🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Probably not but it doesn't hurt to try. Their number 630-313-4626. I have had them for several years at that house and when I asked if they service Elgin, they said no. Awhile later, I pull out of our Elgin house, drive around the corner in our subdivision, and see a "Weiss" sign in a lawn. So I called them up asking "WTF??" And they agreed to do it. Not sure if they're still of the same mindset now though.
Weiss customer here. I'm generally happy with them, but they're nothing special. I feel like they really just use a standard approach and don't know what to do when you have issues. The same response that I've received is "aerate and overseed" when I question why my backyard isn't perking up.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Bub Fields is on its second cut already. I skipped the dethatch. Plugs from aerate seemed fine. This year I did farm out weed and fertilizer. $140 an application.

PXL_20220426_230604845.jpg

PXL_20220426_225455308.jpg

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Weiss customer here. I'm generally happy with them, but they're nothing special. I feel like they really just use a standard approach and don't know what to do when you have issues. The same response that I've received is "aerate and overseed" when I question why my backyard isn't perking up.
I've had Trugreen/Chemlawn and another I am forgetting before and it didn't do poop for the yard. Matter of fact, I think I had MORE weeds after they came out. :D.

I called these guys (weiss) and this is the result. Again. this yard had every weed imaginable, from front to back, in it. Undandelions, clover, some other broad leaf creeping stuff, creeping charlie, parts of the yard were dead.

Now, I can't keep up with it, it greens up quickly and grows (as I mentioned, this is the 5th mow this season...), and can sustain it's green, plushness, and growth even in August when it's being scorched. Other than up right at the house (where they really don't get), there isn't a weed found.

Reactions: willsmysticcobra

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
2007 Toro 22" Self Propelled mower. Last summer it took lots of work to get it started weekly. I'd have to spray some small engine tune up into the spark plug and let it sit for 10-15 mins before trying to start it. Each time, it would start up really rough after that. Rinse and repeat every week.

Bought all the stuff to do a proper tune up, fresh oil and plug and filter. Still won't start.

I called around to small engine repair place, he suggested it's not worth the $, that lawnmowers last 10-12 years so save the $ and buy a new one.

I looked at home depot and Menards. It would be nice to not have to buy gas for a lawn mower, I have 3 DeWalt drills with 20v batteries. I saw some DeWallt mowers that claimed to use the same 20v batteries.

Anyone have experience with them or recommendations on which one to buy?

We're on roughly 1/4 acre.

Was looking at these 2:

@blue-sun

20V System, it will all work. Biggest concern will be the amp hour of the battery. A 2.0Ah battery will not get you very far on mowing your lawn. At my old place which was 1/3 acre it would use 2 - 9.0Ah batteries to get 2/3 of the way through and I would finish up with 5.0Ah’s with juice left to spare. If you don’t have a bunch of batteries or don’t want to invest in more it may not make sense to get into a DEWALT mower.

I would need to know how many batteries you have and what amp hour they are.

I really don't want to get another gas mower. You're not helping steer me towards going with a DeWalt.

There are other cordless options out there. You want me to shoot rainbows and lollipops up your ass or do you want an honest opinion?
A little late to the party but I bought greasy’s dewalt mower. I read all the feedback so I ended up buying two more batterie and a charger on eBay. Perfect for cutting my 1/3 acre. It cuts beautiful. It isn’t self propelled and almost died the first cut. Now, it’s a great workout for my old balls. I stretch before I mow.
2A1B58E2-470E-46F9-AF3A-79A4415A95B3.jpeg

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Got the first round of Scott’s 4 step down today. Trying to do less as I was fertilizing small doses monthly with yard mastery last year and didn’t really see the results compared to when I was just shooting from the hip spraying and praying the year before with random shit.

View attachment 118479

Ryan Knor, Yard Mastery, etc. are looking to sell products and get YT views.

Keep it simple, affordable and fun is the way to go.

Reactions: PJx5x and DanJ

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Got the mower dialed in and freshened up for the season. Doing the plug yearly is a waste but they sell a $19 tune up kit with the oil change, air filter and plug that costs less than just buying the filter and oil so I do the whole thing. Got an oil extractor primarily for the car, but not having to haphazardly tip the mower on its side and spill oil all over the deck was nice. Tipped the mower over with the wheels on 2x4’s and it sucked it dry. Took the whole 12oz oil fill. Also realized I put my plug back in finger tight after cycling a bit of oil in the cylinder at the end of the season last year, and have mowed with it like that twice :rofl:.

F7609683-5167-48F8-B575-A851F1BCDFF1.jpeg

04C95A10-30BB-427E-B4BA-C0A2362A45D3.jpeg

Milhouse

Addict
Jan 5, 2017
Got the mower dialed in and freshened up for the season. Doing the plug yearly is a waste but they sell a $19 tune up kit with the oil change, air filter and plug that costs less than just buying the filter and oil so I do the whole thing. Got an oil extractor primarily for the car, but not having to haphazardly tip the mower on its side and spill oil all over the deck was nice. Tipped the mower over with the wheels on 2x4’s and it sucked it dry. Took the whole 12oz oil fill. Also realized I put my plug back in finger tight after cycling a bit of oil in the cylinder at the end of the season last year, and have mowed with it like that twice :rofl:.

View attachment 118799

View attachment 118800

This is dedication. I mean I take care of my riding mower but I think I’ve changed the oil twice in the 15 years I’ve owned my push mower.
Just changed the plug for the first time on it this year. [emoji1787]

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
This is dedication. I mean I take care of my riding mower but I think I’ve changed the oil twice in the 15 years I’ve owned my push mower.
Just changed the plug for the first time on it this year. [emoji1787]
A lot of it is OCD. I generally follow the manual for service recommendations on everything. Also sharpen the blade monthly :rofl: Not sure why, not like I’m concerned about peak HP or MPG on a mower.

• Wow
Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
If it was a side piece I could see it getting less attention. Looking to go electric on my blower as I don’t feel like having more small engines other than the mower and snowblower to deal with.

As far as sharpening the blades, a lot of it is for aesthetics. I have read though that a clean cut is less susceptible to fungus and other disease.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I support accidentally over spreading weed control into the neighbor’s cow pasture, essentially moving the weed line away from your yard.

Carry on
No, the crisp line of domination is more satisfying. Google street view captured mine forever
0E100654-AC2D-4564-BEFE-84577B8E6273.jpeg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

I’ve had my lawn Honda lawnmower for 4 years and zero issues after u sharpened your blade I took mine off and brought it too work and used table grinder. Thanks for reminding me on sharpening the blade plus I removed all the wet grass underneath. I saw this tool I was wondering if any of u guys have used it before.

IMG_0272.jpg

Reactions: DanJ

Thread Info