šŸ” Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I did my final cut on Saturday as well. I'm going to fertilize one day this week. I need to get a nice winter mix to lay down.
I think next spring I'm going to roll my backyard to help get it less lumpy. Then I want to top dress with a sand seed mix to get a nice even lawn.
I'll need to keep the dog out of the yard for a few weeks once I do that.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'll be mowing in to December it seems. Our trees take forever to drop and those Ninja blades on the mowers chop up the mulch so fine it's soo much easier than doing it any other way.

I did buy a Crapsman leaf vacuum which actually I was surprised at how well it worked, but;

1) It's heavy and tough to push through the yard (and I have a big yard)
2) It's bag fills up after one pass down the length of the yard, which means you're emptying it every 3 minutes
3) That bag is big and cumbersome and is a two person job to empty in to a little lawn bag.

So yea, the mower simply is the quickest, easiest way.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
One of the negatives about FL, it's warm all year long. Though this is only my second year of having grass to mow. I think I went a month or so last winter without having to mow. I honestly don't mind mowing the lawn (when it isn't 90+). My grass is starting to look much better after that bullshit "grass safe" weed killer I used in the summer. Man, did that piss me off. I killed swaths of grass with it. And our grass doesn't grow from seeds, so you have to either re-sod or buy little pods and wait for them to spread their stolons.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Im gonna do a cut hopefully this week to get the leaves out along with bagging, but I just have a feeling Ill probably have to do it again with more leaves. Neighbor across the street spent almost an hour and a half doing just one side of his lawn with all the leaves, and today it looks like it did yesterday before he started.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I cut the grass yesterday, but it was mainly to mulch the leaves. The leaves are ~ 50% dropped, so I'm going to have to do it again towards the end of this month. My property is big enough that I don't have the time or the patience to attempt raking and collecting all of the leaves in bags. 2-3 passes with the riding mower pretty much disintegrates the leaves.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I'm on weekend 4 of leaf BS. probably 2 more weekends and it will be done. my backyard is around .5 acre and had 6 60+ft tall trees on it. the 3 cottonwoods are done.. just waiting on the maples to finish. luckily the city picks them up with a vacuum truck. I just have to move them to the edge of the street. last year I let them pile up before I moved them to the street.. big mistake. yard was completely covered in leaves from end to end and took forever to pile and drag them to the street.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I thought we were done with that initial cold snap/rain event...so we did a final mow and overseed. My wife insisted we do malorganite instead of fertilizer, so we tried it. Results are awesome. Will do it again in the spring...we normally have a bad crabgrass problem pop up around now, and there is ZERO in the yard. Looks better than it ever has.

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
I always wanted to buy a vacuum truck,open own business.This time of year is gold,not like snow plowing.Vacuum leaves,whole yards.Leaves are guaranteed to fall,no mulching...bags etc..++++your back feels better..
snowplowing is not guaranteed. Spring /Fall cleanup is.

Summer..vacuum dog poop etc..i think it would be a fairly quick payoff??
been 'drinkin,just a stupid thought

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'm in an unincorporated part of town, so I have to choose my own trash removal. The company I have does free yard waste removal, including leaves, but I have to bag them. I try to mulch as much as I can. Supposedly it's good for the soil.

My garden beds are a pain. I just blow out as much as I can with the leaf blower. Whatever I can't get seams to just break down into mulch in the spring. My flowers all sprouted and bloomed like crazy in the spring, so it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I always wanted to buy a vacuum truck,open own business.This time of year is gold,not like snow plowing.Vacuum leaves,whole yards.Leaves are guaranteed to fall,no mulching...bags etc..++++your back feels better..
snowplowing is not guaranteed. Spring /Fall cleanup is.

Summer..vacuum dog poop etc..i think it would be a fairly quick payoff??
been 'drinkin,just a stupid thought

There is a dog poop co that has been around in our area for years. Must do well to still be in business.

Add in leaves removal, yard clean up and you are set while enjoying time back during end of November through end of February.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
Last year I mowed so many leaves into the lawn that it caused a bit of a thatch issue in the spring in and early summer until the grass could really break through. I should have aerated it but donā€™t have one and skipped it - will try to get that done this spring.

This year itā€™s trying to continually stay on top of the leaves over the past few weeks. I left one row of leaves on the lawn for two days and the moles had a field day underneath them. Wonā€™t be doing that again.

One good thing is I have some pretty good wooded ravines on the edge of my property that I can blow all the leaves in to. It would be impossible to bag them all.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
What would you do with the leaves after you vacuum them up? That's where the make or break part of your plan lays.
Point #3 I made above. It was a bitch (a two person job) to empty the huge bag from the machine in to the little Kraft paper bag.

I really wish they're redesign the Kraft paper yard waste bag to fit the most common lawn mower baggers. All Mowers I have had, my Snapper's, my Arien's, Craftsman's, etc are all larger and create a colossal mess. Even with the lawn chute gizmo's (which this design sucks ass too). There used to be a brillant designed bag holder called a "Bag-pak". It was yellow, a completely connected gizmo that folded when not in use, and other than the handles, fit the height of the bag perfectly. Unfortunately, they no longer make them and mine broke years ago, resulting in me getting that shitty lawn chute one currently available.

Reactions: Aircal

Thread Info