Lets find me a new daily

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Alright guys, the time is rapidly approaching where I will need a new daily driver. Current DD is a 2008 Honda Accord coupe with the 2.4 which has a good size list of issues. The worst offender (in my eyes) is that it consumes oil at a good rate. This is due to a piston ring issue on those specific K24 motors. So while I can fix all of the other problems, that one isn't going anywhere without a rebuild. Add to that I have owned it for 6 years now which for someone who has had ~20 cars that's an eternity. Before we dig in, I will say there is a decent chance I wont buy anything anytime soon. For starters I hate car payments, and don't really want to start a new one. Secondly I don't really dislike the car (other than needing to add oil), its just getting long in the tooth.

Now for the fun part! Budget is around $20k and as usual cheaper is better. I drive 75 miles give or take each day, so it needs to be pretty reliable. I also am terrible about taking care of my own cars :) I prefer something that gets good mileage since I drive so much. I also don't want something that will kill me come time for maintenance or parts replacement. Thinking old super depreciated luxury cars that kill you on the back end. Last up, I am a pretty big guy (tall) so no super small cars since I simply wont fit.

I am open to just about anything. I am not very brand loyal, car, truck, wagon, hatchback, coupe, sedan, pretty much anything goes. The top contender so far I think is a 2015 Audi S5 Coupe. BUT I have been looking at Mercedes E350, CLA550, Lexus IS or GS, Newer Accord, various pickups (must be 4 door and long bed), Audi A4 wagons, A3's?. I am clearly leaning toward something a bit more luxury only because its been a long time since I have had something nice.

So what should I be looking at, what should I avoid? Lets hear what TCG thinks!

Sean

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

BS ISF

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 24, 2012
WEST BURBS
I am 100% biased but at least go test drive an ISF. I know the interior is out dated sure and the nav/info is really dated and subpar.

Reliable
FBO w/ tune 410-420whp
seats are great
chassis is solid along with the drivetrain, 2008-10 harsher ride and e-lsd, 2011-14 updated suspension, torsen lsd and updated nav/info
8 speed trans is old and is quirky but gets the job done in auto and upsifts are really quick in manual mode

Reactions: ragingclue

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I am 100% biased but at least go test drive an ISF. I know the interior is out dated sure and the nav/info is really dated and subpar.

Reliable
FBO w/ tune 410-420whp
seats are great
chassis is solid along with the drivetrain, 2008-10 harsher ride and e-lsd, 2011-14 updated suspension, torsen lsd and updated nav/info
8 speed trans is old and is quirky but gets the job done in auto and upsifts are really quick in manual mode
I am totally fine with Bias :) I like the ISF, and looked at one years ago. Always good to hear changes/fixes from year to year on cars. That is the kind of info I appreciate rather than blanket this is good or bad.

Totally random, but between other threads I found in here and a buddy of mine, I am starting to be convinced that a Diesel Colorado may fit the bill. Crew cab, "long" bed, 2WD or 4WD with the 2.8 Diesel. Has more towing capacity than my old ram. The 6' bed is not ideal, but also not terrible and it matches the size of the truck well. Mileage is pretty good, and can be improved with some tweaks. I like that it would fit in my garage, and on my lift unlike a full size truck. If I am going to have 1 vehicle, it seems like a great split between a daily driver and a truck for me.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Man, tons of great suggestions in here :p

I am becoming more and more sold on a Colorado. Technically I like the GMC Canyon better, but they are harder to find and also tend to have more miles for the same price or are just more money. In a perfect world I would find a Denali that has low miles and I could swing, but I don't think that is gonna happen. I say in a coworkers Colorado extended cab this morning and I fit really well. With the seat all the way back I could actually fully extend my leg which is not something that happens often for me. Sure I was sitting next to or maybe behind the B pillar, but that is how it is in any 4 door car for me.

