TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
How sure are we about that $80 change?

$22.68

$15.96

Plus it needs another quart of oil, and if we divide another 5 quart jug among 5 oil changes that adds $4.54. Grand total of $43.18 which is only $3.05 more than I spent on my last oil change.
GM oil is ten bucks a quart. Full synthetic. Dexos2

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Well of course the dealer will put in GM oil, but the manual calls for Dexos2 5W30. That Pennzoil Euro L is Dexos2 certified, and is readily available, and cheap :) BTW I came to that particular oil by gmdexos.com which list all of the certified options. I happen to like Pennzoil so I went down the list till I found that one. It also seems to be a popular choice on the forums since its cheap and easy to get but still meets all the specs for those worried about warranty.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Broke EF

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Since we have already talked about it a bit in here, and this thread has everyone in it, lets talk tunes and deletes. So from what I have been able to gather, a catch can seems to be a big help on these. Stops a lot of oil and shit going into the intake track. Not exactly related, but I am going to do that regardless. I will also probably change the intake at the same time since I am sure mine is already dirty as fuck, and it looks like aftermarket gives a good improvement.

What I am more curious about is comparing the following:

Tune only (read below) with say filter back exhaust, intake, IC piping, and catch can
VS
Tune, EGR delete, DPF delete, Turbo back exhaust, intake, IC piping and catch can

I know deleting the DEF or DPF system will improve mileage since I wont need to use any fuel for regen and I would guess it can breathe easier. The EGR system seems to really gum up the motor which is why I am concerned with getting rid of it. It looks like even the non delete tunes from some places will lock the EGR closed, so would I need to do a delete as well or does that basically act like a delete? There is also DuramaxTuner (in Woodstock) that does a full tune but I assume leaves the EGR system as stock to be compliant.

As someone who has never had a diesel, and knows very little about them in terms of tuning and emissions, lets get me learnt! I am really mostly concerned with reliability since I drive so much. More power and better response will be great but any of the options should gain me that. Mileage improvements are also good, but again any of the options help there, just some more than others. I just keep reading about how the EGR and DEF systems clog up and need a ton of maintenance, and hurt overall performance over time etc. That is making me want to delete them, but I also DO like how its pretty damn quiet right now, and it isnt smokey.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I’ll be interested to see which way you end up going and the results.
I think I’d start with just the tune. The biggest problem with the egr/def systems is when people just idle around and don’t work the motors. You need to beat the shit out of them a little the keep everything from gumming up.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Yeah tunes can just put EGR duty cycle to 0 and that's essentially the same as deleting it functionally. If you don't want to take the time to get it off the truck (it's a bit of a PITA), then that'll work. Also just in case you'd need to put it back on for whatever reason, it would save you the hassle at that point in time too.

If you like how it's quiet now and plan on deleting stuff, you might want to look into resonators or mufflers or whatever, because I'm pretty sure the only sound deadening in the exhaust is done by the emissions equipment.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I’ll be interested to see which way you end up going and the results.
I think I’d start with just the tune. The biggest problem with the egr/def systems is when people just idle around and don’t work the motors. You need to beat the shit out of them a little the keep everything from gumming up.

Well I will idle some for winter warm up, but I also drive on the highway to and from work. So most of the time it wont be idle, then around town short driving. Not sure if normal highway driving will be enough, but probably since I have a pretty heavy foot.

Yeah tunes can just put EGR duty cycle to 0 and that's essentially the same as deleting it functionally. If you don't want to take the time to get it off the truck (it's a bit of a PITA), then that'll work. Also just in case you'd need to put it back on for whatever reason, it would save you the hassle at that point in time too.

If you like how it's quiet now and plan on deleting stuff, you might want to look into resonators or mufflers or whatever, because I'm pretty sure the only sound deadening in the exhaust is done by the emissions equipment.

Good to know on the EGR stuff. That is what I figured and was hoping because like you said it looks like a massive pain in the ass on these motors/trucks. I have seen turbo back exhaust that have a muffler, but I do really like a Magnaflow system that is "filter" back. I guess I could get the tune with a stainless downpipe and the exhaust I want and put in my own muffler. I do have the capability of cutting and welding :)

So again lets go back, whats best for the motor the fully deleted totally illegal tune, or the legal-ish tune only with the EGR and DEF systems in place? I know the EGR system and what the catch can do are different, but will eliminating the additional oil from the catch can help keep everything cleaner with a still functioning EGR system? Or is it best for the engine (ignoring the legal aspect of it) to eliminate it completely as well as having a proper catch can?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info