lease a volt for 369/month?!

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
PLUG IN PRIUS MAYBE, BUT THE STANDARD ONE IS NOTHING IMPRESSIVE. PLUS THE VOLT IS ACTUALLY A MUCH NICER DRIVING AND RIDING CAR AND IT IS FAR NICER INSIDE THAN A PRIUS

Have you driven one for a week? I don't know what it takes to impress you but 55+ mpg's is enough for me. There's nothing that can compete with that.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The fact that once it goes 40 miles and the gas engine kicks in it gets mileage worse than a Cruze Eco and costs 10K more means it sucks. For someone going under 40 miles round trip it might be economical but for the cost it is unimpressive. At point the leaf or plug in Prius is a better vehicle.

All of these cars are appliances. They aren't meant as anything more so comfort is irrelevant. I'd rather have a shitty interior and a 25K base price.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Let's check the numbers on buying a Volt vs. a $25,000 hybrid.

We'll take the best case scenario with you using little or no gasoline. If you save $.10 per mile and the car costs $10K more than another hybrid, it will take you 100,000 miles to break even on the additional purchase costs.

Again, using a best case scenario of you getting 40 miles from the batteries twice a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year that's 250 weeks of driving or 5 years just to break even.

So, once you get to the point that you are driving a 5 year old 100,000 mile Volt, you will START saving ten cents a mile. Plus, add into the equation that your batteries will be wearing out and you will have another large cost to replace them.

Volt doesn't look as good when you do the math.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Let's check the numbers.

We'll take the best case scenario with you using little or no gasoline. If you save $.10 per mile and the car costs $10K more than another hybrid, it will take you 100,000 miles to break even on the additional purchase costs.

Again, using a best case scenario of you getting 40 miles from the batteries twice a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year that's 250 weeks of driving or 5 years just to break even.

So, once you get to the point that you are driving a 5 year old 100,000 mile Volt, you will START saving ten cents a mile. Plus, add into the equation that your batteries will be wearing out and you will have another large cost to replace them.

You forgot to factor in the "saving money by leasing a volt" differential.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You forgot to factor in the "saving money by leasing a volt" differential.
You're right. I caught and added the qualification for buying the Volt vs. a $25,000 hybrid while you were posting.

If you take leasing instead, you will have to figure lease price of the Volt vs. lease price of the cheaper hybrid and see how the numbers work. Anyone want to look up what it costs to lease a $25K hybrid for 3 years?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Let's check the numbers on buying a Volt vs. a $25,000 hybrid.

Which is what I said earlier.

It needs a lower price and better range (in pure electric mode) to be a viable alternative.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I take it for granted you are almost 100% correct any time you post, Larry. Just doing the math to show everyone.
It's a shame because it drives really nice. Just not quite where it needs to be yet.

I doubt anybody is getting even close to 40 miles of range on the electric though, at least not the cars I've come across. Every time I see one the guy is driving like a complete nut with their foot flat against the floorboard.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The problem you run into when making comparisons of the Volt to other cars is people don't take into account the niceness of the vehicle. It's like comparing a BMW SUV to a Ford Escape and saying "well the Escape get's better gas mileage so it's a better deal". Yeah, if mileage is your ONLY concern than this is a valid argument but the Volt is a much nicer car than just about any other econo car made and you can feel it. It's actually a really nice car.

I would pay more for a Volt than I would a comparable hybrid because the Volt is a better car to me.

This looks like a mighty tempting deal. This would be a perfect car to leave in Cali but then I thought about it for a moment and you can buy a fully equipped Focus with Nav, Xenons, auto-parking, etc for $27000, have cheaper payments and actually own the car. The Focus is a really nice car too.

If you're a diehard green fan though, the Volt deal is pretty sweet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info