Lawn & Equipment Thread

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Picked up this LA 165 from a lumberyard I do a lot of business with for $300. It needed the steering replaced.

It had 1 gray replacement wheel on it and it needed a battery as it's been sitting for a couple years. It's pretty clear this thing has not been greased much. The deck spindles have some slop in them, and the front wheels/spindles have some play as well. Oh well, at least parts are cheap and it seems to run good on 2 year old gas.

It needs a new belt yet, and someone put a dinky little c-clip on the wheel I painted, so that will need to be replaced.

IMG_20200630_151145474_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200630_145639274_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200630_145624698.jpg
IMG_20200630_145600772.jpgIMG_20200630_145546237_HDR.jpgIMG_20200630_145555675_HDR.jpg

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Not that anyone cares, but an update on my mower. I went to the local dealer, and they were shitty. So not going back there, which is unfortunate but oh well. Yesterday I was randomly looking at dealers used mowers. I ended up finding a 2018 John Deere Z925M for a good price. So I shot a quick message asking for pics and how many hours. I got a call back saying it was brand new in the crate and not even assembled yet. It was just a left over 2018 that they never sold. Now don't get me wrong, its still expensive especially with the tweels (which I would get) but its almost $4,000 off the MSRP. A brand new Z915E (base model commercial unit) would be more money.

The 925 is fuel injected and actually flex fuel capable. This one has the mid level isolation seat, which is an option my neighbor wishes he had gotten on his. It is WAY overkill for my lawn, but that also means it should last me forever. I am a bit hesitant on the EFI for some reason. The wife is half on board with it, only because it is so expensive. I think I should go grab it, what do you guys think?

• Wow
Reactions: Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
These models are all way above my pay grade, but do you think you could talk them down a bit more? I have a feeling that if the FI should have issues, won't you need to take it back them? One of those items they don't want the consumer getting their fingers into?

Worse case, see what they're going for on the used market and flip it, make some cash.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
These models are all way above my pay grade, but do you think you could talk them down a bit more? I have a feeling that if the FI should have issues, won't you need to take it back them? One of those items they don't want the consumer getting their fingers into?

Worse case, see what they're going for on the used market and flip it, make some cash.
Its above my paygrade as well. Its 3 times the cost of my current mower :cry: I would try to beat them up some more on the price, because I have nothing to lose really. They sell for more used, so I could flip it for some money in theory.

I really want to get a commercial unit which is way overkill. The price of entry for them is all around the same 8-9k new. I would probably be fine going a step or two up from my current model, something with some beefier hydraulics for a start. Those are more like 5-6k, but I am worried I will have issues again in a few years. If I go commercial, which is mean to be run all day every day for years, I should never wear it out. That could just be me justifying it though :D

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
why be against efi?

I have no good reason? I am not against it exactly, just hesitant. Probably because its not as common?

Does the warranty start new from when you purchase it? I think I’d grab it. They resell pretty easy I think.

That is a great question, I will need to find out. I think I would be able to get my money back for years since the hours will always be crazy low. Even if I bought a brand new 2020, since I am a homeowner my hours will always be low for that type of mower. Mine will always be way nicer condition too since it stays inside and its just me using it.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I'm a john Deere fanboy. With that being said, I think John Deere makes cheap/light mowers that are not actually made to last. If I were to spend that kind of money, I'd be looking at a used truely commercial mower such as a Scag or Exmark.
I think the residential series are not up to the same level as others. Like the 300 and 500 series, the 700's are OK looking. The commercial stuff (900) seems really solid. I do think you still get less for your money as far as features with Deere compared to others. That is all just from reading, and looking on line. I need to get out and get hands on with some to see what I think. I know my mower next to my neighbors (Deere Z915B) is not even a comparison. His weighs twice as much, is way bigger, control is insanely smoother, and so on. Then again you are comparing a lower end residential to a commercial unit.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
That seems like a pretty good deal, but that is still a ton of money. I would think something 1/3 of that price would do the same thing for you.
I have one that is 1/3 the price, and its been pissing me off all year :) But yes, I think really something in the mid range (say 5-6k) would be more than enough. I am just leery of not going all out since this one acted up on me if that makes sense.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
If anyone has a good running push mower for sale let me know. Need something for tight spaces where I don't want to spend time weedwacking and a rider can't go.

Selling for a buddy, could use new wheels if you have hills but was doing fine on his flat lawn.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I have one that is 1/3 the price, and its been pissing me off all year :) But yes, I think really something in the mid range (say 5-6k) would be more than enough. I am just leery of not going all out since this one acted up on me if that makes sense.
Your hustler is still under warranty, right? If your dealer won't do anything about it, I would load it up and take it somewhere else.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Your hustler is still under warranty, right? If your dealer won't do anything about it, I would load it up and take it somewhere else.

It is still under warranty. I went and talked to the dealer right by my house, but I am not going to bring it there for sure. I'd have to look up what other dealers are in the area, and what their hours are. At this point I am just going to get a new mower anyway though. The question is do I jump on this deal now, or wait till next year and grab something in spring. Looking at mowers online is damn near impossible because any of them are pretty much split down the middle of its the best ever, or X brand is way better. People seem to be extremely brand loyal on mowers. I have only run mine, and my neighbors Z915B like I said. He has run a lot of different mowers, and prefers the Deere clearly. Also the Deere dealer being close, and having a good reputation is a big plus. The place I bought my mower is great, except the service department. Its also about an hour away, and with COVID their hours suck for me. On paper though I do really like the Hustler X-One mower (as an example). If you compare to Deere it seems a little nicer for less money. People really seem to like Ferris, ExMark always comes up, SCAG, Bob Cat, Walker, and many others. I am sure any of their commercial mowers will be way overkill and last me my whole damn life. Its hard to really know which to get over the others for my use. Like if the spindles wear out at 1500 hours, do I really care about that? I put ~40 hours a year on mine so I would probably never even get to that point you know.

I am babbling, because I overthink everything. I want a new mower, and I want it to be my "last" mower I will ever need. Likely something just a bit nicer than mine would do the job. Hell even mine should be able to. But because I am nuts I want to go big once and be done. Unfortunately for me when it comes to mowers there is not 1 clearly superior brand or model so I spend an insane amount of time looking at the hundreds of options. I am mostly considering this Deere because of the deal. If it wasn't the price it is, I am not sure I would seek out that specific model.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info