• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Lean Codes P0171 and P0174

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I keep getting these on and off on the GTO.... Sometimes they go away before I can even reset it (a few starts). I have been trying to figure out why and I am starting to get VERY frustrated. Between each step I would clear the code and wait for it to come back, and every time the amount of time varies.

First I cleaned the MAF (paper filter) and checked that the intake pipes were sealed.

Next I checked my PCV hoses and put clamps on them because they were not clamped.

Next I pulled the TB and checked the gasket, looked good, reinstalled.

Today I pulled the manifold and changed the gaskets... and it came back.

What's left other than a bad MAF?

Thanks in advance for the help,

John

I also posted this on Tech: http://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-gto-2004-2006/1567972-lean-codes-p0171-p0174.html

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yessir, OEM. MAF reads .8 lbs per minute or just under at idle. MAP is reading about 4.5.

I really feel like it is the MAF, or the MAF wiring... Is there anyway to check a MAF?

I almost replaced the TB gasket today just to do it and check it off the list even though it looks fine!

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
what's the ltft at 2500 rpm? what about the upstream O2 sensor?
if the ltft is normal at 2500 and lean at idle, i'd check for a vac leak. if the o2 sensor reads lean, check for fuel starvation (low fuel pressure from a clogged filter or bad pump?).
if you can find any vac leaks and the o2 reads normal, i suspect a whacked out maf. i dont have one, but if you're ever up in lisle i could order one from napa through my shop and return it if it doesnt fix it.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I checked the LTFTs pegged at 2500 rpm and for the most part they were 20% and above. The STFTs were still fairly good, mostly between +5 and -5.

Checking the O2s is difficult with only a scanner. I feel like I saw a lot of 700 and 800 values but mixed in there were several others.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info