🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Haven’t cut mine in almost 2 weeks and was keeping the mower at a 5. Seems to be holding well and not looking too shaggy.
572ECC9E-3E63-4C26-A690-D8F6A0CE230E.jpeg

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
View attachment 124271

Still green here but definitely dry and not growing much. Helps that I have lots of giant trees shading everything. Tomorrow will be a 5” cut as well to keep the few tall spots in check.

Just noticed in this picture you can really tell where the dogs trolley is in the yard. All the lawn under it is a deeper green color.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
My front yard is cooked where it doesn’t have shade. Mowing long and leaving it alone until the temps come down. I like having a nice yard but I’m not paying the water bill to fight Mother Nature all summer. Focusing my efforts on the smaller back yard since that’s where the kid plays because it’s shaded most of the day. I got 2 of these things on clearance at Menards for $20 a piece.

8794709C-6151-44B2-ABC4-87AB01167B85.jpeg

Impact sprinkler you bury in the yard and adjust. Then when you want to water you just open the lid and click a hose in and it pops up and does it’s thing. It’s a little gimmicky but it’s nice not having to place and then adjust a sprinkler whenever you want to water. 2 of them cover my little 2500 square foot back yard. I’m mowing my back yard at 2.25” as that’s where it seems happiest with all the shade. Any longer and it starts growing horizontally. It’s a mix of shitty grass types and the fact that it gets no sun after noon.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My front yard is cooked where it doesn’t have shade. Mowing long and leaving it alone until the temps come down. I like having a nice yard but I’m not paying the water bill to fight Mother Nature all summer. Focusing my efforts on the smaller back yard since that’s where the kid plays because it’s shaded most of the day. I got 2 of these things on clearance at Menards for $20 a piece.

View attachment 124468

Impact sprinkler you bury in the yard and adjust. Then when you want to water you just open the lid and click a hose in and it pops up and does it’s thing. It’s a little gimmicky but it’s nice not having to place and then adjust a sprinkler whenever you want to water. 2 of them cover my little 2500 square foot back yard. I’m mowing my back yard at 2.25” as that’s where it seems happiest with all the shade. Any longer and it starts growing horizontally. It’s a mix of shitty grass types and the fact that it gets no sun after noon.

im more okay with the water bill than paying to have my yard fixed since i don't have much time to fix it... shiiiiiit

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
God damn gnats yesterday. I mowed the majority of my lawn and was getting swarmed by these little assholes the entire time. I just wanted my 1.5 hours of peace damn it!!

And I also am noticing my lawn is rough AF. Might look into leveling it slowly. Seen videos about how to do it and it "looks easy" but will take time for sure.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
God damn gnats yesterday. I mowed the majority of my lawn and was getting swarmed by these little assholes the entire time. I just wanted my 1.5 hours of peace damn it!!

And I also am noticing my lawn is rough AF. Might look into leveling it slowly. Seen videos about how to do it and it "looks easy" but will take time for sure.

I'll just pay someone at this point!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I spread 5 yards of top soil last year. It’s a bitch. Doing it by bag would probably be worse and cost more unless you’re just trying to fill in a few holes. The spreading isn’t bad, it’s just moving all that material around your yard.

View attachment 126416

View attachment 126417

View attachment 126418
For sure. I would not do my entire yard at one time. Hell, probably not even in quarters. Most likely more in sections and those would be based on use and looks. :rofl: Side and back yard first, then front street facing sections, then the rest.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Fucking Briggs autochoke. This will be the third time it's acted up. Mower was running like shit of course, even once warmed up, it still wasn't running at 100%. SO playing with it, I found not only was the autochoke mechanism binding, I found the choke plate itself was broken loose and I could completely pull it out of the carb...

So, I ordered a whole new carb, choke spring (Briggs calls it an "Air-Vane" spring), $25 for this high quality chinesium parts, so that is next weekend's fun.

Thread Info