• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Learn Me: Plasti-Dip Edition (Now with Backyard/Shade-tree body work questions!)

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
So I picked up a little screw around with toy a few months ago, an SN95 Mustang.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/member-builds/143384-sprayins-sn95-mustang.html

The car is straight as an arrow, and there is no rust, but the paint is pretty bad. Its all sun baked, and the clear is peeling in many places. Since this is a "lowest budget possible" car, I thought I would explore some of the cheap routes to getting her done.

One of the perceived and often touted "cheap methods" for paint is Plasti-Dip. Now, I can search the internet as well as the next guy. I've seen pictures of what they look like, I've even seen plasti-dipped cars in person. That being said, I would like to hear what other people have to say about it. How does it hold up? Are there people like :s00ls: who post on Facebook that they wanna peel someones dipped car, that actually do that shit? Can any random hillbilly apply this shit and it will look relatively not-hillbilly?

Looking around online, it appears a lot of people point to this website, and on the website, I come across this kit in particular: https://www.dipyourcar.com/Professional-Car-Kit.html

Is this a proper channel to finding the right stuff? Somewhere/something else you would recommend instead?

As far as prepping the car for dip. What is all involved? There are some spots in which the clear is flaking off, and its a sort of physical bubble off the paint. How do I get that junk off? Sanding? What would you recommend for that? If I'm going to sand that off, do I need to lay something down first before I dip it?

Would I be better off just painting the car? I'm not completely against a primer grey race car looking shitbox, if it comes down to it. However, I like the idea of being able to make the car a proper color. I also like the idea that plasti-dip is supposedly forgiving if you fuck it up. My paint and body work experience is limited (thus this stupid thread.)

The car is red (wine red, not the bright one.) Does this limit the color I can dip the car? I would prefer darker green or just keep it red. Not really feeling black/grey/bright colors. Is the 3 gallons in that kit above enough or do I need more? Is there anything you need to do to maintain this stuff? How do you wash it? What if the god damn birds, that wont leave the tree despite my best efforts, decide to shit all over it?

While we are at it, there is no engine in the car. The paint under the hood isn't terrible, but when I washed all of the grease off of it, it took some of the paint with it. I would like to repaint under the hood too. What would you recommend for that? It can be black for simplicity, or it can be the same color as the car.

*Disclaimer: This is not going to be a show car. I don't expect a perfect car. I fully expect it to look like shit. Almost anything will look better than it does now, though. I am mainly just trying to get my dick wet on some sort of paint work (even if its just dip.)

Thanks frands.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
If you expect it to look like shit then go full beater bomb and leave the shitty stock paint. Nothing is more budget than not spending any money. On my old ass LT1 the clear was flaking so I sanded it down, some pots to the primers and cleared it with a rattle can. That adds to the shitty look but still protects the body.

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
If you expect it to look like shit then go full beater bomb and leave the shitty stock paint. Nothing is more budget than not spending any money. On my old ass LT1 the clear was flaking so I sanded it down, some pots to the primers and cleared it with a rattle can. That adds to the shitty look but still protects the body.

There was some much clear flaking off that guys would have to turn on their wipers when I would race them.

Last edited:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

I'm not completely against it. I would like to *try* to un-redneck this thing though.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I've dipped wheels before on two of my cars and recently dipped certain body panels on the wrx. If you take your time and do it right, it actually turns out pretty good. It's easy to clean and isn't too hard to remove. I've gotten a few compliments on it and no one actually guessed it was plasti dip.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
DipYourCar.com is the place to go with. Buy one of their car kits in the color you want and go to town. You can try to get creative with colors if you want, but I have no advice there since I went straight with 3 gallons and sprayed my car. Do it on a comfortable morning/afternoon in the spring and you'll be done before dusk. It's ridiculously simple to do. DO NOT sand the paint down though. Plasti-dip is A LOT more transparent than you'd think, and major variations in the surface will show through several coats of the plasti-dip. For example, I sanded down some spots on my car to bare metal, and you can still see the difference between the paint and metal under 6 or more coats of plasti-dip. I'd just clean the surface really well, remove any flaking clear that is about to come off, then spray away. Having mine coated for the last 3 years, I've found that it stains easily. I don't have a lot of miles on the car, but it is holding up pretty well. Watch the how-to videos on DipYourCar.com and do exactly what he suggests. The only deviation I would make from his instruction is to try and avoid getting dip on certain kinds of porous window trim, but even that isn't a big deal. [MENTION=750]RICH17[/MENTION] helped me do mine, so he might have some other tips.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Like Brian said. The underlying color really shows through. his car had a block front bumper, white deck lid, red side skirts, and the body was blue like in his sig. You could see the difference on every panel. But a quick and cheap paint job it works.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Yes but the person to ask would be that dip your car guy. I dont know what color you want or if you need a base coat. I have dipped my rims and emblems but not a whole car. I have seen a smurf blue camaro that was dipped. It looked good but not perfect like a paint job.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
So if the car is red, I should probably stick with red?
Not necessarily, and you don't necessarily need a base coat either, but for example, blue over a red car will look a little different than the same blue with the same coats over a white car. You won't see the red through the blue per se, but you may see a shade difference. And in the case of my anecdote, after a few coats, I wasn't really seeing the panel color through the dip, but I could see a definite panel-to-panel shade difference in the blue. Also, where I had taken it down to metal, I wasn't seeing the silver through the dip, but I could see a shade gradient through the blue even after several coats.

This post from my dip thread illustrates pretty well what I'm trying to explain.
http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...now-few-pics-my-grand-prix-2.html#post2450623

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I took a few pictures of some problem areas. What can I do to get rid of the flake or even it out before dip?

These are in the corners because all of the clear in between is gone already.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420751532339.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420751532339.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420751543300.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420751543300.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420751552398.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420751552398.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 39

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Bumpin the newest DIP thread I found.

I JUST did my winterwheels in Shadowblack HyperDip and now they dropped this glossy dip. Apparently you can use this new gloss hyperdip over ShadowBlack, just waiting on that video to drop (per Fonzie’s IG)

will definitely be getting a case of these for my stock wheels and to redo the winter wheels, which I needed to touch up anyways.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info