Bill

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
On a more serious note. How are they getting these packages past the EPA?

Its one thing for a aftermarket shop to mod a car. Or for an owner to do it themselves. As long as the car still passes emissions its pretty much invisible to the EPA.

But when you sell a brand new car and advertise it with the package isn't it way more visible to the EPA and might bring their wrath down?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
On a more serious note. How are they getting these packages past the EPA?

Its one thing for a aftermarket shop to mod a car. Or for an owner to do it themselves. As long as the car still passes emissions its pretty much invisible to the EPA.

But when you sell a brand new car and advertise it with the package isn't it way more visible to the EPA and might bring their wrath down?
I think the whipple kits are carb approved but not positive

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Fn awesome! First thing I also thought of was emisión tests. It wouldn’t be a problem for three years until you get that friggin notice though.

If it has catalytic converters and all emissions systems working, it should pass with no issue.

Also, in Illinois, you can pass with one monitor not ready. Including, oddly enough, the monitor for the cats. lol

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
If it has catalytic converters and all emissions systems working, it should pass with no issue.

Also, in Illinois, you can pass with one monitor not ready. Including, oddly enough, the monitor for the cats. lol

That's odd. My 2V failed when I had the o2 sensors turned off in the tune.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
That's odd. My 2V failed when I had the o2 sensors turned off in the tune.
Passed with this.

5NSCxyy.jpg

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
That's why. You can't have them turned off. They have to be on but can be "Not ready" if it is the only monitor not ready.

See blueoval4life's pic.
The sucky part is . If you don't monitor it and take your car in and fail the first time. Then it don't matter. The next test "ALL" have to be in ready state. So don't fail the first test!

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I have never run into this as I always check the monitors first. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up!
Well its specific to the catalyst monitor. Which for most of us is the key one. So if you fail with catalayst code your first test your pretty much screwed it needs to be "ready" for the retest. Which is not possible without reinstalling the CATS :p

Remember, vehicles are rejected when more than two (2) non-continuous readiness monitors are “not ready” for 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles, or when more than one (1) non-continuous readiness monitor is “not ready” for 2001 and newer model year vehicles. Additionally, the catalyst monitor must be “ready” at the time of any retest after a vehicle failed an initial test for any catalyst code.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info