DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
watch the auctions that Outlaw Outlaw looks at and shit like that

weird mowers can go cheap.

my buddy got 3 golf course reel mowers from some wisco muncipality that way then flipped two of em on craigslist for big money

My dad is buddies with a guy who is a golf course greens master and I’m always tempted to ask him what they do with their old equipment.

I'm talking more along the lines of this. I watched a video of a few people using this over the rake and it seemed to work really well and fast.

Interesting. I always thought those were used primarily for spreading peat after you seed.

I was looking at getting a large stand behind for my place. I mowed the lawn the first time with a 22” craftsman and It fucking took forever to my whole 3/4 of an acre lot. Have a riding mower now with a 38” width and it still takes a while but I have to admit is kinda fun to do. Best part is all this shit I got free.
After doing some shitty yard cleanup at the opposite end of the yard the wife insisted we get a cart. Picked this up at hone depot. Also realized I can hitch this to the mower for the ultimate in lazy.

View attachment 96110

I got the smaller plastic gorilla cart and like it a lot. Have used it to move dirt around the yard and to take my yard waste bags out to the curb each week. The guy across the street has the same one as you and it was kind of funny watching him use it to move loose mulch around. Seems like a lot of the smaller pieces would fall out of the mesh.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
My dad is buddies with a guy who is a golf course greens master and I’m always tempted to ask him what they do with their old equipment.

Interesting. I always thought those were used primarily for spreading peat after you seed.

I got the smaller plastic gorilla cart and like it a lot. Have used it to move dirt around the yard and to take my yard waste bags out to the curb each week. The guy across the street has the same one as you and it was kind of funny watching him use it to move loose mulch around. Seems like a lot of the smaller pieces would fall out of the mesh.

we have a small ancient radio flyer wheelbarrow thing that was at the house we have been using for loose stuff but I figured I’d just line the cart with a plastic tarp if there is a need to move lots of loose stuff. Plus the ability to make it a flatbed is kind of nice easy to stack bags dirt or mulch on it and take them off.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
We got this one last year from Menards.

Can be pulled by tractor (or whatever else), 1,100 pound capacity and has a dump bed. We used it for the landscape bricks (to build the retaining wall) and then top soil and then sand to get it from the trailer to the backyard when we were leveling off the back yard for the pool last year. Kids (especially my son), loved it because he could pull it up, turn around, back it up to my wife and his sister, dump, and come back for me to refill.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

They take it to auction and it goes for nothing. Golf course stuff is a tough sell unless you put it in front of the right eyeballs.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Had 5 yards of pulverized dirt delivered today. I thought I’d have this done today working by myself :rofl:. Got the rest of my side yard clear of all the ground ivy and weird shrubby trees last night.

4A9E5FEA-7D17-4EF8-B296-362517E5915F.jpeg

dirt!

0673C350-A592-4600-BCAE-42A6638F83BD.jpeg

Transferring piles over.
4F305CCC-0CFA-458C-B46C-34E548636BA6.jpeg

First round of leveling and rolling. Long ways to go.

FBD433EE-EEB0-4F11-8E66-13714E66A9A4.jpeg

2446DAD1-447E-483E-9043-4E1159752E4E.jpeg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Well this whole project was a real motherfucker. Moved 5 cubic yards of dirt in my 4 cubic foot gorilla cart except for one area where they dumped it and I could just rake it out. I snapped the two piece handle on my Landzie lawn level rake so I would not recommend that one anymore. Went from 850 square feet of grass behind my patio to 1500. Put down Seed super store SS6000 shade mix at 4 pounds per 1000, Yard Mastery 12-12-12 starter fertilizer at 3 pounds per 1000 and dusted the whole back yard with 3 2.2 cubic foot cubes of peat moss. Now we wait.

61E26573-1739-4302-A629-9839CF0FF058.jpeg

108557EF-D685-4795-B325-91BFA148D62A.jpeg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So our pool was installed Thursday. A small bobcat has torn up my front yard a little, but my back yard is completely destroyed. Between the bobcat having to dig out the hole where it needed to be, then yesterday the electricians digging the trench for the electrical... All I can do is cry.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
With damage like that I wonder who you call. My back yard just had sink holes and spade edged planter beds that needed to be filled. Top dressing and leveling tire tracks would be a whole other thing. I’d like to have my whole front yard re graded, but not enough to spend the money. I have a weird wave in the middle that’s beyond filling and leveling off by hand.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
So our pool was installed Thursday. A small bobcat has torn up my front yard a little, but my back yard is completely destroyed. Between the bobcat having to dig out the hole where it needed to be, then yesterday the electricians digging the trench for the electrical... All I can do is cry.

Same thing happened to our backyard when our patio went in. Small bobcat dug tracks a foot deep in the backyard and alongside the house. Repairing that and seeding was part of the quote, but we went the extra mile and had them sod. It took a lot of work to keep the sod alive, but it looks pretty decent this year. The other parts of the lawn that were trampled by equipment and machinery, but not bad enough to sod, haven't recovered very well.

• Sad
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Honda HRX 21” and a 3/4 acre back yard. Takes me a ridiculous amount of time to mow, and it’s too lumpy for the rider (not a floating deck).

Lots of trees. The lawn is slowly turning to dirt/sand/clover instead of grass.

What do you all recommend to wipe out the clover but still allow me to overseed and get it to germinate later in the season?

Also, anyone using a decent (free) plant identification app? Been using google lens after I accidentally pulled one of the hydrangeas my wife planted thinking it was a weed. It’s not great at identifying.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Honda HRX 21” and a 3/4 acre back yard. Takes me a ridiculous amount of time to mow, and it’s too lumpy for the rider (not a floating deck).

Lots of trees. The lawn is slowly turning to dirt/sand/clover instead of grass.

What do you all recommend to wipe out the clover but still allow me to overseed and get it to germinate later in the season?

Also, anyone using a decent (free) plant identification app? Been using google lens after I accidentally pulled one of the hydrangeas my wife planted thinking it was a weed. It’s not great at identifying.

Most herbicides allow you to reseed one to two weeks later, just have to check the label. Over the counter weed b gon type stuff should work for clover. I use PictureThis to identify weeds. It constantly asks me to pay but you can click through and keep using the free version. I recently found out what I thought was a wildflower was actually black nightshade that produces poisonous berries so I’m glad I pulled that one before the neighbors dogs got to it.

Reactions: torquelover

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Last year when I seeded my side yard I probably used way more water than I needed to. I’d text my wife if I wasn’t home to turn on the faucet to a preset level and then shut it off 15-30 minutes later. Ordered myself this Amazon China special faucet timer. The Gilmour and one of the Melnors they had in stock only went down to every 6 hours and I needed more frequent. Working pretty well now, just have to crack open the faucet in the morning, and shut it at night so it doesn’t water for 15 minutes every 3 hours all night. One less thing to worry about.

76081CBC-01AF-47FE-9293-1C33E04864FE.jpeg

E66ADB36-3A6E-43BE-A647-CA76A2EE5006.jpeg

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Last year when I seeded my side yard I probably used way more water than I needed to. I’d text my wife if I wasn’t home to turn on the faucet to a preset level and then shut it off 15-30 minutes later. Ordered myself this Amazon China special faucet timer. The Gilmour and one of the Melnors they had in stock only went down to every 6 hours and I needed more frequent. Working pretty well now, just have to crack open the faucet in the morning, and shut it at night so it doesn’t water for 15 minutes every 3 hours all night. One less thing to worry about.

View attachment 97376

View attachment 97377

That’s nice. I have a Nelson one but it can only get down to every six hours. Not good when you’re trying to keep new seed moist throughout the day.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
That’s nice. I have a Nelson one but it can only get down to every six hours. Not good when you’re trying to keep new seed moist throughout the day.

yep. That was the third one that only went down to 6 hours. I’m running it 16 minutes every 3. I wanted something a little more brand name for reliability but none of them went below 6 hours. Melnor makes one, but Amazon didn’t have it in stock and shipping from dripdepot.com takes longer than I wanted to wait. If I needed something like this more often I would have got the Bhyve Bluetooth/WiFi on to control from my phone.

Reactions: torquelover

Thread Info