🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I’ve been chopping down and digging up all kinds of overgrown old bushes and trimming trees that border the old ladies place next door. City does the big tree branch pickup in a couple weeks so I want to get all the crap out there while I can.

Saw neighbor this morning and she was super happy all that shit was gone. she was feuding with the previous owner over them and she started to spray vegetation killer. I guess this explains why only half the bushes were dead and the bases rotting away only on the side that is against the fence. ?

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
This weekend… round 1 of leaves. Trees still have half their leaves on them so a lot more to go!

7DCBCA52-63E7-4A18-BACD-F531E07109B8.jpeg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
They have to know people do this. They just don’t have time to probe every bag of leaves before they pick them up. It’s all organic material, it’s not like I have used motor oil in the bottom of the bags.

A few months ago when the tornado hit in Naperville the HOA sent us a message they will be picking up all branches and tree limbs the following Monday. I had the biggest pile on the block and I had nothing happen at my house. It was perfect timing to trim everything. FREE

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
A few months ago when the tornado hit in Naperville the HOA sent us a message they will be picking up all branches and tree limbs the following Monday. I had the biggest pile on the block and I had nothing happen at my house. It was perfect timing to trim everything. FREE

Thankfully Mchenry does a branch pickup 2x year. Surprisingly they take logs and tree stumps too. Talked to one of the guys working last year and he said the city has a big log splitter but are not advertising it. I’ll probably roll the giant 45” diameter logs I have down to the curb so they take them in the spring.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

Gotta take advantage. Aurora picks up bundled branches from spring to November for free. Our neighbor had a huge tree fall over in a storm last summer. They cut it up themselves and got 25+ bundles of branches picked up free.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I would never worry about raking leaves. I barely even have a tree in my yard but my next door neighbor has a giant one. The total amount of maintenance they have done to their house and yard in the 7 years I’ve lived next door is “mow the grass as short as possible to avoid doing it again for a long time”. That’s literally it. There’s no chance in hell they will ever rake their leaves so it’s pointless for me to do it as their leaves will just blow into my yard.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I would never worry about raking leaves. I barely even have a tree in my yard but my next door neighbor has a giant one. The total amount of maintenance they have done to their house and yard in the 7 years I’ve lived next door is “mow the grass as short as possible to avoid doing it again for a long time”. That’s literally it. There’s no chance in hell they will ever rake their leaves so it’s pointless for me to do it as their leaves will just blow into my yard.
That poor lawn.

Also you noticed some of my dead spots have been from previous people leaving leaves on it all winter and killing the grass so I’m trying to just do one big clean up instead of a bunch of little ones. That’s my lazy I guess.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I cleaned up the leaves that fell from the trees on my property, which were those tiny honey locust ones. They fall early compared to the other trees in the area. My yard was clean for about 12 hours until the winds started to kick up. Now my yard is covered with leaves that originated from other properties, whose owners also do the bare minimum to maintain their yards.

So fuck 'em, I run the riding mower over the leaves with the discharge facing "out" and blow the chunks of leaves and dust back into their yards.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Actually, the other way around. Doing them all at once, then laying all that mulch from all the chopped up leaves, is going to choke out the grass more than doing it a little each week and letting the ground absorb it.

Unfortunately, it goes from 0 - 60 in dropping them, so you're kinda fucked.

Thread Info