🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Oh yea, and no more backyard soup for me. Our old sump discharge line got clogged as whoever installed it (was here when we moved in) used the wrong pipe and didn’t have any grates on the inlet or outlet. So I had a company cone out and remove it and properly install a new system. And sure as shit it started pouring as soon as they started so they were working in slop all day. They replaced it with solid pipe till about the fence and then they did a proper drain tile to soak up more stuff and a pop up down further by the pond. They also tied in my downspout for the back of the house using proper freeze breaks and leaf filters as well so basically any water coming from the back of my house will be going directly into the pond

C0BB393A-9A24-403E-85E2-86F8A8A495DC.jpeg

CDB8685E-57EC-43BD-A556-2442034147D2.jpeg

DE326D41-1C9F-4DED-B60B-798F88687084.jpeg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
No one mentioned how their yards exploded from the rain... I did both on Saturday.

At the Elgin house, a yard that takes 45 minutes to an hour was double that. Not because the engine was bogging down or anything, just that with the growth, even with a freshly sharpened blade, it was so long that if I went over it in the lowest speed setting, it'd just push the grass over. So I had to inch it along in one section just to give the blade time to cut. Then at the other house, even the tractor had to work to get through it.

Anyway, leaving for work this morning, looking at it, I should've mowed again yesterday... It grew again that quickly.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
sup.

Finally getting some time to give my yard attention after moving in a couple months ago. I have an astronomical amount of clover, dandelion and plantain growing errrrwhere. Is there anything worthwhile doing to start killing it off this time of year and not trashing the grass? I’d say in the average 10’x10’ square of yard there are 20-40 weeds.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I’m pretty happy with how my back lawn has come back. Last fall I sprayed it with Tenacity to kill off the creeping bent grass that started to spread. That left a lot of bare spots.

I seeded a few times and have been watering frequently. The lawn has started to fill in and looks the best it has since I moved in. It’s not 100% as there are still some areas where grass density is light, but I plan to aerate and overseed in early September and that should help.

E5869904-8B16-45DE-BDBA-50E7ABF60125.jpeg

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Fuck well I need to join this club. Just went from a townhouse to a single family with 3/4 of an acre of grass and landscaping that has not been touched by the old owner in years.

Thus far I grabbed my parents riding lawnmower. Still need about 100 other things for this. Luckily I’ve Been here almost 2 weeks and its been soo dry here the lawn has barely grown. All the recent rain missed McHenry.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Welcome... The grass is, ahem, greener here. :D

So Saturday, I had to trudge the tractor through the lawn at the other house. It was like chopping down a forest that grew. So I went over it twice. The second time (crossing my first pattern), to get up the extra mulch I had made on the first pass, and to clean up the cut. When you get that much grass under the deck, it doesn't cut as clean.

Anyway, stopped over there this morning to check on a few things... Looks like I never cut it... Fucking amazing what a little bit of water supplied by Mother Nature will do.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
sup.

Finally getting some time to give my yard attention after moving in a couple months ago. I have an astronomical amount of clover, dandelion and plantain growing errrrwhere. Is there anything worthwhile doing to start killing it off this time of year and not trashing the grass? I’d say in the average 10’x10’ square of yard there are 20-40 weeds.

Id start with something as simple as Ortho Weed B Gon in a hose end sprayer once it cools off. You spray weed killer over 85 degrees and it can hurt your grass. Eventually if you get your grass to thicken up it should choke most of that stuff out and you won’t need chemicals as much.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I’ve come to the conclusion I just have shit grass in my front yard. My side yard I seeded last fall is a deep vibrant green and I almost never water it. The front yard got watered through the drought, and even after the 4”+ of rain we’ve had in the past 2-3 weeks it still is heat stressed and has brown spots. It’s been treated with a type 3 and type 11 fungicide so it’s not fungus. As much as I don’t want to seed the back yard and overseed the front at the same time I can’t stand being pissed off at my front yard again next year so I’ll probably be doing that in august. Starting half my back yard from seed and over seeding the front so sprinklers will be running constantly.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
That’s really weird considering that’s a warm season grass usually found in the south. Yard looks good in spring and fall, but some of the grass up front can’t tolerate any amount of heat regardless of how much potassium I’m throwing at it.

Side yard I seeded last fall and have watered once this year. (That’s a maple tree growing in it too)
5BD40DA0-D261-4BC0-9075-A0A2A9B531B8.jpeg

Front yard that gets watered and the same fertilizer and bio stimulant program the side does.

22A31E43-15D2-48BA-9C83-DA1C651E6AE6.jpeg

I’m torn between overseeding the front, top dressing it with top soil or both.

Thread Info