🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Since I’ve been off with the baby I’ve been working on clearing out the weird planter beds in my back yard. I think I’m up to 12 yard waste bags of ground ivy and pachysandras. Later this month I’m getting 5 yards of pulverized topsoil to level those beds out with my neighbors roller and my level lawn rake. I know 5 yards is a lot of dirt but I have plenty of low spots in the side and front if I have extra. Need to get this spruce cut down and will be running the smaller tree on the left through the chipper at the same time.

View attachment 95968

View attachment 95969

this backyard gets about 4-5 hours of filtered light in the morning and then shade all afternoon. All last year I cut it at 3-3.5” and dealt with fungus and it laying down all the time. Have been mowing it at 2.25” but dropped it to 1.75” today and it looks even better. Want to get it nice and level so i can keep it at 1.25” possibly. Getting into reel mowing is tempting but I don’t feel like having to deal with sand leveling yet.

View attachment 95971

View attachment 95970

do all this shit while you can because once that pooop factory is mobile, and you're back to work. LOOK THE FUCK OUT

Reactions: Blood on Blood

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You guys have it easy. When they are young at least you get nap time to do stuff. My daughter is turning 5 and stopped napping about 18 months ago. My son is in all types of sports so time is at a premium.

I’ve considered a lawn service, but they don’t do as good of a job and I enjoy mowing for the exercise and stress relief.

Reactions: blue-sun

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Just start training them as soon as they're able to walk. :D

Had the boy out there as soon as his legs could reach the brake.

WP_20160618_001.jpg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
You guys have it easy. When they are young at least you get nap time to do stuff. My daughter is turning 5 and stopped napping about 18 months ago. My son is in all types of sports so time is at a premium.

I’ve considered a lawn service, but they don’t do as good of a job and I enjoy mowing for the exercise and stress relief.

My 11 yr old twin girls have a job, dog crap clean up before I cut the grass. They wanted the dog, the condition was that they clean up the yard. It's like pulling teeth to get them to do it, but it gets done.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Anyone here ever top level your lawn with sand and/or dirt + seed? I've been doing some youtubing about this. Basically will fill in any uneven areas and then seed and bare spots as well. You should end up with a nice level yard and a thick grass grow? Just looking at more info from anyone who has done this in the past. I may do this to my back yard.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
FIrst dog we had, I wanted. That was pre-kids. I cleaned up after and took care of the dog I would say 98% of the time over his life.

I didn't want another dog knowing they'd expect that same 98% level of work out of me. I was overruleld by the 3 of them and I don't let them live it down. I tried warning and pleading my case, now they get to hear me complaining about it. LOL

I still end up doing 95% of the work for this dog, but I'm a real softie for dogs. And she (the dog) love me the most in the house anyways! :love::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Aircal

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Anyone here ever top level your lawn with sand and/or dirt + seed? I've been doing some youtubing about this. Basically will fill in any uneven areas and then seed and bare spots as well. You should end up with a nice level yard and a thick grass grow? Just looking at more info from anyone who has done this in the past. I may do this to my back yard.

hmm I’m also curious on this as well. The lawn in the back is a giant trip hazard of dips and bumps.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

I’m doing my small backyard with soil later this month. Primarily because I have to fill in old spade edging but I’m going to smooth out the whole thing while I’m at it. From what I read once you do sand you have to stick with sand. I have a local source for mason sand but I’m not ready to commit to sand from here on out.

I bought this lawn level rake

this is another option.

I’ve also seen that you can use a push broom for top dressing, but I’m not sure how that will get the lawn flat.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove

I’m doing my small backyard with soil later this month. Primarily because I have to fill in old spade edging but I’m going to smooth out the whole thing while I’m at it. From what I read once you do sand you have to stick with sand. I have a local source for mason sand but I’m not ready to commit to sand from here on out.

this is another option.

I’ve also seen that you can use a push broom for top dressing, but I’m not sure how that will get the lawn flat.

Have you seen the push roller you can use also?? I think that would be easier vs using the rake. A bit more money but I feel it's worth it.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.

this is another option.

Interesting. I’d use sand since most all the soil by me is sandy anyhow.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Have you seen the push roller you can use also?? I think that would be easier vs using the rake. A bit more money but I feel it's worth it.

Im using both. My neighbor is a lawn nerd also and has a roller I’m going to borrow. You use a roller to compact the material down then run the level lawn over it to find high and low spots again.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
What don’t you like about it? I hear it’s not the best for mulching. I almost got one for my 1/4 acre lot for the wide stripes but stopped because it’s ridiculous :rofl:.

Underpowered, if it is at all wet it bogs down unless you go to side discharge.

Gas tank is too small. I have a third of an acre and I can't do my whole lawn on a single tank. Keep in mind that's a third of an acre with lots of landscaping two garages and a ranch house with a big driveway.

My neighbor informed me after I bought it that red toro self propelled has more issued that fwd self propelled. We will see.....

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I saw one of those on CL recently, I couldn't get over the price.

Is it the personal pace setup? I thought that was pretty well sorted out after they lifted it from Lawn Boy (whom they purchased).

I couldn’t self-justify the price for a Time Master and went with the Honda HRX for $625.

Only other quality option was a Toro Super Recycler but big box stores were sold out and independent dealers wants ridiculous money.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Underpowered, if it is at all wet it ohs down unless you go to side discharge.

Gas tank is too small. I have a third of an acre and I can't do my whole lawn on a single tank. Keep in mind that's a third of an acre with lots of landscaping two garages and a ranch house with a big driveway.

My neighbor informed me after I bought it that red toro self propelled has more issued that fwd self propelled. We will see.....

My dad bought a new regular Toro mower and I wasn't very impressed with it. It felt kinda chinsy compared to my Honda.

Thread Info