🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Anyone else looking forward to not having to cut their grass for the next few months? I generally don't mind it, but freeing up the 1-2 hours normally spent on the lawn and gardens every weekend will be nice.
For sure, I was just thinking that when I cut it saturday. When I'm push mowing the back yard it feels like it's never gonna end lol. 130' wide half acre lot with quite a slope in the back suuuucks

Reactions: LikeABauce302

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Quite a difference from the first few months of new sod to how the house looks now. I basically spent the first 5 months cutting and watering, no weed control or fertilizer. It took a while before I was able to successfully start treating it. I'm by no means an expert on it now, but at least enough to make the lawn look green and full. I do get frustrated when a new type of weed shows up. I'm not very good at identifying what it is or how to treat it. Though having a sprinkler system makes it much easier, and it is reclaimed water, so I think it is cheaper than regular water that comes into the house. When the lawn looks great, I actually enjoy cutting it. When it looks like it did in the first pic, I hated it.

Before & After.jpg

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Quite a difference from the first few months of new sod to how the house looks now. I basically spent the first 5 months cutting and watering, no weed control or fertilizer. It took a while before I was able to successfully start treating it. I'm by no means an expert on it now, but at least enough to make the lawn look green and full. I do get frustrated when a new type of weed shows up. I'm not very good at identifying what it is or how to treat it. Though having a sprinkler system makes it much easier, and it is reclaimed water, so I think it is cheaper than regular water that comes into the house. When the lawn looks great, I actually enjoy cutting it. When it looks like it did in the first pic, I hated it.

View attachment 188789
Looks awesome.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Last year I started some jalapeño and ghost peppers from seed and also a few seed starter trays of echinacea to have some perennials around the house. Well I like these powwow hybrid echinacea as they bloom the first year and are a much deeper fuschia, but they are kind of pricey to buy as plants. Going to be starting 50 of them down here next month. Have seeds in the fridge and all my trays ready to go. Had one harbor freight grow light last year that worked well, so I built this frame out of 1x3 and have 3 of them now. Can raise it up to the ceiling as the plants get bigger. 25 pink echinacea, 25 white, jalapeños, ghost peppers and growing some cayenne as well. Planting green beans also but those will be direct sow outside as they don’t take as long to get going as the peppers do.

IMG_5736.jpeg
IMG_5738.jpeg
IMG_5767.jpeg

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Last year I started some jalapeño and ghost peppers from seed and also a few seed starter trays of echinacea to have some perennials around the house. Well I like these powwow hybrid echinacea as they bloom the first year and are a much deeper fuschia, but they are kind of pricey to buy as plants. Going to be starting 50 of them down here next month. Have seeds in the fridge and all my trays ready to go. Had one harbor freight grow light last year that worked well, so I built this frame out of 1x3 and have 3 of them now. Can raise it up to the ceiling as the plants get bigger. 25 pink echinacea, 25 white, jalapeños, ghost peppers and growing some cayenne as well. Planting green beans also but those will be direct sow outside as they don’t take as long to get going as the peppers do.

View attachment 196796View attachment 196795View attachment 196798
“Peppers”

Growing Sesame Street GIF

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes. Last year was the first time I had them do the back yard (where our dog is) after ensuring from them that it was pet friendly. They will probably recommend not letting them out shortly after they come, which is fine. With ours, he wouldn't go out until later in the day when we all get home and they're usually here bright and early in the morning.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Weiss has already been to the house and given the first treatment. I may actually have too mow in some parts of the lawn shortly.
Same. They were my house today doing the aeration and recovery seeding.

Last year was my first year using them. Lawn was thicker and greener than in many years. This year I have to work on the bare areas in the shade

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Really? Now I feel special. 😀

I saw the guy on the ring camera. I just looked at the email and they did the fertilizer / weed treatment as well. So got all three at once.

I want to say Andy told me they typically do aeration once a year. Spring or fall. I asked them to do fall and spring this year since I hadn't done it in probably 15 years. I really want to give the lawn a good chance at even better results than last year.

Thread Info