🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Don’t necessarily have to aerate to seed. Just get a garden weasel or even a stiff rake and rough up the soil, put seed down, and go over it lightly again to get some seed to soil contact. Covering with some peat moss or similar will help keep it moist and the birds from eating it all.

View attachment 132168
Thats what I was using. It took me a few minutes to get the small area done. Then again I was trying my damndest since the area really has lots of weeds and crabgrass there instead of grass and it was legit trying to pull it up.

Only called it an aerator since thats what the label on the little cardboard piece hooked to it says. I did leave it attached just in case I didnt want to keep it. :rofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I find the tines on the garden weasel (well mine anyway) clogs up too much if the soil is damp. So you will want to do it with the ground is a little more dry.
Good to know. Never used one and part of me thought maybe the damp soil would have been better so I just went at it after spraying the weed and crabgrass killer.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You can do it in spring. Just have to get them down early and be religious about the watering if it’s hot. You have an edger or did you have to really dig at it with a string trimmer?
I have an edger attachment for my Ryobi expand it head. Way easier than just the string trimmer. Although I should use the string trimmer for my driveway since it’s asphalt and not concrete.

Reactions: DanJ

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
No way would I be able to get away with using a corded anything for my yard. ??

Which sucks cause I would just do the sunjoe dethatcher and it was on sale for $88 or something stupid last week.

It is nice for sure. I seem to always edge when the soil isn’t dry so it gets jammed up and I have to walk around with a screw driver to clear the dirt out though.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Have zero issues with my Echo straight shaft trimmer in terms of edging. It does better than my actual edger did. No special attachments or anything .095 line and some fancy spiral core string from Home Depot and it knifes through anything. That string also allows quicker work for normal trimming vs. the stock Echo Cross-fire line.

Smb7eQp.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Did another application of lawn bug killer today. Was wondering how I was going to get it all watered in order to dissolve it for soil penetration, so it would start to work. The neighbor's lawns are already starting to get torn up by skunks looking for grubs.

Thanks Mother Nature! (sorry for farting outside and contributing to greenhouse gases)

1664075608665.png

Reactions: Fish

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Did another application of lawn bug killer today. Was wondering how I was going to get it all watered in order to dissolve it for soil penetration, so it would start to work. The neighbor's lawns are already starting to get torn up by skunks looking for grubs.

Thanks Mother Nature! (sorry for farting outside and contributing to greenhouse gases)

View attachment 133241
Luckily I think the skunks are only digging in my mulch that we eventually want to replace anyway. Don’t see anything in the grass but I do see an asshole skunk nightly on my doorbell cam and he was in my yard one night when I took out the garbage.

I honestly should just take a day off soon and work exclusively in the yard.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I have small areas that are dug up (dots?) in our cypress mulch, but that's just the squirrels hiding their food for winter. Most of which I've given them :LOL:
I’m opposite. After catching one of the assholes in the house last year, I’m trying my best to keep them away. Bout to buy a pellet gun if they don’t start taking the hint.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I’m opposite. After catching one of the assholes in the house last year, I’m trying my best to keep them away. Bout to buy a pellet gun if they don’t start taking the hint.
You're not supposed to let them in to your house. j/k

My house is pretty well sealed up. I used to get raccoons on the roof but after removing the tree they were using (a small young tree that never should have been planted 2' from the house) the problem went away. Also, they really don't like getting wet. Hit them with a hose a few times and they'll stop coming around.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You're not supposed to let them in to your house. j/k

My house is pretty well sealed up. I used to get raccoons on the roof but after removing the tree they were using (a small young tree that never should have been planted 2' from the house) the problem went away. Also, they really don't like getting wet. Hit them with a hose a few times and they'll stop coming around.
Ohh I’ll get them wet alright.

1664149813276.gif

Reactions: Blood on Blood

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Picked up one of these yesterday too. Way too much of a PITA getting leaves into yard waste bags Trying to stuff them manually

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I do my own weekly mowing but always paid a landscaper to do fall cleanup. A few hundred was worth it to me for them to make the leaves gone. Just had to make sure they didn't just blow them into the river. :rofl:

I had some sorta tree that left tons of "apples" that I was told were walnuts. The tree makes a huge mess. Filled up like half a garbage bin per week sometimes. I can understand your frustration.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Picked up one of these yesterday too. Way too much of a PITA getting leaves into yard waste bags Trying to stuff them manually

Those are a must. I consider myself fairly intelligent, but had to watch a YouTube video to figure out how to fold that thing the first time I used it. Something about it is very counter intuitive to me.

Thread Info