🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Blades I use on the tractor after last sharpening. I will be getting another set as these are getting wore as I find that I have to sharpen them about once a month during the season and I've had them for a couple years now.

The funny thing is the OEM mulching blade cuts better, but mulches for shit compared to these. These don't cut quite as well, but mulch infinitely better.

20210904_135000[1].jpg

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Same here. My front yard is great, but my back yard is a sea of weeds. When I build a new garage I'm going to tear everything out, re-grade it, and start fresh.
I’m almost at that point myself. The ground is all bumpy and I have a low spot. It may be easier to just tear it all out and re-grade and lay down sod

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I’m almost at that point myself. The ground is all bumpy and I have a low spot. It may be easier to just tear it all out and re-grade and lay down sod

The previous owner had all sorts of landscaping and rocks (covering about 33% of the yard) that she then let grow over. So it's weeds/grass/soil with a layer of rocks below. The yard is ~6-8" higher than it should be, graded all wrong, and just ugly. I need to get back there with a bobcat and take out like 2-3 dump trucks worth of rocks and soil.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Finally finished cutting the yard with the Ryobi electrical mower. I did not charge the battery after I did the front yard earlier this week, I wanted to see if I could do the yard on 1 charge.

spoiler, I was not able to. We will be picking up a 2nd battery to be able to cut the yard in 1 go.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Finally finished cutting the yard with the Ryobi electrical mower. I did not charge the battery after I did the front yard earlier this week, I wanted to see if I could do the yard on 1 charge.

spoiler, I was not able to. We will be picking up a 2nd battery to be able to cut the yard in 1 go.
How big is your yard?

I have about .40 of an acre and I can cut about 80% of it with my 27 year old battery powered Black & Decker before it runs out of juice.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

I just cut my front grass and it was really tall and not exactly dry and the lawn mower struggled today. I can see how u used up all your juice on the battery

Reactions: Aircal

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
How big is your yard?

I have about .40 of an acre and I can cut about 80% of it with my 27 year old battery powered Black & Decker before it runs out of juice.

We're on 1/4 acre, but like Beast said, the grass was tall and wet, so I'm also not suprised that it went through all the battery. This was the first cutting of the year, and with all the rain, the grass is thick and green and tall!

Lot​

• Lot size: 0.28 Acres
  • Lot size dimensions: 80 X 150

Reactions: nytebyte

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Mowed just my front yard yesterday. Like others it’s the first of the year and was tall and damp. Then I remembered the one thing I wanted to do in the winter to the riding lawnmower was sharpen the blades. I don’t think my dad ever sharpened those blades ever and it’s a 20 year old mower. I’ll take care of it one of these mornings.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, 5th time doing it this season and my tractor had a harder time getting through it, was cutting like crap in certain parts because their was so much under the deck being cut and mulched that it wasn't being effective at cutting, so I had to go over some sections twice and finished just before the storms came through. I also think it's time to sharpen again.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Speaking of leveling….

I’ve got a few giant divots where trees used to be and the underground portions of the stump have since rotted out and sunk in. Anything I should be doing beside filling with dirt, compacting and seeding? I’m going to order a good 4-5 yards of dirt.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Makes sense to me. I’d use topsoil for leveling but my yard is basically straight clay so I could use the sand to aid in drainage and I feel like it’s get locked in a lot better.

I’m at a loss of what to do right now though because we have sone landscapers coming out to basically tear up half my yard for flower beds, trees installed, etc… I don’t want to get the lawn too good because it’s just going to get torn the guck up by their equipment. They are supposed to throw down wood to drive on but it won’t be perfect

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Makes sense to me. I’d use topsoil for leveling but my yard is basically straight clay so I could use the sand to aid in drainage and I feel like it’s get locked in a lot better.

I’m at a loss of what to do right now though because we have sone landscapers coming out to basically tear up half my yard for flower beds, trees installed, etc… I don’t want to get the lawn too good because it’s just going to get torn the guck up by their equipment. They are supposed to throw down wood to drive on but it won’t be perfect
Then wait until fall to really dial her in.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
Man it looked good in the sun this morning... Error 404: Not many weeds found

Editing: 2 years ago, this was a weed farm. I.E. a crabgrass farm, creeping charlie farm, dandelion infested farm and probably several other things, farm. Called in Weiss, this is the result. They do all the heavy lifting. All I do is mow it (with a gas powered machine BTW...), and trim it along sidewalks, trees, etc, with my trimmer (also gas). I don't do a damn thing else...

View attachment 117895
Damn that looks great. Wonder if your guy would service Algonquin?

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Probably not but it doesn't hurt to try. Their number 630-313-4626. I have had them for several years at that house and when I asked if they service Elgin, they said no. Awhile later, I pull out of our Elgin house, drive around the corner in our subdivision, and see a "Weiss" sign in a lawn. So I called them up asking "WTF??" And they agreed to do it. Not sure if they're still of the same mindset now though.

Reactions: willsmysticcobra

Thread Info