🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
some people swear by Milorganite. Ace hardware sells it, check there too. Its just Milwaukee sewage biosolids processed into fertilizer lol. I've always been a fan of Scotts 4 step, although not so much lately with 3 dogs. My backyard is currently in the worst shape ever, lots of bare dirt. I'm always joking with my wife about switching to partial artificial turf, keep inching closer to getting a quote :rofl:.

For dog owners, what is a good hearty grass I should plant?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Milorganite is just a slower releasing fertilizer with Iron that is not nearly as high in nitrogen as a regular fertilizer. You also don't have to wet it in like a regular nitrogen fertilizer and it won't cause crazy growth or burning of your grass if you apply too much.

If you really want to get into things get a soil sample analysed which will tell you what you are missing. Really also need to know your lots square footage so you are applying the right amounts. Lots of videos on the subject that really help. Spring for me is mostly the season of killing weeds etc.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
some people swear by Milorganite. Ace hardware sells it, check there too. Its just Milwaukee sewage biosolids processed into fertilizer lol. I've always been a fan of Scotts 4 step, although not so much lately with 3 dogs. My backyard is currently in the worst shape ever, lots of bare dirt. I'm always joking with my wife about switching to partial artificial turf, keep inching closer to getting a quote :rofl:.

For dog owners, what is a good hearty grass I should plant?

Ours in the back, which is the dogs bathroom grows at a rate that no fertilizer can equal. There are times I can't get the mower through it.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
FA6EA529-67E5-4E45-A04B-D3BD8986D27C.jpg

Tall fescue I planted last fall got beat up pretty bad by snow sitting on it for months. Going to be doing some spring seeding it looks like. The brown spots have some green poking through but it will still be thin.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
could be grubs, but I'd guess its snow mold damage. Pretty common this year from all the snow we had.

Ours in the back, which is the dogs bathroom grows at a rate that no fertilizer can equal. There are times I can't get the mower through it.

most of my damage is from them romping around on it, I watch them literally peel up my lawn chasing eachother around :hs:

• Sad
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
DanJ DanJ
Could that be grubs? I had a spot like that at my old house and peeled some sod back and it was loaded with grubs.

Twas the snow mold. Gray fuzzy stuff was on all those dead patches. I raked it out as soon as I could but it was too far gone. Will rough it up and throw some seed on it after this next round of cold nights next week passes.

Reactions: Stink Star

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Got out and mowed today and did some applications. Lawn still looks kind of wonky because only some patches were getting long and I didn’t want to scalp it too bad.

6EBA5A94-5FD1-412E-BB40-6CA28017C743.jpeg

I’m way too late based on a soil temp of 60 today but I got my prodiamine sprayed today about 5 minutes before it rained. I really didn’t have crabgrass up front last year so I don’t think it will hurt me too badly.

I’m loosely following the Allyn Hane Yard Mastery program this year. I’ve always scoffed at how much Yard Mastery’s products cost, but if you break it down to a per 1000 square feet price they really aren’t bad. I sprayed the Root Growth Stimulant which is basically a Humic acid and sea kelp mix that’s supposed to encourage rooting and nutrient uptake. Broken down it’s only 89 cents per 1000 feet to apply.

EC9024CC-BF63-44D4-ACB4-8964FC1DD099.jpeg

F63AADC8-DEDE-4C32-A831-7804A5539579.jpeg

put down 3lb per 1000 of their Flagship 24-0-6 with 3% iron and their version of milorganite nuggets they call “bio-nite”. It smells like Milo so it definitely checks out. The bag is $55 but since it has synthetic nitrogen in it you use less and the per 1000 price is only $3.67 whereas milorganite per 1000 is up to $6.79. Even before the price increase milorganite was $4 per 1000. I’m hoping I like the results. It’s cheaper, should have faster results from the 75% quick release synthetic nitrogen, and it has more micronutrients in it than milorganite. Time will tell. I can do my front and back yard with 12 pounds of product, which is silly in my new Echo 60# spreader. It does roll nice though.

8A446535-66CA-40EA-A4AC-E30BC44EEFA5.jpeg

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
all 5 years I’ve lived at this house my lawn is the last to green up. It is the best looking lawn from about may till the end of the year, but mine is always the last one to get going. This is from today. It’s all brown and patchy and there’s defined edges where my lawn ends and the neighbors starts. Should I just go nuts with the milo? my neighbors don’t even treat their lawn and theirs always looks greener this time of the year

FAE529CD-A62F-4967-994C-E1BBF3D7BD14.jpeg

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
the village resodded our parkways a few years ago, not sure what grass was used, but it doesn't green up or start growing until late May/early June. The weeds will still grow, and it looks pretty terrible because everything else its green and other parts my yard get mowed 3-4 times before this part wakes up. It also didn't take last years summer drought too well either, might give them a call and find out my options.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
the village resodded our parkways a few years ago, not sure what grass was used, but it doesn't green up or start growing until late May/early June. The weeds will still grow, and it looks pretty terrible because everything else its green and other parts my yard get mowed 3-4 times before this part wakes up. It also didn't take last years summer drought too well either, might give them a call and find out my options.

• Haha
Reactions: radioguy6

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I believe it's called Bermuda grass. The "field" between our house has this, although this season, it's come in much quicker than in the past (in the section out closer to the street where the car is passing). This is treated by Weiss that I shared the chemicals on earlier.

Anyway, this is the yard I mowed two weeks ago. This yard grows like a fire whether it was the weed farm it was two years ago, or actual grass. You can cut it, turn around and it's re-grown already...

20210408_083630.jpg

20210408_083734.jpg

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I believe it's called Bermuda grass. The "field" between our house has this, although this season, it's come in much quicker than in the past (in the section out closer to the street where the car is passing). This is treated by Weiss that I shared the chemicals on earlier.

Anyway, this is the yard I mowed two weeks ago. This yard grows like a fire whether it was the weed farm it was two years ago, or actual grass. You can cut it, turn around and it's re-grown already...

I think you are right, it doesn't grow very tall either. From what I read its a warm season grass, some strains can tolerate our winters but its more common in the south. Not sure why they put that down everything else is kentucky blue. I've been lurking on my FB neighborhood group and a few share similar complaints.

Thread Info