Learn me on C4 Corvettes

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a new project car. Its a C4 vette convertable (not sure what year yet). its missing a lot of the interior, but it has the full powertrain. I'm not sure if it runs or not, but I think a lot of the wiring is ripped out. Its a project by every sense of the word, but the guy doesn't want a lot for it. Its an AZ car so I'm sure nothing is rusted or rotting underneath.

Any concerns I should look for? Is that generation worth anything? I'm a Ford :nutz: so I don't know anything about them :rofl: Any good places to check out for parts (either used or reproduction)? Best forum for them?

Thanks!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Convertible? YUUUUCK! My brother had a C4 for a couple years. DD'd it through the entire year, winter and all. Had some pretty high mileage and ran like a champ. Very stout cars. That's about my extent of knowledge, I'll let the pro's check in this bitch.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Tom....you just referred someone to ANOTHER forum...you realize thats treason, right?

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
Pray for either a 95 or 95 for the vented opti spark. Other than that they are pretty bulletproof. I'm assuming automatic so it'll have the Dana 36 rear diff which is slightly weak compared to the Dana 44 in the manual vettes

Oh and you can buy any part for the car from mid America motor works..... And I mean ANY part

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Its an automatic. I have no idea what year it is, my dad told me it was an 80's, but that doesnt mean anything :rofl: Im gunna go look at it tomorrow or the next day. I mainly just wanted to see if it was worth it to pick it up. Didnt want a complete money pit for something thatll never be anything but junk.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Convertible? YUUUUCK! My brother had a C4 for a couple years. DD'd it through the entire year, winter and all. Had some pretty high mileage and ran like a champ. Very stout cars. That's about my extent of knowledge, I'll let the pro's check in this bitch.
Yeah its a vert. Im not real excited about that, but the price is right.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
80s vettes are the most underpowered turd vettes you can buy. My dad had a 85, thing made my 99GT look quick. It was cool in the summer though with the targa top.

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
sit on the ground and practice climbing in and out of the bathtub. if you enjoy it you'll love a c4

LSx S10

Reaction score
I've got someone who would want the engine if you're planning on going a different direction with it. Assuming it's not the crossfire injection garbage.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've got someone who would want the engine if you're planning on going a different direction with it. Assuming it's not the crossfire injection garbage.
Idk which engine it is yet. However, I do live in AZ now, so selling to someone in IL wouldn't be practical lol.

I'm gunna go check it out today hopefully.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Reaction score
Well if it's needs as much as you say parts are gonna be expensive because it's a "Corvette". Then when you get it all fixed up it won't be worth anything because it's a C4.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well if it's needs as much as you say parts are gonna be expensive because it's a "Corvette". Then when you get it all fixed up it won't be worth anything because it's a C4.
Parts don't seem too ridiculous actually. But that's my main question. Are they worthless and a waste of time?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
The best thing about a C4 Vette is you can spend a few hundred bucks, convert it to carburetor and drive the piss out of it reliably.

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
THE L98 MOTOR IS ACTUALLY PRETTY TORQUEY..... SO STOPLIGHT TO STOPLIGHT THEY ARE OK, BUT THEY RUN OUT OF BREATH QUICKLY. BEST BET IS TO MOTOR SWAP IT AND MAKE A RACECAR OUT OF IT

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Its an 86. Its not THAT rough, but its rough. Dude ripped into the wiring and had no idea what he was doing. I still think the price is right tho.

pajamasam

Reaction score
Its an 86. Its not THAT rough, but its rough. Dude ripped into the wiring and had no idea what he was doing. I still think the price is right tho.
85 and 86 are the two years that are worth the least. Lowest horsepower engines from the factory of any vette.

I personally wouldn't pay over $1000 for it and that's just going off how rough you say it is. Just my .02

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
85 and 86 are the two years that are worth the least. Lowest horsepower engines from the factory of any vette.

really? even though a 1953 corvette has 150hp and 1975 base had 165hp?

I remember driving the shit out of my friends 1975 vette.. had a placard on the interior boldly sporting 165hp

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score

I personally wouldn't pay over $1000 for it and that's just going off how rough you say it is. Just my .02
He wants $300 lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom