🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I saw one of those on CL recently, I couldn't get over the price.

Is it the personal pace setup? I thought that was pretty well sorted out after they lifted it from Lawn Boy (whom they purchased).

It is and I really enjoy that and so does my wife when she goes once a year. Which was a justification for downsizing. Rolls Eyes

• Sad
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
That is unfortunate. I can probably do my yard two times plus on a tank of gas on the super recycler with the Honda GCV160. I top it off every time to prevent moisture in the fuel even though I use a fuel treatment. I like the personal pace setup quite a bit. It’s nice not having to engage and disengage the self propelled feature while turning.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, I guess I am a little surprised. I've been looking at bigger walk behinds in that 30" - 36" range to help speed up the process. The yard itself is large enough for the tractor (42" deck), but not really well designed in terms of layout for the tractor (if you follow me), which is why I have it at the other house for the field. The other fear I have is that quality of cut, not because of the blade sharpness or anything, but because of the contouring of the land, which goes down the bigger the deck as it can't conform. The yard at that house has sort of an arc at the top, but then a slight valley as you get down to the sidewalk.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
That is unfortunate. I can probably do my yard two times plus on a tank of gas on the super recycler with the Honda GCV160. I top it off every time to prevent moisture in the fuel even though I use a fuel treatment. I like the personal pace setup quite a bit. It’s nice not having to engage and disengage the self propelled feature while turning.

Same here with my Honda mower, but my only complaint is small 21” decks. A 24” - 26” deck would be ideal for the residential home owner

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

I had a Husqvarna awd dumped in my lap that was broken. Standard 20 something inch model. Fixed it and mowed my yard a few times and filled it once. LOL

Reactions: DanJ

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Same here with my Honda mower, but my only complaint is small 21” decks. A 24” - 26” deck would be ideal for the residential home owner

Unfortunately the upper 20s into 30 is slim pickings. 36" gets you into commercial models which are a bit too big and expensive. I had a 48" JD Commercial Walk Behind and I should have probably tried harder to find a 36" and dealt with it being a bit too big still.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yea, I guess I am a little surprised. I've been looking at bigger walk behinds in that 30" - 36" range to help speed up the process. The yard itself is large enough for the tractor (42" deck), but not really well designed in terms of layout for the tractor (if you follow me), which is why I have it at the other house for the field. The other fear I have is that quality of cut, not because of the blade sharpness or anything, but because of the contouring of the land, which goes down the bigger the deck as it can't conform. The yard at that house has sort of an arc at the top, but then a slight valley as you get down to the sidewalk.

I hear ya on the contours. I used shave a few areas real bad and was hoping this would get better. It is but I still bottom out in a few spots. A full floating deck is the best way to solve this along with fixing the yard wherever possible.

My cousin designed all his landscaping around his ride on tractor. Its amazing.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

I too would like something in the 24-28 range but with a 21 I guess I can just make a couple more passes.

Unfortunately the upper 20s into 30 is slim pickings. 36" gets you into commercial models which are a bit too big and expensive. I had a 48" JD Commercial Walk Behind and I should have probably tried harder to find a 36" and dealt with it being a bit too big still.

They do make 30” commercial mowers but I haven’t seen many on Craigslist. I think they make 22” commercial mowers also, but anytime I see these professional outfits mowing the 1/4 acre lots in my neighborhood they’re on 40”+ mowers with a string trimmer guy cleaning up spots they can’t fit.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I too would like something in the 24-28 range but with a 21 I guess I can just make a couple more passes.

They do make 30” commercial mowers but I haven’t seen many on Craigslist. I think they make 22” commercial mowers also, but anytime I see these professional outfits mowing the 1/4 acre lots in my neighborhood they’re on 40”+ mowers with a string trimmer guy cleaning up spots they can’t fit.

watch the auctions that Outlaw Outlaw looks at and shit like that

weird mowers can go cheap.

my buddy got 3 golf course reel mowers from some wisco muncipality that way then flipped two of em on craigslist for big money

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005

Craftsman residential mower are 22”, which I felt mine was still too narrow.

30” is a tank to fit in our undersized garages

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Im using both. My neighbor is a lawn nerd also and has a roller I’m going to borrow. You use a roller to compact the material down then run the level lawn over it to find high and low spots again.

I'm talking more along the lines of this. I watched a video of a few people using this over the rake and it seemed to work really well and fast.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I was looking at getting a large stand behind for my place. I mowed the lawn the first time with a 22” craftsman and It fucking took forever to my whole 3/4 of an acre lot. Have a riding mower now with a 38” width and it still takes a while but I have to admit is kinda fun to do. Best part is all this shit I got free.
After doing some shitty yard cleanup at the opposite end of the yard the wife insisted we get a cart. Picked this up at hone depot. Also realized I can hitch this to the mower for the ultimate in lazy.

image.jpg

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I've also been intrigued about older Lawn Boy 2-stroke lately, just to try it. I know they have quite a following.

I used to use one at my Grandma's house to cut around the tight spaces before breaking out the tractor. They're pretty sweet. This one is from the 60s or 70s and had a fresh 2-stroke motor thrown on it in the late 90s. Runs like a top.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I've also been intrigued about older Lawn Boy 2-stroke lately, just to try it. I know they have quite a following.

Highly recommend. Depending on the model they command HUGE money. I cut the culverts and smaller areas of my lawn with a Lawn Boy 21" mower from the early 80's and it's good as new.

As far as huge money goes, I recently sold a model 2261, which is a commercial self-propelled machine for $950 on Craigslist, about what it cost new in 2001. These were the last of the 2-stroke LB's before emissions standards shut them down.

Top image is my everyday mower. Bottom with the large fuel tank is the 2261 commercial.

98270916_10158784023619589_5029881215897829376_n.jpg

174597192_10159629625954589_4098364248620644301_n.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
And just a general observation in reply to Yaj Yak Yaj Yak 's mention.

Scag, Exmark, Toro, etc all make a 30" commercial walk behind, but they are very expensive as you'd imagine. Unfortunately, they do not go cheap at auction or I would own one for my personal use. They are machines that are typically purchased new and held onto until ran into the ground by companies because they don't see much use. Same reason why 36" walk behinds are very expensive. Guys keep one on their trailer, only use it for a handful of accounts a week, use their 48's the majority of the time and thus just keep them around.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
And just a general observation in reply to Yaj Yak Yaj Yak 's mention.

Scag, Exmark, Toro, etc all make a 30" commercial walk behind, but they are very expensive as you'd imagine. Unfortunately, they do not go cheap at auction or I would own one for my personal use. They are machines that are typically purchased new and held onto until ran into the ground by companies because they don't see much use. Same reason why 36" walk behinds are very expensive. Guys keep one on their trailer, only use it for a handful of accounts a week, use their 48's the majority of the time and thus just keep them around.

Yep, same with most toro timemasters.

Thread Info