Learn Me: GMC Yukon Denali

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I pull my rzr plus 2 quads on my aluminum trailer maybe around 6K lbs total at sea level with my '15 duramax denali.

My buddies pull the same amount. They all bought gas trucks and it pulls it but it really sucks. This year they all sold there trucks for diesels.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Are the 6.0 diesels in those pretty good motors? Are they a diesel motor that has issues?

Some say stay away from the 6.0 and go with the 7.3 unless it already has work like the below done. You can make the 6.0 very reliable. But I would just buy one that has the work done.

Engine has ARP head studs,EGRcooler delete new bullett proof oil cooler

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
joker.jpg~c200

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
wait. whatchu wan spend [MENTION=702]SleeperLS[/MENTION]

If I am lucky, I could get 18k for my Mustang. I was somewhat hoping to get a straight up trade for something that would work for me. If I need to spend more money to get something reliable that would work, I would do it. But I don't have Eagle stacks. My car is at least paid off though.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If it was me, I'd go with an LTZ/Z71/SLT Tahoe/Yukon over a Denali. I just don't like the AWD systems. They're meant for moms to get through snow in Northbrook, not up a mountain lol.

5-6k isn't diesel territory IMO if that's not what you're looking for, even for elevation power loss if you're not going long distances or frequently... HOWEVER, it's more than grounds for 3/4 ton suspension/brakes as far as grade changes, etc... I'd hate to have 5,000#'s behind me and loose trailer brakes with a Tahoe :eek:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I think you're a perfect candidate for a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL TBH... LQ4 will have the grunt to get what you're moving up the mountain, and it'll most likely have 3.73's or 4.10's. If you can live with the dismal gas mileage, I'd say that'd be your best bet having asked about SUV's as opposed to trucks...
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION]

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think you're a perfect candidate for a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL TBH... LQ4 will have the grunt to get what you're moving up the mountain, and it'll most likely have 3.73's or 4.10's. If you can live with the dismal gas mileage, I'd say that'd be your best bet having asked about SUV's as opposed to trucks...
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION]

only thing that makes me hesitant from full blown saying go for that, is the altitude he's at... living at 7,000 feet will make a gas 6.0 extremely winded. like i said, my uncles truck above 7k would be at 4-5k for most the switchbacks.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I pulled 4500#'s to and 5000#'s home from Colorado Springs... Driving on 70 and 24 with the trailer I never felt like my diesel was needed, power was on full tap, if I wasn't doing it every day, I'd say a gas vehicle would suffice... However, if I was towing a trailer on those roads and didn't have a truck that felt like it had the brakes and suspension to keep it somewhat solid on the road I'd have been a bit nervous.

I've never towed with a gas vehicle out there, so I can't speak to it. My truck started to feel winded at 10k, didn't notice too much of a difference between 800 in IL -6k in denver.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I agree, I was just trying to work off his original post. He could step into a very nice Tahoe/Yukon for $18,000. Not saying he won't get a nice Diesel, but, it's just a different ball game. One many first time truck owners might not want to play.

Lets put it this way, if I ever move to Colorado/Utah/NM, I'm not taking a gas truck with me :rofl:

But, it's doable...

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Definitely some good info in here dudes. I will say that I absolutely hate my wife's Subaru now that it has to be floored to gain any speed out here on a highway. If there is a possibility that a gasser will do the same thing out here, I wouldn't want one. I will be using this as my regular vehicle as well, so I would like something decent that didn't get the worst gas mileage. I will be primarily towing the lighter boat most often, but when I finally get that RZR I will be towing that more often. Even though I have never been a truck guy, it would seem I would have to get one if I want a decent towing vehicle. I would prefer an SUV, but beggars can't be choosers. Also, it can dump a couple feet of snow up here at a time during winter, so bad weather driving capabilities are a must.

Essentially, I wouldn't mind something I can grow into. Is owning a diesel really that bad? I enjoy working on my own vehicles, so are maintenance costs terrible?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info