🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Lot of good points here. I think the problem most people have is that they scalp their lawn too low. I’m mowing at the second highest setting every 3 days or so. In spring it was every other. Times are kind of tough now because we aren’t getting a ton of rain and it’s been so hot. When things cool down in late summer and early fall would be the time to get your lawn rejuvenated. I have some problem areas and plan on dethatching, aerating and Overseeding this September. Just hung up on what I want to use for my shady part of the lawn because I don’t like the fine rescue that typically thrives in shade. They have some shade tolerant Kentucky blue grasses but even their survival rates are only 82% and the seed is expensive.

If you want to do it yourself I’d check out this YouTube channel. Videos are informative without going to deep and he typically uses product you can buy locally.

His lawn when he uses the reel mower in the front is INSANE. I wish I had his dedication to have my lawn look like that.

Reactions: Jon01 and DanJ

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Sup?!?
Id prefer seed. Seeded lawns, to me at least, seem to be healthier in the long run. Just gotta buy local/quality seed. I’d probably do a mix of blue grass and fescue. Would maybe even try full fescue in areas that get a ton of sun.

I went with a local place for my sod and also use their same seed for overseeding and it's been great.

Only thing I really have an issue is my one dog has like toxic piss and kills areas. Doesnt bother me enough to get rid of her, or train her to pee in the mulch, or to follow her with a cup of water to dilute when she pees, but is noticeable.

Really going to look into having an irrigation system put in if I plan on being there much longer. I want to start watering much more and moving around the sprinkler is a pain in the ass.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
My dogs tear up a portion of my backyard that I have to re-sod every spring. It's a muddy fucking mess each winter and early spring. I spend around $1500 a year in sod and it's worth every penny because it keeps the mud from getting in the house.

Lots of good recommendations here, the important things are fertilize 3-4 times a year the spring/fall are the most important. Aerate at least once a year unless you have heavy foot traffic. Bag your cuttings in the summer heat but mulch it the rest of the year.

Last thing I haven't seen posted. Don't cut your grass when it's wet. Keep your mower blade sharp, makes a big difference on the cut and keeps the plant healthier.

Reactions: Intel

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Reactions: Yaj Yak

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I went with a local place for my sod and also use their same seed for overseeding and it's been great.

Only thing I really have an issue is my one dog has like toxic piss and kills areas. Doesnt bother me enough to get rid of her, or train her to pee in the mulch, or to follow her with a cup of water to dilute when she pees, but is noticeable.

Really going to look into having an irrigation system put in if I plan on being there much longer. I want to start watering much more and moving around the sprinkler is a pain in the ass.

May have to look into them for seed. I’ve been shopping seedsuperstore.com and their prices are insane.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I know some people don’t like it because it doesn’t give instant results, but I really like milorganite. I plan on using a few rounds of synthetic fertilizer this fall but I’ve seen pretty great results from my Memorial Day and 4th of July milorganite applications. So far that’s all I’ve done besides some weed n feed in March and a few applications of liquid soil loosener. No watering at all so far.

D3A154BF-D3CF-4C05-8ABA-62D597264A81.jpeg

also these tiger lillies hadn’t bloomed in years according to my neighbors. They started blooming a bit from milorganite overspread so I dusted all the plants with it. They’re booming now.

9A45D2B9-73EB-492E-8BD5-B44493014680.jpeg

Reactions: Broke EF and Bru

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
What did you use for seed? I’m trying to find the happy medium between costco sun and shade and the seedsuperstore blend that’s $97 for 10 pounds. That central sod posted above looks good. I’m mostly trying to avoid any fine fescue as I don’t like how it looks.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
What did you use for seed? I’m trying to find the happy medium between costco sun and shade and the seedsuperstore blend that’s $97 for 10 pounds. That central sod posted above looks good. I’m mostly trying to avoid any fine fescue as I don’t like how it looks.

I can’t remember the seed type off the top of my head (wanna say tall fescue), but the brand is National Seed. I got it from a local landscaping supply company in Bolingbrook.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
The tall fescue on the shadiest side of our house is always doing great. It’s a little coarse looking for my liking but it really seems to do great with the lack of sun and rain where it’s at under a big maple. I’m tempted to do our backyard in it as well and keep the front KBG.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
My back yard used to flood like crazy:
1595590564740.png

Had the landscaper put drainage in front of the shed, and we also ran lines to the downspouts so all the water goes to the back of the yard:
1595590609482.png

Put down new sod from Central Farms:
1595590658365.png

After two weeks of watering like crazy (be prepared for some stupid high water bills for a few weeks if you resod):
1595590711815.png

I really need to have a landscaping company come out and re-define the beds and all that.... I'm the worst at keeping up with that stuff.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Man, I want a killer lawn like some of these pics. I have about an acre so it starts to get really expensive really quickly. I want to pick up a tow behind sprayer to try and get the weeds under control (I have a lot of clover). Then I want to at least airate this year. My neighbors have tow behind airators, so that saves me some money. I would like to overseed as well, but we will see what the budget looks like.

At my old place we had a service that made a big difference. Then they were bought by true green and it was shit. The guy who was mowing for us offered a service, and I remember it being reasonable for weed control and fert. I should check his pricing again, that may be worth doing for me.

At least I have the good mower now :D

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Here are mine. Weiss actually came out again today as I had found some creeping charlie and a couple undandylions coming back. One call, one free treatment...

That's who I use and I am generally happy with them, except they seem to not be really versed into correcting lawns other than weeds, fertilizing, aeration. I went down a rabbit hole this Spring and watched a lot of Ryan Knorr's videos (link was posted already) and he has a lot of great tips and tricks.

Thread Info