross the river and come back Pine Bluff Rd. Was an easy loop for those that wanted to short ride. If people needed to get back they'd tank up at 55 and go north, or we'd go back through the tunnel to Blodgett Rd, and to then River into Wilmington. Then go down 102 or through town to catch River into 113.

For the uninitiated the tunnel was fun and they'd like to stop at the Gemini Giant for some photos.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I take that back, I thought there was a place to stop there. I'm not seeing it on the map, so have to figure out what I am thinking of.
The preserve is off river road one road north of Lorenzo, there’s some spots to park out there at the trap ranges and if the boat ramp is open a lot of parking there, you can jog through the preserve to bloget road and take that to the covered bridge, are you taking the bike?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The preserve is off river road one road north of Lorenzo, there’s some spots to park out there at the trap ranges and if the boat ramp is open a lot of parking there, you can jog through the preserve to bloget road and take that to the covered bridge, are you taking the bike?
Depending on the weather I might convert the track bike to street use, would take a few hours. No way I'd be able to keep up on the cruiser.

Would also intercept the pack (car or bike) as they came down 355 instead of going all the way up West Dundee just to come back the same way.

Reactions: Teege24 and 1quick

Thread Info