So lets shift this to talking about the Colorado/Canyon's! Specifically I am interested in the Diesel version. I am guessing the reliability, mileage, and power go up with a DEF/EGR delete? Whats good/bad about the diesel in general? What should I look out for? Should I go 4X4 or just 2WD, I have 0 plans of ever offroading it. I know at least a few guys here have these things, so hopefully they chime in.

Thanks,
Sean

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Good luck getting a delete. Maybe in a couple years when the dust settles, but the EPA is dick stomping everybody throughout the chain of making that possible at the moment. So if you plan on getting a diesel twin, assume you're going to be emissions-intact. Some tuners are moving to get CARB EOs but what they can do will be severely limited. Not sure they'll even be able to do anything about the maddening behavior at initial throttle tip in which is the only performance related change in the calibration I'd ask for. Sucks what the EGR is doing to the engine, but if you take that off, NOx goes through the roof and that's not a great thing. Plus I'm not sure you'd want to deal with the warranty coverage dance if you're tuned and one of your wrist pins goes or an injector burns a hole in your piston (not super frequent things, but they do happen). Or when ice chunks eat your impeller, although I don't think many guys are getting turned away for that repair while tuned, but I don't know.... But anyway at that price point, maybe we're not even worried about warranty anyway...? So maybe that point is moot. That's my $.02 if you're depending on deleting or modding with the LWN.

And since you're going to be emissions-on unless you buy a deleted truck, you should know those systems are very unreliable. People are getting NOx sensors and DEF assemblies replaced a ton, and some dealers will not cover that past the B2B as they can be argued to be technically "minor" components in the words of the EPA regulation.

But some people want the diesel anyway, it's just what they want. If that's you, do it. Get the 4WD if you can, as the Auto 4WD feature is something I use a lot when the weather isn't the greatest. But there are also plenty of people who daily the 2WD models year round in similar climates, so it's not really required if you don't need it particularly.

EDIT: If you don't have a need for a truck, I really do like the IS-F suggestion, and I don't know if I ever met a GS I didn't like.... They're great cars and, as mentioned, should be more reliable.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Yes, I did bounce a bit but I said I was looking at everything. I initially brushed off the Colorado, but then realized I would be able to tow my car with it. As I said its not the most ideal truck, or the most ideal daily driver, but it should be able to do both pretty well for me. Big advantage is being able to park it in my garage and put it on my lift.

So lets get into diesel and mods. I have found delete kits, tunes, intake, exhaust, and so on with a little looking. Where I live I don't have emissions, so no worry there. I don't think I would have a warranty depending on exactly what I find. Even if I do, I can always wait till is up. So are we saying that the DEF and EGR systems, which I would want to delete, are unreliable? Sounds like even more reason to delete them. I am not a diesel guy at all, but what are the downsides to deleting? Besides worse emissions and questionable legality? In general, how is the reliability on the diesel vs the V6? I know one person with a 2018 Diesel and he has had 0 drivetrain issues. Maybe an 02 sensor, but I think he only had small issues with chassis related stuff. Granted, its a 2018 so not a ton of miles on it yet, but he does tow with it and daily drive it.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
The EGR system itself isn't unreliable, it just kinda trashes what's downstream but AFAIK not catastrophically in these....? A diesel tech familiar with these would be able to cover that better as I'm not one. The DEF system is for sure unreliable, as DEF is finicky when it gets super cold or is old, and the components crap out a lot. And when it's crapped out you get a message that you're fucked unless you take it to a dealer within X number of miles or else your truck is a lawn ornament.

I would say you want to delete neither but that's my extremely subjective opinion as I'm also generally not for the deletion of emissions equipment. The downsides are worse emissions, and if the feds decide to start hammering end users, then you have a problem (I don't think they'll bother with that though, they're just working on cutting the process off upstream mostly, but who knows in the upcoming years when they get better at how to fund themselves).

