Lawn & Equipment Thread

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I can't blame you there. I just don't have much confidence in small engines. If this really is your last mower, that would be great. But I have doubts that it would be. Mowers do surprise me sometimes though, if maintained. We have a 1998 John Deere lt155 on the farm. (Cheap throwaway mower imo.) There is no hour meter on it, but I would guess it gets somewhere around 100 put on a year. So that's basically 2000 hours on it, and we haven't done much to it, besides oil changes, keeping it greased, and other general maintenance. It's basically shot though, but it does run pretty good.

Reactions: Broke EF

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I know what you mean. Most things aren't exactly built to last anymore. That is another pro for commercial units, they are much more serviceable than smaller units. So I am hoping with good general maintenance whatever I get lasts me a long time. Not really forever, but I would like to get a lot of time out of it without any issues. That is why the EFI causes me some concern. How well is that going to hold up over the years? How available are parts going to be for it down the road? It likely would be just fine, but with it being way less common than carbs on this type of gear its kind of an unknown. Overthinking takes over again :)

Reactions: GTPpower

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
So small update. I have been emailing back and forth with a sales guy on it. We got to the part about my trade in and he wanted pics. No big deal, I gave him all the info and had the wife grab some pics for me. I told him it has about 50 hours on it. I remember looking on Saturday and it was 50 something. When she sends me the pics it shows 100.3!!! I bought it in like mid/late June last year. I have only ever mowed my yard, and it takes me about an hour to do so. I sent the pics over, but its been bugging me since my neighbor has ~110 hours on his and he has had his like 3 years. So I was thinking about it, and I think it records when the key is "ON" not when its running. Looking on line I can find a handful of places that says that is how it works. The neighbors kid was climbing on it the other day, and she likes to play with keys (she is 2) so I figured she turned it on. Well it was in the "ON" position when my wife checked it a couple hours later, but it was still at 100.3 hours.

I really dont think I have that many hours on it. I am hoping I have the paperwork from when it was at the dealer, and that they recorded the hours. I am sure my trade value is pretty much screwed anyway now though.

• Angry
Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
The wife was drinking with the neighbors wife yesterday, so we ended up hanging out for a bit. Eventually he asked about the mower, if I was getting it etc. My wife was is weakly trying to talk me out of it was like "will it even fit in our garage?!" So I said lets find out :)

i-jM7KSRJ-X4.jpg

The answer is yes, yes it will. Now I planned on moving mine and seeing how it was with the ATV, but turns out my battery was 100% dead. Which I think explains why the hour meter just shows 100.3 still. When I get home today I am going to put it on the charger and see if it goes up when the key is on and the battery has juice. The Deere has 110 hours on it, and he has had it for 3 years (all confirmed yesterday). We have the same size lots (close enough) so there is no way I have a legit 100 hours on mine. It probably is closer to 30-40, but I am sure the key has been left on at other times as well. I can think of 1 other time for sure. We will see what the dealer offers, but he said they base it on hours so it will hurt the price for sure. If it hurts it enough I may "fix" that problem.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
After a week of back and forth, I now own a 2018 John Deere Z925M with the tweels :)

Loaded up the hustler to trade it in
i-3Qpfcp9-X4.jpg

Out with the "old" and in with the "new" I say it in quotes because the Hustler was a 2019 and the Deere is a 2018 :)
i-Nn3HqTk-X4.jpg

Of course by the time I got it fueled up and back home it started to rain. Luckily it only drizzled for a bit so I was able to mow. This thing stripes like a beast!

i-XXJ6XVN-X4.jpg

No striping kit, and my grass is pretty much junk, so I was impressed. The tweels hold hills awesome too. When I used my neighbors it wasnt really able to go sideways along my culvert (the other side of the yard) and I almost got it stuck when it slid down. This one will go exactly where I point it and hold perfect. Even my old one would slide down one part on the other side of those trees, not this one :D

All in all I am super happy with it. I think I got a great deal on it, and it cuts better than I expected. Only down side, its a touch slower than my neighbors. Its not surprising, they are damn near the same mower (same power) but I have a weight bar bumper deal, I weigh more, I had more gas etc. Worse than losing was me almost flipping it over on our first attempt :) Note to self, it has a LOT more power than my Hustler.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Yes all hour meters are ran off simply if the ignition is on. I would've lost my shit completely
Learn something new every day. I cant be all that mad at a 2 year old for being a 2 year old. I probably shouldn't leave the keys in it, or I should have checked it before we went inside. I know for next time. I am sure I have done the same thing on my ATV but not for as long, but it sits with the key on more than it should. Pull up to talk to someone just hit the kill switch and leave it. Ill just be more conscious of it going forward.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Towed this thing 900 miles home on a snowmobile trailer converted to a stake side with 8 year old 5.30x12 lrc tires. Cruised 70 the whole way without issue. Just unloaded her and hooked up the 60 inch deck. (bitch weighs like 200lbs) Thing is a joke on my postage stamp sized lawn but we are planning on buying some property either up north or around here in the next few years. I will almost always take free.

20200824_121003.jpg

20200824_121017.jpg

20200824_121045.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So my 27 year old Yard Man riding mower caught on fire last weekend. Think the engine has finally gone. I need to tear it apart this weekend to see what the issue is and if it can be fixed.

Anyone have a source for replacement engines? This one has a Briggs & Stratton 13HP vertical motor Type 0136 01. Having trouble finding something.

If I can't get it fixed, anyone have a used rider for sale? The one I have has a 38" deck, which is about as wide as I can go... it's also hydrostatic (transmission), which I like since most of what I cut is flat ground.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
So my 27 year old Yard Man riding mower caught on fire last weekend. Think the engine has finally gone. I need to tear it apart this weekend to see what the issue is and if it can be fixed.

Anyone have a source for replacement engines? This one has a Briggs & Stratton 13HP vertical motor Type 0136 01. Having trouble finding something.

If I can't get it fixed, anyone have a used rider for sale? The one I have has a 38" deck, which is about as wide as I can go... it's also hydrostatic (transmission), which I like since most of what I cut is flat ground.

My buddy Jonny owns Northwest Lawn and Power in Itasca. They sell new Briggs engines.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Towed this thing 900 miles home on a snowmobile trailer converted to a stake side with 8 year old 5.30x12 lrc tires. Cruised 70 the whole way without issue. Just unloaded her and hooked up the 60 inch deck. (bitch weighs like 200lbs) Thing is a joke on my postage stamp sized lawn but we are planning on buying some property either up north or around here in the next few years. I will almost always take free.

View attachment 65355

View attachment 65356

View attachment 65357

425/45/55 were the best L&G tractors Deere ever built.
Check the year for the cam gear update, update if necessary and run it.

Reactions: Intel

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Bumping this for the start of the season.
My neighbor passed away and his daughters inherited all his shit. I've been tasked with moving this gem down the road. Anyone know what it's worth? Cleaned the carb and it fired right up and ran perfect. Was going to change the oil and replace the leaking carb bowl gasket. The guy tool really good care of it and actually keep it in his garage

9B8EDAFC-28C1-40C7-8FE2-BDD00457EAFE.jpeg

5B04F71B-7DD5-4C43-9DD2-740FF3348A4C.jpeg

83152B93-756D-45DF-A1F3-EB5D95F9CD80.jpeg

B7C9DB74-275D-4F8E-972B-A44AE2B9AD7B.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info