• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Learn me about chop saws / miter saws

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I’d like to get one but when I was at the Home Depot they had so many. Not sure what’s good and bad about them. Two main things I’d use it for...
1) cutting steel ( probably the most use)
2) random house projects
So I need to be able to change the blade back and forth pretty easy.
Any suggestions?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I went the route of seperate saws. I know Evolution markets their saws as being able to do both as it spins at a slower rpm.

Metal chop saws I would look on craigslist/FB marketplace as you can find them super easy for cheap.
Cold cut saws for steel are really nice for way less sparks/cleaner cut.

Miter saw it really depends how fine of work you will be doing. If you are doing trim/crown/miters that require tight joints you will want something a little nicer and you also want to do some test cuts to make sure it is cutting straight and true and adjust the scales.I found out mine was cutting at 44 degrees instead of 45 and was chasing a lot of trim issues. Once fixed everything went in way easier.

I have a big slider 12 inch bosch miter saw and wouldn't recommend this unless you truly do need to cut large pieces as they are heavy and take up a ton more room.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
The only metal you would ever cut with a miter saw would be thin aluminum and that would be done with running the blade backwards.

If you are looking at chop saws there is your standard chop saw which uses and abrasive blade to cut the metal or you can go the cold cut saw route. Cold cut saws use a carbide tipped blade for cutting metals and operate at a slower RPM. The produce cleaner cuts and you don't need to debur after the cut but they are LOUD.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
For the woodworking miter saw I'd just pick up the harbor freight one that has good reviews. it's not going to get used like I do but it'll be fine for what you have. Just try to dial it as square as possible and you'll be fine. My ryobi is garbage but I make it work. I DONT however use any of the angle markings on it cause i's way off.

I'd also look at the evolution saw for metal chopping. BUT also look for a bandsaw on a stand or a port-o-band on a table.
100_1245.jpg

these bauer saws have done real good with a bunch of people I follow. And now owning the ryobi and milwaukee handheld bandsaws, I wish i got into them sooner. these are much better for fab work IMO.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
As people have already said you need 2 saws. Cutting steel with a tooth blade type saw spins at the totally wrong RPM for cutting wood. I may be wrong, but I think the arbors are different size between a miter saw and a chop saw to stop people putting a fiber blade on a miter saw. To me a miter saw is a precision tool, or at least semi precision. So I wouldn't want to trash it cutting steel with it. Nothing is more annoying than making a miter cut to go around a corner and they don't line up. So in my opinion its worth going with a nicer miter saw. I have a DeWalt 12" compound double bevel sliding saw. My only complaint is that is pretty bulky being a slider. Bosh makes a bad ass sliding saw that uses folding arms instead of guide rods. Takes up no extra room compared to a non-slider, but its very expensive. For a chop saw, the fiber blade type, they are pretty much all the same. I have never really seen on that was different enough anyway, so I would just grab whatever one is on sale.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info