Not sure where you're finding tuners in the US for that as they've pretty much wholesale stopped servicing the US market for now, but don't out them here. The EPA will find them if they haven't already, though. Those MFers have been busy little bees the last couple years.

I get the deleting for reliability angle out of warranty, but I wish we instead just forced the manufacturers to make stuff that wasn't of consumable quality. Once things fail out of warranty, they've got you over a barrel and make money, so why would they put that investment on the front end to make the systems stout? Seems like there needs to be more incentive there, but then you're adding to the cost of the diesel when it's already a decent amount more expensive than the gas alternative.... So I guess it's a bit of a Catch-22.

Anyway sorry to muddy up your thread with EPA/delete argument stuff, but that's just my angle on that.

I have an '18 with 23k miles and no powertrain issues except one turbo eating ice (replaced). I had emissions related issues pretty bad right off the bat but nothing since. The rattles are pretty killer though. Now that they've got the 8L all sorted out with the shudder issue, the V6 should be a very reliable truck.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Its not clutter, its good info. I guess the thing I have going for me is it will be in my heated garage over night which may help the DEF system? During work it will sit outside, but I also have a 45-60 minute drive each way. I know short drives and stop and go are generally not great for those systems.

We pretty much have the opposite opinions on deleting emissions systems :) I want less complexity, more reliability, better mileage which almost always means deleting emissions devices. Now on my daily drivers I don't mess with that stuff, but on the diesel it seems to have a large effect on those things so makes me want to get rid of it.

I have been reading about the transmissions. Looks like its a relatively easy fix, or try and get an 18+ model. I haven't seen anything on the ice in the turbo stuff. Sounds like you are saying these trucks are good, but just go with the V6? I think the V6 can tow 7,000 compared to 7,700 with the diesel. Not exactly a huge difference, but the mileage is down on the V6. According to the EPA though the fuel cost per year is less due to 87 being a little cheaper than diesel. I am not MPG obsessive, I don't drive conservative at all, but I also don't want to waste more money on gas just because. In this case I wouldn't get the gas 4 because it couldn't do what I need it to do. If I was looking at a car though I would tend to go to the smaller more efficient motors.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Alright guys, the time is rapidly approaching where I will need a new daily driver. Current DD is a 2008 Honda Accord coupe with the 2.4 which has a good size list of issues. The worst offender (in my eyes) is that it consumes oil at a good rate. This is due to a piston ring issue on those specific K24 motors. So while I can fix all of the other problems, that one isn't going anywhere without a rebuild. Add to that I have owned it for 6 years now which for someone who has had ~20 cars that's an eternity. Before we dig in, I will say there is a decent chance I wont buy anything anytime soon. For starters I hate car payments, and don't really want to start a new one. Secondly I don't really dislike the car (other than needing to add oil), its just getting long in the tooth.

Now for the fun part! Budget is around $20k and as usual cheaper is better. I drive 75 miles give or take each day, so it needs to be pretty reliable. I also am terrible about taking care of my own cars :) I prefer something that gets good mileage since I drive so much. I also don't want something that will kill me come time for maintenance or parts replacement. Thinking old super depreciated luxury cars that kill you on the back end. Last up, I am a pretty big guy (tall) so no super small cars since I simply wont fit.

I am open to just about anything. I am not very brand loyal, car, truck, wagon, hatchback, coupe, sedan, pretty much anything goes. The top contender so far I think is a 2015 Audi S5 Coupe. BUT I have been looking at Mercedes E350, CLA550, Lexus IS or GS, Newer Accord, various pickups (must be 4 door and long bed), Audi A4 wagons, A3's?. I am clearly leaning toward something a bit more luxury only because its been a long time since I have had something nice.

So what should I be looking at, what should I avoid? Lets hear what TCG thinks!

Sean
How about at 2014 Audi S8 full service history stage 1 APR tune and just amazing. I might know a guy ?. Although you will need to raise your budget a TAD

Reactions: Yaj Yak

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Its not clutter, its good info. I guess the thing I have going for me is it will be in my heated garage over night which may help the DEF system? During work it will sit outside, but I also have a 45-60 minute drive each way. I know short drives and stop and go are generally not great for those systems.

We pretty much have the opposite opinions on deleting emissions systems :) I want less complexity, more reliability, better mileage which almost always means deleting emissions devices. Now on my daily drivers I don't mess with that stuff, but on the diesel it seems to have a large effect on those things so makes me want to get rid of it.

I have been reading about the transmissions. Looks like its a relatively easy fix, or try and get an 18+ model. I haven't seen anything on the ice in the turbo stuff. Sounds like you are saying these trucks are good, but just go with the V6? I think the V6 can tow 7,000 compared to 7,700 with the diesel. Not exactly a huge difference, but the mileage is down on the V6. According to the EPA though the fuel cost per year is less due to 87 being a little cheaper than diesel. I am not MPG obsessive, I don't drive conservative at all, but I also don't want to waste more money on gas just because. In this case I wouldn't get the gas 4 because it couldn't do what I need it to do. If I was looking at a car though I would tend to go to the smaller more efficient motors.
I used to also want the benefits of deleting, but I just don't really have that desire anymore. Plus, once the EPA sticks their fingers in your bum, you kinda want to not have it happen again. But I can 100% understand why someone would want that stuff gone out of warranty simply because it's poorly implemented and will be nothing but a headache. But at one point, the emissions controls on gas vehicles was just as bad, and eventually it got much better. Hopefully the same happens with diesels.

I'm not saying you have to go with the V6. It's just that the diesel has its own set of complications people should be aware of. The V6 has generally been good for people. The big issue I was aware of was the shudder, and they seem to have nixed that for good, so I'm struggling to think of any major issues the V6 has shown from a reliability standpoint.... but I'm not thinking very hard right now anyway, it's Friday. If you like the diesel and you really want it, the only issues I know of outside of the emissions stuff are the sticking injectors (hole in piston), wrist pin failures, and turbo fins eating ice, with the last one being specific to certain climates like ours, and the first two not exactly being super common. But they're there, so it's worth thinking about. In the end, if you want a diesel, do it. If you do delete, then you don't have to worry about the emissions items giving you a headache. So that would be a helluva lot less to worry about.

Compared to EPA MPG estimates, people seem to do better relative to the rated numbers with the diesel as opposed to the gas, but in the end you're going to have to drive it a while while not incurring any diesel-specific reliability issues in order for it to even out from a purely financial standpoint. It is really really nice being able to drive 500+ miles on one tank though. I do like that, and the non-ZR2s go much further than that.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Update time!

Friday night I took the wife up to a dealer that had a Colorado that I knew wasn't really THE truck, but was pretty representative. It was a crew cab, "long" bed, 4X4 Diesel 2016. We took it for a spin, she liked it but was worried it was too small. We ended up also taking out a new F150 which was a crew cab with a 6.5' bed with the 3.6L ecoboost. It was a nice truck, the wife liked it a lot more, but it was also a lot more money (like 20K more). After getting back with that one we were standing around talking and they said take the Colorado for the night. That gave me an opportunity to see how it would be on a longer drive since the dealer was 45 minutes from my house or so. I really liked it, and was comfortable in it for the longer drive. Having it for a longer time also helped clarify what options would be good, and which we could do without. I decided that a Z71 with navigation and leather would cover all the bases. The one I drove was not a Z71 and did not have leather. We were also able to see how (if) it would fit in the garage and some other things like that. It is tight, but we should be able to make it work. It wont currently go under the lift though which kind of sucks, but I may be able to fix that.

Saturday I found a truck that checked all the boxes out in Michigan. I got that dealer mixed up with another dealer that closed at 1 so I didn't make any attempt to get the truck returned and go out to MI. I found out later they were open till 4, but by then it was pretty much too late to make the drive. I did get them to send me a bunch more pictures, and also the build sheet so I could verify all of the options. Yesterday I found a GMC Canyon that is in IL but priced a bit higher. So I am trying to beat them both up on pricing and we will see where it goes. I really like the GMC but they are harder to find for sure. They are more money in general, and tend to also have more miles even with the higher price. None have really jumped out at me as a great deal so I will probably end up with a Colorado.

I'm glad I started looking at these! Really seems like a perfect split between a good daily, and a truck for us.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
V6 Z71 crew, its awesome. I'd get the V6 again in a hearbeat and it seems like most people and reviews say to get the gasser. Otherwise though its a great truck and if you search on here all the Colorado owners say they would buy it again. In my model year, 17, I picked the Chevy on purpose, I prefered the look of it to the GMC.... With the new Chevy front end I think I am back towards liking the GMC more.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
V6 Z71 crew, its awesome. I'd get the V6 again in a hearbeat and it seems like most people and reviews say to get the gasser. Otherwise though its a great truck and if you search on here all the Colorado owners say they would buy it again.

I remember looking at your thread a while back, and actually looked it up again on Friday. I am hung up on the diesel. Not that the gas motor is bad, I have seen nothing but good things about it, but diesel :) I like the slightly better mileage, slightly better towing, and diesel's general reputation for durability. If any of those things translate to anything tangible in the real world, who knows. I guess we will find out, things are moving along with the one in MI.

Sean

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I think that is the debate. The diesel is only in this truck so there isn't a lot of them, whereas the V6 is in everything. The V6 is also peppier as it loves to rev so its just more fun to drive and gets out of its own way when you get on it. My decision was easy since we have an extended cab I couldn't get a diesel without going ZR2 which I didn't want to do. The extra 700 lbs of towing isn't much when you consider gas and diesel are nearly the same price, diesel is often more expensive, you need DEF, diesel is more maintenance, and unless you are a unicorn you probably won't keep the truck long enough to pay yourself back in mileage because a diesel lasts longer. I just think the odds are stacked against it.

And you have a guy that owns the diesel telling you to consider not getting a diesel.

Oh and to touch on 4WD we never use it. We leave it in auto 4WD and it also never engages. I put Duratracs on it and we live in an area with regular plowing and salting so no issues. I don't even put sand in the bed anymore.

Trans is good now, I had the TQ converter replaced and that wasn't the issue, then they did the fluid flush last year with a new spec and the truck has been great ever since. So make sure it has had that service if you get the 8 speed.

Reactions: Broke EF

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I think that is the debate. The diesel is only in this truck so there isn't a lot of them, whereas the V6 is in everything. The V6 is also peppier as it loves to rev so its just more fun to drive and gets out of its own way when you get on it. My decision was easy since we have an extended cab I couldn't get a diesel without going ZR2 which I didn't want to do. The extra 700 lbs of towing isn't much when you consider gas and diesel are nearly the same price, diesel is often more expensive, you need DEF, diesel is more maintenance, and unless you are a unicorn you probably won't keep the truck long enough to pay yourself back in mileage because a diesel lasts longer. I just think the odds are stacked against it.

And you have a guy that owns the diesel telling you to consider not getting a diesel.

Oh and to touch on 4WD we never use it. We leave it in auto 4WD and it also never engages. I put Duratracs on it and we live in an area with regular plowing and salting so no issues. I don't even put sand in the bed anymore.

Trans is good now, I had the TQ converter replaced and that wasn't the issue, then they did the fluid flush last year with a new spec and the truck has been great ever since. So make sure it has had that service if you get the 8 speed.

I'm still gonna go diesel :LOL::LOL: I know we have already gone over this, but I will likely delete and tune it. That makes it at least as peppy as the V6 if not more so, and will also making towing that much better. Its not only the weight capacity with regards to towing. Watch a video comparing the V6 vs the Diesel towing, and the diesel is the clear winner. Handles the weight up hill a lot better, and with the engine braking going down hill you have way more control. I am not hanging my hat on just towing, but I will 100% be towing with it and likely close to capacity since I have a heavy ass car.

I agree with the 4WD, and I am kind of being peer pressured into it :p We have Colorado's at work, and my buddy is one of the guys who has one. He says he doesn't put it in 4WD often, but its helped him out before. His is also loaded with a ton of weight in the back, BUT on stock tires. I imagine some good tires would probably negate most of the need for 4WD. Basically I can take it or leave it, but seems easier to find them with it. Plus I wouldn't want to get stuck in the snow outside the mall!

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
the diesel appears to pick up some hp/TQ with a tune too. I think it needs rods to get a decent amount out of it though.
Tune only they say +52 HP and +80 ft-lbs. That is the "race" tune, but still pretty good numbers. Also I have seen 3-5 more MPG with a tune, an of course better with a DEF delete. The main things with the tune (for me) is better mileage and better throttle response. The added power when towing will be nice, but around here its so flat I don't think I actually need it.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I'm still gonna go diesel :LOL::LOL: I know we have already gone over this, but I will likely delete and tune it. That makes it at least as peppy as the V6 if not more so, and will also making towing that much better. Its not only the weight capacity with regards to towing. Watch a video comparing the V6 vs the Diesel towing, and the diesel is the clear winner. Handles the weight up hill a lot better, and with the engine braking going down hill you have way more control. I am not hanging my hat on just towing, but I will 100% be towing with it and likely close to capacity since I have a heavy ass car.

I agree with the 4WD, and I am kind of being peer pressured into it :p We have Colorado's at work, and my buddy is one of the guys who has one. He says he doesn't put it in 4WD often, but its helped him out before. His is also loaded with a ton of weight in the back, BUT on stock tires. I imagine some good tires would probably negate most of the need for 4WD. Basically I can take it or leave it, but seems easier to find them with it. Plus I wouldn't want to get stuck in the snow outside the mall!

Yeah I had weight in the first year on the stock GY ATs so I can't compare directly, but Duratracs on two vehicles and both of them we never used 4wd, tires matter for sure.

I think a big difference in what you are describing is likely transmission. The diesel gets a 6 speed vs the gasser 8 speed. I had my truck tuned more so for the trans tuning benefit as the damn thing loves to upshift and it didn't like to downshift. So I'd guess the 6 speed doesn't act the same way. But no way that I know of to get a 6 speed V6 nor an 8 speed Diesel for comparison.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Yeah I had weight in the first year on the stock GY ATs so I can't compare directly, but Duratracs on two vehicles and both of them we never used 4wd, tires matter for sure.

I think a big difference in what you are describing is likely transmission. The diesel gets a 6 speed vs the gasser 8 speed. I had my truck tuned more so for the trans tuning benefit as the damn thing loves to upshift and it didn't like to downshift. So I'd guess the 6 speed doesn't act the same way. But no way that I know of to get a 6 speed V6 nor an 8 speed Diesel for comparison.
I think the 2015's were a 6 speed on the V6? I could be wrong, and I think I also remember that the motor is different as well in 16+? But also like you said no 8 speed diesel to compare. I do think either would do what I need/want, I just want the diesel. Hopefully I don't end up regretting it but if I do I will say you told me so!

Reactions: EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I think the 2015's were a 6 speed on the V6? I could be wrong, and I think I also remember that the motor is different as well in 16+? But also like you said no 8 speed diesel to compare. I do think either would do what I need/want, I just want the diesel. Hopefully I don't end up regretting it but if I do I will say you told me so!

Ah true, I didn't think about backwards. I never looked at those. And yes the V6 was different before 17 and that was a reason to pass. Apparently they have issues but the new style is solid. Who knows?

When I shopped new was the same price as used, trucks are weird like that, and there weren't many used to shop for.

Reactions: Broke EF
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info